Author Topic: Spring bobbers for gills  (Read 41224 times)

Offline allenca

• IceShanty Rookie
Spring bobbers for gills
« on: Feb 08, 2006, 08:39 AM »
I was Just wondering how many people on here use spring bobbers. I've used them for the last couple of years and would never fish for Gills without them.

bigdave1018

Re: Spring bobbers for gills
« Reply #1 on: Feb 12, 2006, 01:05 PM »
i used them to but now i use gold line for the main line and fluro or camo for a dropper or tippet. usually no more then 4# for the main and 2# for the dropper. im a line watcher and if anything happens to your line set the hook!!!!!!!!!!!!! the gills can suck in taste and sip out the bait faster then you can set the hook so keep on yout toes.

Offline Swift

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Feb 12, 2006, 02:28 PM »
Love them but I make my own. Like them longer than can be purchased and make the hole at the end much larger.

Offline Gibby

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Feb 12, 2006, 06:27 PM »
I also use and make my own spring bobbers. Use a ball point pen spring and a rubber gromet. Works for me.

Gibby

crowkiller

« Reply #4 on: Feb 23, 2006, 10:37 AM »
i use wire strike indicators

Offline Fat Boy

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Team Mason-Dixon - Crappie beware!
« Reply #5 on: Feb 23, 2006, 11:12 AM »
Yes, for panfish the ol' spring can be the ticket.  I have several old rods that I broke the tip off accidentally and saved, then installed my own home made spring.  I was upset when I broke the rods but those are now my go to rods!  Each set up that I have has it's own application, and springs are definitely in my arsenal.

Love to watch lines too.  Line goes slack, spring goes up, SET THE HOOK! :woot:
Kevin Wilson
http://fatboysoutdoors.blogspot.com/

Don't Leave Fish to Find Fish!

Offline Auger

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Chicks dig blaze orange!
« Reply #6 on: Feb 23, 2006, 11:45 AM »
I really like the new Frabill spring bobbers this year.  I think they're called Panfish Poppers.  The only trouble is that they are tough to thread.  I swiped a bobbin threader from my fly tying desk and threw it in my tackle box.  Works fine.
High Chancellor of WIRC and Provost of Potent Potable Procurement .

Seattle Seven Member #000003

Offline Van_Cleaver

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Feb 28, 2006, 09:38 PM »
LOL! I also have a Panfish Popper and swiped (and lost) the bobbin threader from my fly  tying supplies. Then I was forced to make one which is kept in my tackle box. The problem with this type, which is like the Thorne Bros. model, (also own) is they are not efficient in the really cold weather. You constantly have to blow through them to de-ice, or else the line doesn't slip through the small hole towards the reel. Schooley type spring steel are more resistant to that problem; but I like spinning reels with a good drag for really big gills. A good noodle rod with a bright tip on it is also a good weapon, as well.

Offline icejunky

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • TEAM ONTARIO
« Reply #8 on: Oct 10, 2006, 12:35 PM »
I have three rods set-up for gills (and other panfish) all have spring bobbers or strike indicaters, they are a must. You can find a few good ones out there, the Frabil Panfish popper as mentioned above works great, but yes it's very hard to thread, even harder if you have to do it on ice in a breeze. But the Marmish rods make for great fishing along with the new St.Croix ($$$$).

Offline backatit

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Oct 13, 2006, 01:28 PM »
the Frabil Panfish popper as mentioned above works great, but yes it's very hard to thread, even harder if you have to do it on ice in a breeze.

I bought a spring bobber threader last year from Thorne Bros.  It's pretty cheap but the shipping will hit you pretty hard if you just order them and nothing else.  It works on the same principal as a needle threader your mother, wife, girlfriend, etc uses for sewing.  Here's the link and you can see what I'm talking about.  I'm lucky in that I'm close to the Twin Cities and a buddy picked up a couple for me so I didn't have to pay shipping.

http://www.thornebros.com/winter/rods/thorne/spring_bobber_threader.html

Offline Van_Cleaver

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Oct 13, 2006, 02:01 PM »
You can make one easily if you have some fine wire. I think I used some single strand, stainless wire leader. Take a 7-8'' piece of wire and kink it so the legs are parallel. Wrap some electrical tape around the ends for a handle; and you're good to go. When you lose it you won't be so pi##ed off.

Offline Icenutter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Oct 13, 2006, 07:08 PM »
You can buy the St.Croix spring bobber and attach them to any rod with little materials.  St.Croix bobber $5.00, size 8 eyelet .99 and a rubber gromet $1.00.  Take some fly fishing string and some epoxy.  I attached the spring bobbers to all my rods.  Better than paying $50.00 for the legend.  I believe these are the best bobbers made and come in differnt strengths.

Bring on the ice!!!!!!!  <br />      

Offline joco

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Oct 13, 2006, 08:35 PM »
HI ICENUTTER

I try to find those bobbers on the st croix internet site.......i can t see them..... :(

this is what i had in mind,,,to put a bobber on my rods like a legend,,,and i saw your rods....good job bud... ;)..

now i want to do the same wit mine,,,but can t find the bobber and kit...

joco :)

Offline Icenutter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Oct 13, 2006, 09:35 PM »
HI ICENUTTER

I try to find those bobbers on the st croix internet site.......i can t see them..... :(

this is what i had in mind,,,to put a bobber on my rods like a legend,,,and i saw your rods....good job bud... ;)..

now i want to do the same wit mine,,,but can t find the bobber and kit...

joco :)

Jocko, here you go bud.  Spring Bobber

You won't find a kit because they will not sell you the entire spring system.  They will only sell you the spring itself.  You will have to get a size 8 one footed eyelet and a rubber gromet from a hardware store like Lowes.  Take the eylete and place it on the rod tip and rap it with some bowsting serving or fly fishing string and then use a small amount of epoxy to secure the eyelet.  It is very simple to do.  Good Luck.
Bring on the ice!!!!!!!  <br />      

Offline IceRover

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Oct 15, 2006, 09:24 AM »
but yes it's very hard to thread, even harder if you have to do it on ice in a breeze.
A suggestion here is not a needle threader but a needle. We use a larger than usual needle which you can purchase in a assorted needle package for home care chores. It costs about a buck or so. They have curved and different sizes. Sort of like a bait needle. Just back it through your spring bobber, slip your line through the hole, then pull it out! That's it, your good to go! We take a old ballpoint pen and remove the insides
and push a piece of paper or cork near the tip inside to store and carry around these needles. Slip in your shirt pocket and your all set.  :)
Works for us, good luck.

Offline tip-uptwo

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Oct 15, 2006, 11:33 AM »
When the fish are inactive and biting very light, I find it a must to have a few rods rigged with spring bobbers . Most days fish are slamming baits and because crappie and gills swim upwards after inhaling a bait, it's not always necessary to use 'em..Good to have in the arsenal though...
Andrew

Offline icejunky

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • TEAM ONTARIO
« Reply #16 on: Oct 15, 2006, 11:57 AM »
I catn agree more, like stated previously, I always have two if not three rods rigged with some form of spring bobber

Offline panfishman13

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #17 on: Jan 11, 2008, 12:15 PM »
i just tryed out a spring bobber for the first time, for an hour after i had caught my last fish i sat with no luck i decided to check my bait, when i bent down to hand line my hook in (no sense in having to find the depth again) i saw my spring bobber moving so lightly that at first i thought it was me breathing on it, i held my breath and watched and it kept moving, is et the hook and came up with a beautiful 17" bass. spring bobbers have now been added to every rod. ;D

Offline icecaptain

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #18 on: Jan 14, 2008, 08:29 PM »
like spring bobbers myself, however i like regular bobber for crappie
"the worst day of fishing is always better than a great day at work"

Offline slabgill

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Crappie!!!!
« Reply #19 on: Jan 17, 2008, 09:03 PM »
Spring Bobbers are the best thing in my arsenal. :tipup:

Offline RealityCheck

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #20 on: Jan 17, 2008, 10:07 PM »
I fish solely with spring bobbers ;D  These are the most sensitiveway I can find to fish.  If there is a better way to catch finicky fish then I would like a personal lesson. ::)
Bullet with a name on it.

Offline gillkiller1125

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Ahhhh.......... Ice
« Reply #21 on: Jan 30, 2008, 03:03 PM »
The only rod I don't have a spring bobber on is my ice-blues 24" UL but that doesn't need one.
Kids who hunt, fish, and trap, don't mug little old ladies.
Good luck, and tight lines to all.
Official Stomach of the MIRC

Offline tofishem

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #22 on: Jan 31, 2008, 11:58 AM »
I've done something similar to icenutter's only I used a flyrod tip eye and notched out the tip to fit the rod and epoxyed it.

I also make my own spring bobbers outta piano wire and solder'em on. That's a little tricky unless you know a machinist!

Offline walleye tattoo

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Wisconsin chapter
« Reply #23 on: Feb 13, 2008, 10:01 PM »
I received a St.Croix m lite as present and after using it this season if lost or broke I would pay for a new one I really like the way it works. Longer lite rods are a hassle in the wind.JMO.

Live to fish forced to work

Offline Tomhusker

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • We're making ICE boys!!
« Reply #24 on: Feb 27, 2008, 08:26 PM »
 I use the frabil spring bobbers, and I use a darning needle to thread the line thru. Takes seconds to get it done, the needle eye is friggin' huge so I don't have to stab at it with the micro line.

Offline rileyross

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • "damn i forgot the bait"
« Reply #25 on: Mar 02, 2008, 12:41 PM »
They are the best i was out yesterday and they where real lite biters so you had to look for the slightest monement in your sping bobber. With out it i would have caught anything. The only down side is that they freeze up easily.
"Just thinkin about jiggin"

Offline captain54

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #26 on: Mar 08, 2008, 08:39 AM »
Spring bobbers are the way to go,I like springs from Bic lighter but the Frabill popper and St.CROIX are good.They are a must on the light bite day's,when there pounding I use a couple different rods without springs,but I'm spoon fishing w/Frosty's or Forage minnows.

Offline pan fish nut

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #27 on: Dec 25, 2008, 01:01 PM »
If you guys are having trouble threading spring bobbers give this a try. Go to anyplace that sells fly tying equipment and ask for a "Bobbin Threader", you can even do it with gloves on with this tool.  Were did you get the right size grommets? Johnboy Catchin any fish way up there?

Offline goony28

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #28 on: Feb 02, 2009, 02:51 PM »
I use Frabill spring bobbers. Seem to work the best just stick them in the last eye lit.

Offline snuffcan

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #29 on: Feb 02, 2009, 03:42 PM »
I make my own out of electric guitar strings The "g" or "b" strings work best. Under a buck$$ for single strings at any music store. One string makes many bobbers.  Cut  whatever length you want (about 4-6 inches?) Make a small loop in one end by wrapping it around a pen or pencil; tie the loop off with some fly tying thread or twist it together. Attach the other end to the top of the rod so it extendes out off the tip. tie it down with thread, finish with head cement or clear nail polish, etc. Very sensitive and elastic. Doesn't clog up with ice like a spring can in bad weather.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.