Author Topic: First truck through the ice in MN  (Read 3513 times)

Offline spudsaway

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: First truck through the ice in MN
« Reply #30 on: Dec 13, 2013, 11:25 AM »
... but it helps! :woot:

I dunno, seems like every time you hear about someone getting into trouble out on the ice it's because they're doing something stupid or idiotic and they've thrown all caution to the wind... or don't even have enough brains to be cautious.

I  Agree.   I quoted the guy who said the real ,push it to far ,pay no logical attention, folks makes the rest of us look bad. They really do . It takes someone who knows better to tell the difference, and the majority do not ice fish.   What if you cut yourself with an auger blade that can be very severe , are we going to get a bill soon for that.  If I cut my self with a chainsaw pruning my trees no one will give me a bill.  God save me,  but it will not cost me money..

Making us look bad has too many repercussions these days..  I am happy when nobody gets hurt ,then I want to slap him upside the head and say W.T.F were you thinking twit. 

I am sure you feel the same.   Some one should make a short Meme to that effect then we can attach it to these posts.  Just a good back hand slap to the head and the words where was your head at. 

Offline thorn168

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #31 on: Dec 13, 2013, 11:48 AM »
Whenever a car/truck breaks through ice the following fluids maybe released to contaminate the waterway:

Gasoline
Motor Oil
Radiator Antifreeze
Windshield wiper Fluid
Transmission Fluid
Brake Fluid
Sulfuric acid and lead contaminated water from a cracked battery.

Add to that the possible loss or damage to the vehicle
And the possible harm to the driver and passengers…driving on the ice doesn't seem like a good idea.

Offline Drifter_016

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #32 on: Dec 13, 2013, 12:35 PM »
 ::)
Y'all got crappy ice.
We have been driving on for about a month now.
  :thumbsup:

Offline Lavman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Passing along the traditions
« Reply #33 on: Dec 13, 2013, 12:44 PM »
Y'all got crappy ice.

Bragger  ::)  ;D  :tipup:

Offline fishermantim

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #34 on: Dec 13, 2013, 12:47 PM »
They had to be the first ones out to the fishing hole

and INTO the fishing hole!

What lesson did they learn?

That ice gear don't float, and a car/truck thru the ice cost about as much as the vehicle did itself!
"I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy" - the Existential Blues

I am a legend in my own mind!

Offline JustOsmo

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #35 on: Dec 13, 2013, 01:02 PM »
Ive always wondered if your insurance company would cover accidents like this when primarily very bad judgement was involved.

I dont think they would cover it. Just like if you burn your own car.

Offline chevy hillbilly

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #36 on: Dec 13, 2013, 01:52 PM »
I dunno, seems like every time you hear about someone getting into trouble out on the ice it's because they're doing something stupid or idiotic and they've thrown all caution to the wind...

I would like to know, in all honesty, how many people have gotten themselves into a tight spot while icefishing, when the above isnt the case...IE, a weak patch of ice, surrounded by safe ice, Freak accident where safe ice(depends on the situation, but lets use 5" good ice, on foot) broke and one fell through...

im from a good ways south of the typical ice belt, some years my season is measured in days, sometimes hours. yet even as such, nearly all of the accidents that happen are self-inflicted. poor judgement.

I know icefishing can be dangerous, theres obvious issues that come with it, but from my nearly 10 years on basicly all the "accidents" come from poor judgement.

maybe it isnt really as dangerous as we think?

Offline jethro

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #37 on: Dec 13, 2013, 02:03 PM »
You guys are so quick to judge... for all we know that jeep just really, REALLY needed a bath! Is it laziness or genius?
Quote- fishslap: I use a variety:  whistlin' bungholes, spleen splitters, whisker biscuits, honkey lighters, hoosker doos, hoosker don'ts, cherry bombs, nipsy daisers, with or without the scooter stick, or one single whistlin' kitty chaser

Ice safety link: http://lakeice.squarespace.com/

Offline backwoodswalker

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #38 on: Dec 13, 2013, 02:10 PM »
A few years back we were fishing on 3 mile lake near Paw Paw mi. A fella in a jeep cj pulled right out and got out and asked us how the ice was. Well it was about 10" and he said "should be enough"  Well a few minutes later we heard a loud crack and looked up in time to see jeep go swimming. It sunk pretty slow. Water was only about 6' deep so it was still visible on bottom. He called a tow truck and they took chainsaws and made a "path" for it to be winched out.  Rumor was he had full coverage and insurance paid for all. When ice gets 16" I feel safe driving on it.  Have not went through yet. But as my dad always said " there is a first time for everything".  I am glad nobody got hurt.  Steve

Offline Lavman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Passing along the traditions
« Reply #39 on: Dec 13, 2013, 03:15 PM »
You guys are so quick to judge... for all we know that jeep just really, REALLY needed a bath! Is it laziness or genius?

I second that  ;D

Offline andydodgegeek

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #40 on: Dec 13, 2013, 05:43 PM »
I was thinking about driving out tomorrow, do you think its safe?

Offline GCD

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Arctic Armor, it's not just for ice fishing!!!
« Reply #41 on: Dec 13, 2013, 06:30 PM »
By their own design.

If they got out and no one was hurt, it's absolutely hilarious... but if someone gets hurt, it's not funny at all.

I may have to change this a little bit, if a person suffers a little bit of self inflicted pain it can be pretty darn funny too.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I4S2Gu7ZDT0
Give a man a fish and you'll feed him for a day, give him a religion and he'll starve to death while praying for a fish... author unknown

Offline Hard Ice

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #42 on: Dec 13, 2013, 09:55 PM »
Counted 3 thou the ice this week..
1 in Alex
1 in Bemidji
1 in lake Winny

All within 3-4 days ..
Hard Ice

Offline kevineng

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #43 on: Dec 14, 2013, 05:42 AM »
Had a guy go through the ice at a lake near Detroit Lakes, MN.  He got out, but the dog didn't make it.  Hit a ice heave that only had an inch of ice underneath....poor dog

Offline squ1rr31_

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Addicted to freezing.
« Reply #44 on: Dec 14, 2013, 09:37 AM »
As an insurance agent it really depends on the company, if you have comprehensive coverage I can't see a reason why it wouldn't be covered but again it's up to the company. Comprehensive is anything other than collision, so this being a situation where nothing was hit I would think any major company would cover it.

Offline neveruminda

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Owe No Man Anything...
« Reply #45 on: Dec 14, 2013, 10:04 AM »
glad nobody was hurt or loss of life and can only hope no contaminants leeched into the fisheries
Owe No Man Anything...

Offline blackicejeff

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #46 on: Dec 15, 2013, 07:48 PM »
Full size truck and 16 ft yetti on the back out on rush lake :/ even tho there was 13-14 inches of ice out there.

Offline Muck

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #47 on: Dec 15, 2013, 07:52 PM »
I have reservations for a sleeper on the ice in Winnie second week of January. What are the chances that there will be enough ice by then up there??
Let them go and let them grow to fight another day!!

Offline Boxcall

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #48 on: Dec 15, 2013, 08:17 PM »
Really have mixed emotions about local authorities charging for rescues.... a big floe breaks off and 200 fishermen are stranded on Lake Erie.  Who pays the salaries of the responders?... Who bought their helicopters and Zodiaks and hydrofoils and fuel and equipment? ... wasn't it us, the taxpayers? ... and why did we buy that equipment and hire those people?... wasn't it so they could rescue people in need?.... I realize that people can do stupid things, but who decides what's stupid and what's an accident, and how do they discriminate between the two, and should they even be allowed to?  Just my 2 cents.
Q: "Why are you such a curmudgeon?"
A: "Because I've had the opportunity to observe human beings for seven decades, and if you do it for that long and don't have a foul disposition, either you're simple or you haven't been paying attention."       - David E. Petzal

Offline bullpine

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #49 on: Dec 16, 2013, 08:31 AM »
Y'all got crappy ice.

You probably drive on it in summer up there.

Offline Crappielover89

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #50 on: Dec 16, 2013, 09:25 AM »
I'm not sure I understand what is funny about this, their lives were in danger.

its not necessarily funny but when people do stupid things that put their own life at risk and don't think what are the repercussions of this I sorta do laugh... Like do they think they are invincible or just so lucky that it wouldn't ever happen to them.... What I don't ever laugh at are the men and women who go and risk their lives to save these type of people or have to take care of a dead body that someone was dumb and now they get to clean it up... That is something that never leaves their heads... People need to just think a little harder and longer than they do...

Offline smitty0312

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Build A Smitty Sled.......it's a back & lung saver
« Reply #51 on: Dec 16, 2013, 09:26 AM »
2 guys went thru over the weekend down here around my neck of the woods(not in a car though)....1 guy didn't make it.....I was out and the ice was 3-4"......but I was not in water over my head......fishing was crazy.....had a great 4hrs. of fishing!
[email protected] if you don't have a FB account.....or search "The Original Smitty Sled" on FB....thank you

Offline WaynefromMaine

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Trout and about
« Reply #52 on: Dec 16, 2013, 11:45 AM »
 Very Sad,  God Bless his family and friend's..
Enjoy the pleasure of others pleasure

Offline da man cave shack

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Drillin for a thrillin.
« Reply #53 on: Dec 16, 2013, 02:39 PM »
Sad to here for all that are involved.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.