Author Topic: Putting line on inline reel?  (Read 6358 times)

Offline Mrpike1973

• Team IceShanty Regular
Putting line on inline reel?
« on: Dec 15, 2017, 06:26 PM »
Being I have had issues with mine could I have been putting the line on wrong for twist? For a inline I had the bride hold it with a pencil through the spool line coming off the top is this correct? I used 2# triline ice mono Just looking at any options I may have goofed up.

Offline Unclegillhunter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice So Nice
Re: Putting line on inline reel?
« Reply #1 on: Dec 15, 2017, 06:32 PM »
That is correct. How much tension was being placed on the spool? Like were you reeling against the drag? Line test or type should not be a factor.
Keep it safe! JDL

Offline slipperybob

• Team IceShantyholic
  • LX5 or die...maybe extra battery.
« Reply #2 on: Dec 15, 2017, 06:36 PM »
yes, that's right.  If the line feeds to the top on the inline, you pull line from the top from the filler spool.  If it's on the bottom of inline spool, then you pull from bottom of the filler spool.
For more information read my MN nice journal

Offline esox_xtm

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • It's Showtime!
« Reply #3 on: Dec 15, 2017, 06:53 PM »
Being I have had issues with mine could I have been putting the line on wrong for twist? For a inline I had the bride hold it with a pencil through the spool line coming off the top is this correct? I used 2# triline ice mono Just looking at any options I may have goofed up.

Not quite sure why you would spool with all 2# in the first place. I'd run heavier backing and only spool the last 30 ft or so thinner. Just me.

Your line should not have twisted (much). Are you sure it's not just curly memory from being on the spool? If you're close to an open river go stand on a dock (best) or even the shore and let all your line out downstream with nothing on the end. Reel it back holding it between your fingers and all your twist should be gone.

Spinning reels can be tricky if you're spooling but that's a different discussion.

Oh yeah, this ain't rocket science (or brain surgery) either. A little experience and common sense goes a long way. No crime if you don't know. Everyone has to start somewhere...
To fish or not to fish? That's a stupid question!

“Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality.”― Lewis Carroll

Offline Dave R

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Dec 15, 2017, 08:24 PM »

That's how I spool mine and haven't had any issues with line twist.

Offline WalleyeAdventurer

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Dec 15, 2017, 08:38 PM »
I've heard the Berkley Trilene ice line can frequently have bad line twists on its own.  I myself have had horrible knot and line failures with Trilene, so I usually opt for the other brands.  In general after spooling up fresh line on a reel with applied tension, you should soak the spool in warm water for about 10 minutes and then take it out, let it dry off, and put it back on the reel.  This will help your line stay on the spool better.
DILLY DILLY

Offline Mrpike1973

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Dec 16, 2017, 12:02 AM »
Any 2# test line you would recommend that would be better?

Offline slipperybob

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #7 on: Dec 16, 2017, 01:21 AM »
Any 2# test line you would recommend that would be better?

If you're set on using 2# test, I can suggest a few that's better than Trilene Microice.  I normally don't use 2# test.  3# and up, but I actually buy lines from a diameter and strength comparison.  Next it's about line management.  Then about line properties or characteristics.  I never really had any problems with Microice.  I would use it over XL, XT, or even cold weather line.  It's just that I found other lines to suit me better.

ASSO Micron3
ASSO Ice Heavy
ASSO Tetramax
Stroft GTM
Gamma ESP Ice

I cannot recommend Pline Floroice in 2# test.  That line broke on my while jigging a Northland Forage Minnow spoon the small one, and it broke on potato chip sunnies.  Floroice 3# has been wonderful...I'm still using the same line after 9+ yrs.  Fluorocarbon lines, coated even, seems to have a much better shelf life than I would get out of nylon lines.  I have fished only ASSO Ice Heavy and Gamma ESP Ice lines in the 2# test.  Stroft GTM, I just got bought so haven't wet the line, not even spooled up on a reel yet, but I did line tests and looks very promising.  ASSO Micron 3 and Tetramax, I use in both 3# and 4# before.  Tetramax is stronger, has larger diameter, and more stiff. 

ASSO Ice Heavy is a fluorocarbon line so take extra care when tying knots.  This line helps light lures sinks but fluorocarbon lines don't have any good shock absorption property, so reduce your hookset is required.

Gamma ESP Ice is my long time favorite.  2# line is at .10 mm, that's the same diameter as 1# in Berkley Trilene Microice.  Gamma used to make FrogHair tippet for trout fishing.  One of the best and most expensive line too.  If I remember right, it was like $25-30 for like 27 yds of tippet.

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #8 on: Dec 16, 2017, 07:54 AM »
Not quite sure why you would spool with all 2# in the first place. I'd run heavier backing and only spool the last 30 ft or so thinner. Just me.

Your line should not have twisted (much). Are you sure it's not just curly memory from being on the spool? If you're close to an open river go stand on a dock (best) or even the shore and let all your line out downstream with nothing on the end. Reel it back holding it between your fingers and all your twist should be gone.

Spinning reels can be tricky if you're spooling but that's a different discussion.

Oh yeah, this ain't rocket science (or brain surgery) either. A little experience and common sense goes a long way. No crime if you don't know. Everyone has to start somewhere...

Depends how you fish....a heavier backer on light line is really not the way to go IMO. If a person is fishing really deep I could see braid with a leader......if your fishing normal depths by spooling all light line when you get to the point of feeling a bunch of nicks and stuff on the line you just pull line until you feel you are past the nicked up stuff then cut and retire. Common practice here since a popular lake is very clear water and lighter line = more caught fish.

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #9 on: Dec 16, 2017, 07:56 AM »
If you're set on using 2# test, I can suggest a few that's better than Trilene Microice.  I normally don't use 2# test.  3# and up, but I actually buy lines from a diameter and strength comparison.  Next it's about line management.  Then about line properties or characteristics.  I never really had any problems with Microice.  I would use it over XL, XT, or even cold weather line.  It's just that I found other lines to suit me better.

ASSO Micron3
ASSO Ice Heavy
ASSO Tetramax
Stroft GTM
Gamma ESP Ice

I cannot recommend Pline Floroice in 2# test.  That line broke on my while jigging a Northland Forage Minnow spoon the small one, and it broke on potato chip sunnies.  Floroice 3# has been wonderful...I'm still using the same line after 9+ yrs.  Fluorocarbon lines, coated even, seems to have a much better shelf life than I would get out of nylon lines.  I have fished only ASSO Ice Heavy and Gamma ESP Ice lines in the 2# test.  Stroft GTM, I just got bought so haven't wet the line, not even spooled up on a reel yet, but I did line tests and looks very promising.  ASSO Micron 3 and Tetramax, I use in both 3# and 4# before.  Tetramax is stronger, has larger diameter, and more stiff. 

ASSO Ice Heavy is a fluorocarbon line so take extra care when tying knots.  This line helps light lures sinks but fluorocarbon lines don't have any good shock absorption property, so reduce your hookset is required.

Gamma ESP Ice is my long time favorite.  2# line is at .10 mm, that's the same diameter as 1# in Berkley Trilene Microice.  Gamma used to make FrogHair tippet for trout fishing.  One of the best and most expensive line too.  If I remember right, it was like $25-30 for like 27 yds of tippet.

You must have had a bad spool of micro ice. Never had a problem with it and it's worked really well for me. Sure you didn't get a bad spool?

Offline Gills-only

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • When hell freezes over, I'll ice fish there too!!
« Reply #10 on: Dec 16, 2017, 07:59 AM »
I’ve had the same line on my rod for 3 years , no problems, keep where cool and dark !!

Offline Bucket Rump

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #11 on: Dec 16, 2017, 09:31 AM »
Depends how you fish....a heavier backer on light line is really not the way to go IMO. If a person is fishing really deep I could see braid with a leader......if your fishing normal depths by spooling all light line when you get to the point of feeling a bunch of nicks and stuff on the line you just pull line until you feel you are past the nicked up stuff then cut and retire. Common practice here since a popular lake is very clear water and lighter line = more caught fish.

Like Esox, I "back" my reels with #6 then attach a length of lighter line/leader to suit my fishing situation.  Been times we've gone to the straight #6 when the walleye turned on in the deeper water.  I fish with #6 as my staple for most of my "warm weather" fishing chasing steelhead and walleye so it's a practical thing for me as well, I suppose.

Offline WalleyeAdventurer

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Dec 16, 2017, 10:35 AM »
I've had good results with Sufix Ice.  I normally use 6 lb but 2 lb would still work.
DILLY DILLY

Offline slipperybob

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #13 on: Dec 16, 2017, 10:47 AM »
You must have had a bad spool of micro ice. Never had a problem with it and it's worked really well for me. Sure you didn't get a bad spool?

Not Microice.  2# Floroice.  It's possible it was a bad spool.  It was just fine, until that one day.  Pline Floroclear and Floroice are wonderful lines to fish with.  There are other lines that offer better benefits.

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #14 on: Dec 17, 2017, 09:02 PM »
Not Microice.  2# Floroice.  It's possible it was a bad spool.  It was just fine, until that one day.  Pline Floroclear and Floroice are wonderful lines to fish with.  There are other lines that offer better benefits.

My bad.....

A few years ago I tried some suffix ice magic line.......I'd never use it again....stuff was more breakable then an egg shell. I'm almost certain the line was a bad spool......I'll never try it again though.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.