New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: ONEIDA LAKE DIEHARDS  (Read 1032320 times)

Offline Hardwater2

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: ONEIDA LAKE DIEHARDS
« Reply #7590 on: Feb 27, 2022, 02:13 PM »
Where there any machines going out of Chapman?How about bait near by.Since Cookies closed I’ve only traveled farther east and gotten bait from Lake Side Outfitters.Just hate to back track.

Saw a few machines out. I had my snowmobile. Lakeside outfitters for bait.

Offline yankmyline

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7591 on: Feb 27, 2022, 04:12 PM »
Chowdaire those are mayfly larva.

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #7592 on: Feb 27, 2022, 04:29 PM »
Chowdaire those are mayfly larva.
Yep wigglers , when the hatch is on it’s insane , I posted pics on MFF last season walleyes were stuffed with them

Offline zaphod4

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • fishing,my drug of choice
« Reply #7593 on: Feb 27, 2022, 04:29 PM »
Saw a few machines out. I had my snowmobile. Lakeside outfitters for bait.

Thank Hardwater.
It is much appreciated.
Heading out in the am.Traveling from Binghamton area and hate to have trailered my sled all that way and then not get to use it.

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #7594 on: Feb 27, 2022, 04:39 PM »
 Here is a pic of the hatch June 28 2021

Offline DeadEyez

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7595 on: Feb 27, 2022, 05:00 PM »
Man that was crazy Fred! Remember the huge clouds of them while we were out there fishing lol. Miss those days when gas was only $3.08 a gallon to! 🤪
NORTH SHORE ONEIDA LAKE DIEHARD

Offline oneida1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7596 on: Feb 27, 2022, 05:02 PM »
sleds are good to go....

Offline Jigemup247

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7597 on: Feb 27, 2022, 05:32 PM »
Fished out of Chapman this morning. Ice is beat up directly in front of the launch area but it is fine to the right as you are heading out. Fished 20-22fow and caught 4 keeper walleye and a few shorts as well as 8 perch between 2 guys. Black and chrome #5 jigging rap worked best for us. Lots of marks but only a few takers.

Offline 62&done

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7598 on: Feb 27, 2022, 07:25 PM »
Fished out of Chapman this morning. Ice is beat up directly in front of the launch area but it is fine to the right as you are heading out. Fished 20-22fow and caught 4 keeper walleye and a few shorts as well as 8 perch between 2 guys. Black and chrome #5 jigging rap worked best for us. Lots of marks but only a few takers.
   Do you put any bait on your jigging raps   I got a bunch and all I can catch is the side of the hole     

Offline Jigemup247

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7599 on: Feb 27, 2022, 08:55 PM »
   Do you put any bait on your jigging raps   I got a bunch and all I can catch is the side of the hole   
We were using a half of a small emerald shiner.

Offline Dug1898

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7600 on: Feb 28, 2022, 12:54 AM »
Great stories and photos guys. I'm glad it stiffened up for you. Chowdaire that's a good looking bucket for sure! Those mixed bag buckets are a treat for the eyes and the taste buds you guys. Don't forget the Old Bay Seasoning while cooking your fish chowder.
You guys hammer them now and be safe out there.

That mayfly nymph it the Hexagenia Nymph, the largest mayfly, I think. It gets like that on Skinny too at times. Dead bugs stuck all over. Seen them on Oneida hovering above the water several feet up and several feet thick...a huge cloud.

Offline skinny4

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7601 on: Feb 28, 2022, 07:29 AM »
Heading to Oneida tomorrow for my birthday. Never actually ice fished this lake and am going to scratch it off the list before i get any older. Was thinking of going out of Chapman. Just looking for the best ice and not sure if Chapman is the best access. Not worried about the fishing much but is that the best access to good ice at this point or is there safer ice elsewhere? I've been skunked this year more than any year I can remember so I'm ok with less fish just want to be safe out there. Got a machine but willing to walk. Gonna be there tomorrow and Wednesday. Any info for best ice would be appreciated. Pm me or post here please.

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #7602 on: Feb 28, 2022, 07:41 AM »

Skinny being mobile is a plus , just give plenty of room around creek mouths and any islands you may pass

Offline Hardwater2

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7603 on: Feb 28, 2022, 08:15 AM »
Skinny being mobile is a plus , just give plenty of room around creek mouths and any islands you may pass
X2
Definitely stay far away from those creek mouths! Asking for trouble in those areas

Offline Squeakysteve

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7604 on: Feb 28, 2022, 08:40 AM »
Well my bucket didn’t end up looking like chowdaires. First time I’ve sat on one hole all season but moving with my set up would’ve been risky. Fished the southern end of the beach yesterday. 15 perch and 12 short eyes all between 13-15 inches. Water was really murked up more than I expected . Mostly all on a gold chrome rippin rap not tipped.

Offline fly_rodder

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7605 on: Feb 28, 2022, 12:26 PM »
Heading to Oneida tomorrow for my birthday. Never actually ice fished this lake and am going to scratch it off the list before i get any older. Was thinking of going out of Chapman. Just looking for the best ice and not sure if Chapman is the best access. Not worried about the fishing much but is that the best access to good ice at this point or is there safer ice elsewhere? I've been skunked this year more than any year I can remember so I'm ok with less fish just want to be safe out there. Got a machine but willing to walk. Gonna be there tomorrow and Wednesday. Any info for best ice would be appreciated. Pm me or post here please.
If you have a machine, it doesn't really matter much where you launch from.  Plenty of parking at Chapman and South Shore Boat launch.  Lewis point is dicey with limited parking.  Sylvan Beach is a good place as well.

The only bait store on the south side is Lakeside Sports right now that I know of.  Ice at Chapman is fine, I drilled ~14" yesterday and there's still a lot of hard black ice.  Just kind of slushy by the pier.

Offline bigbuck

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7606 on: Feb 28, 2022, 04:20 PM »
Has the shore ice at Godfrey frozen back up? Considering going out of there tomorrow afternoon. Thanks.

Offline zaphod4

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • fishing,my drug of choice
« Reply #7607 on: Feb 28, 2022, 04:34 PM »
To the sled out of Godfrey this morning.No issues going out or on the way in.Patchy packed snow and exposed patches of ice.Went out to 32fow.Caught 1 short eye.Moved in to 29fow and caught one decent perch.Lookers all day long.Bigger marks where in shallower.Very few fish came to my bait quickly.The ones that did were decent marks.But they weren’t bitting.

Offline bigbuck

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7608 on: Feb 28, 2022, 05:51 PM »
Thank you for the ice and fishing report zaphod4. Wish they were more cooperative for you. I will share a report late tomorrow with what I find.

Offline Hardwater2

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7609 on: Mar 01, 2022, 05:27 PM »
Fishing tomorrow from the South Shore. My last hurrah. I’ll post reports and conditions. Looks like early next week some warm temps coming….

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #7610 on: Mar 01, 2022, 05:29 PM »
Fishing tomorrow from the South Shore. My last hurrah. I’ll post reports and conditions. Looks like early next week some warm temps coming….
Good luck

Offline Hardwater2

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7611 on: Mar 01, 2022, 05:30 PM »
Thanks Fred👍

Offline XC 600

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7612 on: Mar 01, 2022, 06:16 PM »
Ice is in great shape measure 12" everywhere I've drilled. Can't pry the perch off the bottom, best fishing is coming.

Offline bigbuck

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7613 on: Mar 01, 2022, 08:45 PM »
Decided to fish out of Chapman Park today. Ice was in real good shape. Easy drag.
Managed 37 perch (4 in our group) from 1:30 to 6 pm. Also 2 short eyes.
Fish came in short spurts, not a steady flow. In the last hour they became very tight lipped and it started raining. Majority came on jigging raps tipped with minnow head. Very pleasant afternoon.

Offline oneida1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7614 on: Mar 01, 2022, 09:30 PM »
did my 50 today only second time this season.....and got a northern pike he went back about 26 in

Offline bigbuck

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7615 on: Mar 02, 2022, 12:13 AM »
Nice work Oneida1!!

Offline Db1

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7616 on: Mar 02, 2022, 12:20 AM »
Nice job onieda  thats some great dinners

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #7617 on: Mar 02, 2022, 05:26 AM »

Good job Oneida

Offline skinny4

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7618 on: Mar 02, 2022, 08:51 AM »
I can't view the reports and conditions page for Oneida. Only time in my life I needed that thread and it's gone! Lol

Offline badbrad2186

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7619 on: Mar 02, 2022, 10:09 AM »
I can't view the reports and conditions page for Oneida. Only time in my life I needed that thread and it's gone! Lol

https://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?topic=13676.180
If you sit around all day and do nothing your a bum, but if you sit in a boat all day or in a shanty and do nothing they call you a fisherman

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.