New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: ONEIDA LAKE DIEHARDS  (Read 1032132 times)

Offline regulator

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: ONEIDA LAKE DIEHARDS
« Reply #5700 on: Jan 31, 2021, 10:20 AM »
Parking area at the end of Lewis Point Rd. Fills up fast on the weekends, was there yesterday at 4:50AM and lor was full by 5:15 AM.

Offline xxxbeer247

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5701 on: Jan 31, 2021, 10:48 AM »
Being that I’m half hour east of Albany my chances at Lewis point are slim to none. Is there anywhere else in that southeast Corner that can be recommended for access or should I go to the Verona beach launch

Offline regulator

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5702 on: Jan 31, 2021, 10:58 AM »
Verona Beach is a good choice, plenty of parking. More of a walk to decent fishing grounds, but do-able. Did the long walk last year once myself, but the limit of eyes and 7 jumbos took the sting out of the hike. LOL

Offline fatboy8

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5703 on: Jan 31, 2021, 11:07 AM »
Actually staying in Verona this upcoming Thursday-Monday. Been studying Navionics and past reports so I think I have an okay idea of what to try and do. Will be machine less so I’m expecting long walks to some areas. My question is does that channel coming into Oneida around Slyvan beach trash the ice there? Pretty sure I’ll be dragging directly from where I’m staying at Verona beach right onto the ice. Just want an idea how much spudding I’ll be doing around there. And just by past reports expecting ice around ~7”? Looking forward to heading up and getting a taste of the lake. Hopefully I’ll have some decent reports next week.

Offline 2muchleft

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5704 on: Jan 31, 2021, 02:09 PM »
Went out of Godfrey this morning till noon.  Pressure crack parallel to shore out 50 ft from launch was open but solid each side on way out and in.  About 6" of solid ice at first break.  Fishing pretty slow for me but thats fishing.  Lots of trails to follow for my fellow walkers.

Offline Dsportman

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5705 on: Jan 31, 2021, 03:54 PM »

Caught and released this guy off of Lewis pt. At first I thought it was a rainbow but now I’m not sure. Anyone have an idea?

Offline oneida1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5706 on: Jan 31, 2021, 04:23 PM »
Not sure dont think a bow or brown, atlantic?

Offline komo15

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5707 on: Jan 31, 2021, 04:37 PM »
Wow.  Cool stuff!  Looks like a landlocked salmon, but no fork tail.  I'll say brown trout. 

Offline komo15

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5708 on: Jan 31, 2021, 04:43 PM »

Slaughtered the jumbos today!  2 keeper eyes.

Offline hrdcore

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5709 on: Jan 31, 2021, 04:54 PM »

.got a good pile off the south Shore this weekend..not to bad for being on foot.. 6" + were I've been..dont be afraid to look in the teens in the morning..will be back soon..

Offline hrdcore

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5710 on: Jan 31, 2021, 04:55 PM »

Slaughtered the jumbos today!  2 keeper eyes.
Nice pile..ill cut mine tomorrow

Offline reeleyz

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5711 on: Jan 31, 2021, 05:05 PM »

Caught and released this guy off of Lewis pt. At first I thought it was a rainbow but now I’m not sure. Anyone have an idea?

I would say Atlantic. Nice fish!

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #5712 on: Jan 31, 2021, 05:37 PM »
I would say Atlantic. Nice fish!
X2 Land lock

Offline oneida1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5713 on: Jan 31, 2021, 06:12 PM »
Thk god weekends over worked all weekend off Monday Nice catches guys

Offline trapper2000

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #5714 on: Jan 31, 2021, 06:52 PM »
land lock

Offline slamminsam

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5715 on: Jan 31, 2021, 06:55 PM »
Depending on how much snow we get this weekend, I’d love to come visit for first time. Me and buddy will be on foot 😢. Any, any help would be welcomed. Just where to go, park and depth to target eyes or perch. No coordinates needed, just suggested access point please. You can pm me if you’d like. Thanks. I’ll keep trying to read this thread to research other suggestions.
Take the pledge, be safe, enjoy every second of life and lets go JETS!

Offline DeadEyez

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5716 on: Jan 31, 2021, 07:10 PM »
Had another good evening on the eyes. They were a little fussy tonight but found plenty that wanted to play.

NORTH SHORE ONEIDA LAKE DIEHARD

Offline Jomat

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5717 on: Jan 31, 2021, 08:44 PM »
Wanted to give an update on the ice over at constantia from Sunday.  Staying at a lake house just east of scriba.  Got on the ice from there and headed south toward bird island.  Near shore ice def a soft 3”.  Some very sketchy pressure cracks maybe 200 yards offshore.  Then more out a little deeper.  The ice was soft/slushy around those cracks especially if there was snow present.  Def had to poke around to find spots we felt ok crossing...could see where several machines had broke thru.  Drifting snow might make it not possible to see these areas.  Made it out between the islands and the ice we were on was all hard but went from 5”-3” in the very small area we fished.  Not sure about the walk out from town but be very cautious/avoid this area.  Fishing was slow out there for us anyway, only a couple keepers and couple shorts for 3 guys and I really didn’t feel comfortable on the ice.

Offline deerefishyfishy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5718 on: Jan 31, 2021, 09:04 PM »
A buddy and I came up for our first every Oneida ice trip today. We walked out of Sylvan to about 20 fow and didn't mark anything all morning. We tore down the hub and walked out farther to about 25 fow and started marking a few fish but everything had lockjaw regardless of what we threw at them. All the guys I talked to around us were having the same luck. We ended up with one barely legal keeper eye on the only hit we got all day. Still had a blast though. The ice was anywhere from 6 inches to 9 1/2 inches and varied a lot. Lots of machines out all over the east end
The hardest part of ice fishing is casting!

Early to bed, early to rise
fish all day and make up lies!

Offline Greenhornet73

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5719 on: Jan 31, 2021, 09:17 PM »
I fished off Sylvan yesterday afternoon and had nothing but watchers for 2 hours and tried upsizing and downsizing with the same result. Finally  realized the big rap was fine, they just wanted to chase it fast up the water column. I caught 3 shorts the last half hour before I had to leave but was glad I was finally able to get some hits.
I prefer a 2oz sinker for perch...when it hits 'em they won't feel a thing

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #5720 on: Jan 31, 2021, 09:18 PM »

Nice fish Deadeyze 👍🎣🕳

Offline Crazy Ivan

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5721 on: Jan 31, 2021, 09:41 PM »
Always appreciate the info from others, wanted to share. 2 dudes, 2 days out of Sylvan. 6" of ice. Fished 21 feet Saturday, caught 1 keeper walleye and a few hogger perch. Mostly lockjaw. Short city in the pm. Sunday 24 fow. Slow,  lockjaw continued. The fish had thier masks on again🤬. From 3-5 pm we were assulted again with a barrage of shorts. 3 keeper walleyes all day and a few nice perch.

Offline grubdropper

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5722 on: Feb 01, 2021, 01:02 AM »
Fished out of Williams Sunday afternoon.   Got mostly small Perch but managed enough keepers for a meal.   Ice was 7 to 8 inches everywhere I cut.  Walking was not bad except for a few snow drifts. 

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #5723 on: Feb 01, 2021, 01:32 AM »
 Got out for the first time on Oneida with the goon boy , made a few moves and we managed to find some perch willing to play with some coaxing and thank god the walleyes stayed away

Offline DeadEyez

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5724 on: Feb 01, 2021, 05:30 AM »
Nice job Fred and Goon! Glad those nasty eyes stayed away from you lol. Looks like we have more snow on the way 👎🏻
NORTH SHORE ONEIDA LAKE DIEHARD

Offline reeleyz

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5725 on: Feb 01, 2021, 05:41 AM »
Nice fish Deadeyze 👍🎣🕳

X2 - Nice fish Bobby!

Offline pimplepounder

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5726 on: Feb 01, 2021, 05:47 AM »
Real nice eyez there Bob

Offline KingPerch

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5727 on: Feb 01, 2021, 05:57 AM »
Good work everyone!! I sat on the nursery for walleye yesterday. I quit counting after 27 short walleye without a keeper and no perch at my first spot. Made a 1/4 mile move.... picked up a nice keeper eye and 19 perch. Ice was 7-9”.
“Saving the perch population, one walleye at a time”-reeleyz 2021

Don’t worry Freddie, Hot bite is at 11:00!!😜

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #5728 on: Feb 01, 2021, 09:48 AM »

Good job KP on the perch , and leaving the nursery for some good fishing 👍

Offline trapper2000

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #5729 on: Feb 01, 2021, 10:56 AM »
good job