Ice Fishing Iowa board sponsored by

Author Topic: Badger Creek  (Read 1429 times)

Offline wishinforice

• IceShanty Rookie
Badger Creek
« on: Dec 15, 2007, 11:22 AM »
Has anyone been out to check the ice at Badger Creek?  How has the fishing been out there the past few years?

Offline frostyicecold

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Badger Creek
« Reply #1 on: Dec 15, 2007, 05:16 PM »
Last season was good out there. We had 18 inches of ice for quite awhile. The bluegills were real nice sized (and plentiful). I heard the crappies were nice but I never stayed out to late. You'll see a lot of people out there once the season hits. Quite a few people were driving on the ice last year.  I want to get out there but the dang snow keeps coming down and I don't have four wheel drive to get down those gravel roads.
I'll be watching for reports. Might try Tuesday if the roads clear up.

Offline frostyicecold

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Dec 16, 2007, 04:47 PM »
       Just got back from checking Badger. There is 5 inches of ice. I saw about 20 people out fishing already. Guys I talked to said the gills were biting, but most weren't too big.
       Everyone is gathered up on the road bed like it's some hot spot. I'd rather find the channel again.
       The road in is completely covered with snow, but I made it in a front wheel drive Stratus. Just don't go to the  boat ramp off of quail ridge road in a car, you'll never get back up the hill. I saw  several cars get stuck last year. They don't plow it. 
       I'll be heading out Tuesday if anyone else is going to be there let me know.

Offline badgercreekfreek

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Take a kid fishing!
« Reply #3 on: Dec 19, 2007, 05:08 PM »
I fished Badger Sunday for two and a half hours and pulled up 60+ fish (3 crappies and the rest were gills).  I would say the average size is 7" but I did manage a handful between 8 and 9 inches so I brought some home for the frying pan.

I'm hoping to get back out sometime this week or weekend.  I was one who fished the roadbed but wanted to go elsewhere.  Given there was only one shack out there when I arrived I thought I better stay close to the ramp in the event nothing was biting.  Next time it'll be a trip to the sticks or the channel.

Offline icey kid

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Dec 19, 2007, 05:25 PM »
how much ice was out there

Offline frostyicecold

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Dec 19, 2007, 06:11 PM »
I was out there TU /WED , probably pulled in 30 fish each day. Caught one 12 inch crappie and that was the only crappie. The ice was about six inches. Actually the roadbed was pretty good as long as you can find the ditch on each side of the road. The depth was around 16 feet on each side of it. Theres now plenty of holes( and peoples trash >:() in the area to make it easy to find. 

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.