Author Topic: those new fake weeds  (Read 3505 times)

Offline river_scum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • hook n cook
those new fake weeds
« on: Dec 07, 2007, 10:42 AM »
i seen an add for these fake weeds you put down your holes to attract and hold fish. now myself i think this would make things more complicated, but is a good concept. have any of you set up fake stucture in your fishing holes? i think it would be a great idea but only if left in the water for the season, with a way to recover them after ice out. any ideas on this man made cover topic would be appriciated.

thx: tim
real fishermen don't ask "where you catch those"

OANN the real story

- member here since -2003- IN.

Offline scavengerj

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Warm hands, warm feet and tight lines!
Re: those new fake weeds
« Reply #1 on: Dec 07, 2007, 10:48 AM »
Hi river,
There was a thread about these4 not too long ago........
http://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?topic=58728.0
DMS #525
AMSA #1102
OBPA
RFA #1053456E

Offline RLWagner

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Dec 07, 2007, 10:53 AM »
I make mine out of fake rubber tree type plants by stringing them onto rubber duck decoy line with a decoy weight crimped onto the bottom. Then I use clear 100% silicon caulk to keep them in place on the cord.

They weigh nothing. I either surround the shanty with them, or line them up in a row with the shanty in the middle. The last technique causes fish to swim to the weeds then follow it along the edge right under the shanty.

I only use them when fishing water where the Perch roam all over and I want to concentrate and hold them, or if the bite is tough and I need an extra edge. They work, and work very well.

I said last year I would post a couple photos. I now have a photo bucket account and will do so in the next couple weeks.

If you shoot me your E-Mail, I will snap a shot with the phone and send it to ya'll sooner.
RL

Offline Fish_Tko

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Dec 07, 2007, 11:43 AM »
tim,

i just got a set in the mail today. I will let you know how things work out with them next week. ;D
There is only one theory about angling in which I have perfect confidence, and this is that the two words, least appropriate to any statement, about it, are the words "always" and "never."

Offline bingsbaits

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Dec 07, 2007, 12:05 PM »
We make our own brush piles with natural brush.. Take a 2 pound coffee can and put in about a dozen nice tree branches. Beech brush works great cause it holds its leaves also hemlock bows. Then fill the can with cement. Make about 6 of these and place in your jelly hole. Mark with your GPS and you have your own brush pile.You should see how the fish hold on these when there isn't alot of cover...
Don't Pi$$ down my back and tell me it's raining!!!

Offline hard_water

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • rippin lips all over NY
« Reply #5 on: Dec 07, 2007, 12:15 PM »
A local lake i fish has 3 or 4 stake beds where an older gentleman took average 4x4 pallets and screwed or nailed 4 foot long pieces of 2x2 around the outside edge of the pallet and sank them (im assuming with concrete blocks) in an area void of vegitation and they do hold fish.

water
GET THE NET !!!!!!!GET THE NET!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline frog eyes

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Dec 07, 2007, 05:34 PM »
There was an article in In Fisherman about making cribs w/ pvc in 1 - 3 gal of concrete in a 5 gal pail as you can fish right in it without snags and the pvc will not show on someone Else's locater unless set to very sensitive They won't rot away like x-mas trees. PVC is not a toxic.
They suggest at 16 ' depth or deeper because natural weeds won't grow there in the summer (in most lakes). They sell a version of this at bass pro for $20. It looks like a ball with spikes.
I made 6 w/ extra concrete from a driveway and overfilled the 5 gal buckets. They weighed 90lb each so I needed to wait until this ice season to set up.

Offline Lobes

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Just Fishin'
« Reply #7 on: Dec 07, 2007, 06:37 PM »
My luck I'd start catching fake fish!

NBG

Mecosta County / Lakeview, Michigan

Offline icejunky

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • TEAM ONTARIO
« Reply #8 on: Dec 08, 2007, 07:49 AM »
I bought these weeds as well, Im interested in seeing how they work, or if they work....I have a few barron spots i fish and thought it may give me a leg up, bring the fish to my hole if it is the only area with coverage...we will see, i will keep you posted

Offline river_scum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • hook n cook
« Reply #9 on: Dec 08, 2007, 12:28 PM »
it figures, fish is there anything you dont have. lol 

ill be waiting on your reports buddy and good luck at the tourney up there!

thanks for the input guys and keepum comin.

i seen the pvc thing too but i forgot to make any ::)

OANN the real story

Offline AirManCam

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • All hail to the King!!
« Reply #10 on: Dec 08, 2007, 03:07 PM »
Hmm, seems pretty interesting. What could it hurt anyways?
15lb mono pike fisherman...WHATS UP!

Offline frozentoes

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Dangit..missed 'em...again!!!
« Reply #11 on: Dec 08, 2007, 06:06 PM »
These hit the market last year and of course I had to buy them ;D
They do everything the claim. They do attract fish and hold them in your area.
They are especially good in areas that have sparse or no vegetation to speak of.
The material is excellent and will not break or fall apart like homeade ones do.
I do not use them anymore for one simple reason. I am a run and gun fisherman and choose to chase the active fish instead of waiting for them to come to me.
If you like to set-up camp and stay in one place, or have a permenant shack, these things will be a great addition to your arsenal.
If you do get them, set them up in various formations to see what works best. I know you will need more than 1 weed to make them effective. 3 is the minimum for good results.

Offline Pasquatch

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Dec 08, 2007, 06:26 PM »

NBG

I believe those are called Tiger Muskies? :P

Offline IrishIce99

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • "I am number 1. All others are number 2 or lower."
« Reply #13 on: Dec 08, 2007, 06:32 PM »

lol :laugh:
Support local bait and tackle shops --> Jay-Ve <br />   

Offline Fish_Tko

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Dec 08, 2007, 07:37 PM »
tim, u can bore some holes along my artificial reef that i am gonna set up and we'll see what happens. :woot:
There is only one theory about angling in which I have perfect confidence, and this is that the two words, least appropriate to any statement, about it, are the words "always" and "never."

Offline edfalc

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #15 on: Dec 09, 2007, 02:15 AM »
ive heard they make a version just for the cable of an aqua-vu..will probably get some AFTER christmas
Shut up and FISH

I Fish for Those who Can't

Offline icejunky

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • TEAM ONTARIO
« Reply #16 on: Dec 09, 2007, 07:30 AM »
yes they do make a weed to cover the camera cable, i thought about adding those as well but we will see how these other ones work first

Offline Lobes

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Just Fishin'
« Reply #17 on: Dec 09, 2007, 08:00 AM »
Actually fish aren't too choosy. They'll move into just about any cover or structure you can offer up. Just want to make sure that anything you send down comes back up. The DNR frowns heavily on anything you send down there permanently without their okay.

NBG

Mecosta County / Lakeview, Michigan

Offline mmb

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • "What do you do with all the ice you catch?"
« Reply #18 on: Dec 09, 2007, 10:38 AM »
Actually fish aren't too choosy. They'll move into just about any cover or structure you can offer up. Just want to make sure that anything you send down comes back up. The DNR  frowns heavily on anything you send down there permanently without their okay.

NBG

Talking with a Michigan DNR fisheries biologist, they frown on you sending these Reel Weeds down as well.  May need to "find" structure that someone else sunk in the lake.

Offline river_scum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • hook n cook
« Reply #19 on: Dec 09, 2007, 11:13 AM »
tim, u can bore some holes along my artificial reef that i am gonna set up and we'll see what happens. :woot:

you know ill take you up on that, buddy !!!

OANN the real story

Offline srobocop

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #20 on: Dec 09, 2007, 11:22 AM »
anyone know the laws in most states for artificial reefs?
-Sro
"I ain't from Michigan, I'm from the U.P."

Offline river_scum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • hook n cook
« Reply #21 on: Dec 09, 2007, 09:35 PM »
no ,thats a good question though!

OANN the real story

Offline frozentoes

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Dangit..missed 'em...again!!!
« Reply #22 on: Dec 10, 2007, 12:48 PM »
They are legal in WI and MN for sure. MN requires you to remove them at the end of the day. They are not considered a permenant structure and fall within the guidelines of these 2 states. other states may be different, but I fish these 2 areas and have verified the legality issues ;D

Offline bentrod

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #23 on: Dec 10, 2007, 01:26 PM »
Talking with a Michigan DNR fisheries biologist, they frown on you sending these Reel Weeds down as well.  May need to "find" structure that someone else sunk in the lake.

But is it illegal?

Offline Fish_Tko

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #24 on: Dec 10, 2007, 01:33 PM »
Looking in the Michigan Dnr website the only thing i could find was under

"Unlawful Activities" the following statement

Deposit litter, fish offal, or any foreign matter, in any waters of the state or on any lands, private or public.

As long as you take it back out of the water, i can't see how it can be called littering?

Offline mmb

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #25 on: Dec 10, 2007, 01:46 PM »
I asked the DNR Online Support Center and got the following response.  I'm going to play stupid if a CO ever comes up and finds me using them, but still....

Subject
---------------------------------------------------------------
What is DNR policy on residents placing temporary fish attracting structures ...

Discussion Thread
Response (Lynne Thoma) - 11/13/2007 02:07 PM
No temporary or permanent fish structure can be placed in waters of the state unless permission is granted by the local DNR fish biologist.  You would need to contact the local office which manages the county where the lake is found.  Here is the link to our field offices:  http://www.michigan.gov/documents/fish-directory_126145_7.pdf

Customer (mmb) - 11/13/2007 11:00 AM
What is DNR policy on residents placing temporary fish attracting structures like the Reel Weeds product (http://www.reelweeds.com) or the  Bill Dance Porcupine Fish Attractor?

What is DNR policy on residents placing permanent fish attracting structures such as stake beds, brush piles or evergreen structures in public waters?

What is permitting policy on resident sportsman's clubs and/or youth scouting organizations placing fish attracting structures as public works projects? 

Thank you

Question Reference #071113-000015
     Select a Topic: Fishing
Contact Information: mmb
       Date Created: 11/13/2007 11:00 AM
       Last Updated: 11/13/2007 02:07 PM
 Michigan Resident?: Yes

Offline captain54

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #26 on: Dec 11, 2007, 07:03 AM »
All fish love cover.Example,put a small rock in the bottom of your minnow bucket,every minnow will be around that rock. I fish a man made res. that was made in 1959 all the trees and stumps have rotted away,if not for the beaver huts there is no cover.I've made cribs out of pallets over 25 ftow.they are crappie and gill mecas.Almost any thing will work. I wired trees to cement blocks 12 years ago,the trees are long gone but the blocks are still there and I still can get a few bass or perch over these 8 or 10 blocks.I'm working on making cover that will last forever,forget those fake weeds,green pop bottles 16 and 20 oz mountian dew bottles,stainless wire and a couple of small brick with hole in them,drill or punch holes in your bottles,thread wire through necks of each bottle put 8 or 10 on, then fill the last bottle 3/4full of water and screw the cap back on wrap wire around the neck,this one will float the rest,tryed it in are pool(wife took a fit] but it looks great.It's light and easy,and the cheapest thing going,I'm going to sink them every this winter.Just remember who turned you on to this,The CAPTAIN

Offline scavengerj

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Warm hands, warm feet and tight lines!
« Reply #27 on: Dec 11, 2007, 07:08 AM »
Sounds like a good way to dispose of trash. Not sure I'd go that route. Bad enough most states do not allow you to place structure and may fine you but, to go and throw in trash just doesn't seem right and I am sure they'd give you a hefty fine for littering.
DMS #525
AMSA #1102
OBPA
RFA #1053456E

Offline captain54

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #28 on: Dec 11, 2007, 08:10 AM »
Car tires,pvc pipe,plastic fake plants, plastic pop bottles it's all the same material.Here in Pa. on lake wilhem they made a reef of car tires .THE FISH COMMISSION .Ok if you buy the fake plants its not litter

Offline mmb

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #29 on: Dec 11, 2007, 08:19 AM »
Car tires,pvc pipe,plastic fake plants, plastic pop bottles it's all the same material.Here in Pa. on lake wilhem they made a reef of car tires .THE FISH COMMISSION .Ok if you buy the fake plants its not litter

DNR has since found that using tires as artificial reefs leach toxins into the water.  Big stink about it down in Florida in the Gulf where they ended up paying millions to clean up old tire reefs that were installed in the 70's.

Plastic bottles would be looked at as trash, I'm sure.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.