Author Topic: Any sneak peeks on new ice fishing gear?  (Read 19389 times)

Offline chilly-willy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Any sneak peeks on new ice fishing gear?
« Reply #60 on: Jul 28, 2018, 03:08 AM »
being this is about new ice fishing gear, not old tech. here is "new" sonar gear called garmin panoptix livescope. looks like a camera, but it's sonar.

New??

Panoptix is not that new..  I was the one who put it up last year and got crusified by every one saying humming bird was better cause it was made in usa.. just cause it was garmin imported  and humming bird was usa made.. lol's as you can see why I was excited about the new technology as you are... as you can see the great need for this type of technology..

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Michigan Moderator.Not affiliated with MarCum Tech
« Reply #61 on: Jul 28, 2018, 09:43 AM »

New??

Panoptix is not that new..  I was the one who put it up last year and got crusified by every one saying humming bird was better cause it was made in usa.. just cause it was garmin imported  and humming bird was usa made.. lol's as you can see why I was excited about the new technology as you are... as you can see the great need for this type of technology..

livescope is only a few weeks old.

Offline chilly-willy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #62 on: Jul 28, 2018, 09:55 AM »
livescope is only a few weeks old.

Oh I know see what a difference a year brings here's the older version..

https://youtu.be/BkvsPg5a5WY

Offline HWeber

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #63 on: Jul 28, 2018, 09:06 PM »
Not really a new product but a recommendation for okuma.  Bought a reel from them this spring and somehow busted the line clip off,  they sent a new spool zero questions asked.

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #64 on: Jul 28, 2018, 10:05 PM »
Not really a new product but a recommendation for okuma.  Bought a reel from them this spring and somehow busted the line clip off,  they sent a new spool zero questions asked.

Yep Okuma makes some pretty solid products....Okuma coldwater line counters are great for open water walleye fishing.

Offline hays47

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #65 on: Jul 29, 2018, 11:46 AM »
Just a quick comment on the Panoptix technology. Been using on my boat for three years now. On the ice for two years. A fishing friend of mine came up with this analogy. Searching for something in my garage in the dark. Would I use a flashlight or turn the overhead lights on ? Yes the difference is that great.

Have not used the new Livescope yet. More than likely I will not. Why ? Expense for one thing. Completely satisfied with present set up is the other reason. Running a GPSMAP 1040 XS with PS 30 and PS 21 on the boat. Ice fishing rig is 92 Echomap Chirp with the PS 22.

All people that have fished with me on the ice or on the boat. Were convinced they needed what I got. Seeing them in action convinces any doubters.
Echomap 94  Chirp with panoptix ps-22.
G.E.F.M

Offline vanhln

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #66 on: Jul 30, 2018, 12:44 PM »
32footsteps,
I'd be interested in that link for lightening EVOs.  I just got one and can't seem to find the thread with the search function....

Thanks....

Offline hnd

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #67 on: Jul 31, 2018, 03:34 PM »
I disagree.. vexilar makes good reliable ice fishing flashers.gps and all the other features drive prices too high on other brand units.after all we are just pulling a fish thru a hole in the ice.how much tech is needed for that.its reliability im after not a bunch of stuff added that is not needed.jmo.i would like the panoptix for ice and boat but i cant justify the price just to catch fish.

pfff have you seen the rest of the fishing world and how fast its moved?  you know the reason nobody has a flasher on the dash of their boat anymore?  because the technology is so much better.   there were plenty of people who guffawed at digital readout fish finders saying "why are these necessary?! my flasher is perfect!" back in the 80's. 

vexilar can only hang its hat on reliability.  thats not going to keep them relevant.  for the first time in a while, out on some busy lakes, i saw way more digital units than i thought i would.   mechanical flashers are going the way of the dodo.  they still work and there will still be involved in the game for years to come but i know the people at vexilar know that they are going to have to do something. 

btw...i'm still an old fuddy duddy like most.  i love my lx5 and my backup fl18.  i use my phone for gps and mapping.  but what bird/garmin are putting out is drawing me like a mosquito to a blue light. 

Offline hnd

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #68 on: Jul 31, 2018, 03:36 PM »
To add to the more new stuff coming out, anyone seen the Glo-Ring Vexilar is coming out with? I am assuming its going to be a glow cup to light up your jigs and such but cant seem to find much info on it as of yet

nevermind.  vex is setting the icefishing world on fire with their innovative features.  i was wrong.  lol

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #69 on: Jul 31, 2018, 04:37 PM »
pfff have you seen the rest of the fishing world and how fast its moved?  you know the reason nobody has a flasher on the dash of their boat anymore?  because the technology is so much better.   there were plenty of people who guffawed at digital readout fish finders saying "why are these necessary?! my flasher is perfect!" back in the 80's. 

vexilar can only hang its hat on reliability.  thats not going to keep them relevant.  for the first time in a while, out on some busy lakes, i saw way more digital units than i thought i would.   mechanical flashers are going the way of the dodo.  they still work and there will still be involved in the game for years to come but i know the people at vexilar know that they are going to have to do something. 

btw...i'm still an old fuddy duddy like most.  i love my lx5 and my backup fl18.  i use my phone for gps and mapping.  but what bird/garmin are putting out is drawing me like a mosquito to a blue light.
garmin has my interest too but not for pulling a fish tru a hole in the ice.too much tech for that.the vexilar glo cup deal is not innovative .that I will agreed with.

Offline Fishtrekker

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #70 on: Aug 01, 2018, 03:49 PM »
Here is what the Vexilar glo-ring looks like.

Offline HWeber

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #71 on: Aug 01, 2018, 04:56 PM »
Here is what the Vexilar glo-ring looks like.

Game changer for sure  ;) ;) ;) ;D

Offline FlamDragger

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #72 on: Aug 01, 2018, 05:47 PM »

Game changer for sure
not really. I’ve been using one two years now, built by a forum member. The glo-cup by Ice Jager Custom.

Offline HWeber

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #73 on: Aug 01, 2018, 05:51 PM »
It was sarcasm, guess is should've made that clearer.

Offline Seamonkey84

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #74 on: Aug 01, 2018, 07:19 PM »
Here is the video that is making me think about the investment in a livescope unit this year. If you want to see what perch and structure looks like with the new unit, skip to 6mins in.

I might just settle for last years ice package since I can get it sooner and use it for the rest of the open water season. Plus saving the extra $500 might be a better choice since I’m not getting paid as a guide or in tournaments.

Offline chilly-willy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #75 on: Aug 01, 2018, 08:29 PM »
Here is the video that is making me think about the investment in a livescope unit this year. If you want to see what perch and structure looks like with the new unit, skip to 6mins in.

I might just settle for last years ice package since I can get it sooner and use it for the rest of the open water season. Plus saving the extra $500 might be a better choice since I’m not getting paid as a guide or in tournaments.

This one says avaible and $1500 some of the transduecers were 1200 last year so not to crazy of a price for this..

https://m.tackledirect.com/garmin-010-01864-00-panoptix-livescope-system.html?CP=FW_73118&uid=2832a55e-b5e6-4352-9423-f2ee12979c70&contact_eid=2832a55e-b5e6-4352-9423-f2ee12979c70&utm_source=bm23&utm_medium=email&utm_term=Shop+Now&utm_content=Shop+Now&utm_campaign=FW_73118

Offline Seamonkey84

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #76 on: Aug 01, 2018, 10:34 PM »
You just had to show me that...now I need to find an ice package with a compatible unit.
that ice mount is insanely priced for a threaded plastic stick. I’m only finding the ice bag and transducer kit separate from the echomap unit. Buying them separately would cost 200-300 more. I can’t have it mounted to just one boat so I need to keep it portable. I don’t want to have to build my own box/bag...

Offline kayl

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #77 on: Aug 02, 2018, 01:01 AM »
You just had to show me that...now I need to find an ice package with a compatible unit.
that ice mount is insanely priced for a threaded plastic stick. I’m only finding the ice bag and transducer kit separate from the echomap unit. Buying them separately would cost 200-300 more. I can’t have it mounted to just one boat so I need to keep it portable. I don’t want to have to build my own box/bag...

I used a clam flasher bag. The new livescope has a black box that is around 5-7# and as big as another head unit. I'm not sure it's really feasible on the ice. Go with the ps22 and an echomap chirp or echomap chirp plus unit and you're golden .

Offline chilly-willy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #78 on: Aug 02, 2018, 02:14 AM »

Why not just make a treaded plastic stick ?? With some extruded acrylic 1 inch rod cut to size needed then heat with a blow torch to bend end like a waling cane handle .. then take a bucket lid and drill just under a 1 inch hole like 15/16 of a inch then push acrylic rod threw
.. you could also use some o-rings to stop it from slipping if needed.  Make a end that holds the unit like a transom trolling motor does .. for $10  you can make some thing worth $100 you know what I mean.. by the way sorry to show you that link..  >:D

Offline Seamonkey84

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #79 on: Aug 02, 2018, 06:39 AM »
I used a clam flasher bag. The new livescope has a black box that is around 5-7# and as big as another head unit. I'm not sure it's really feasible on the ice. Go with the ps22 and an echomap chirp or echomap chirp plus unit and you're golden .

Did not realize the black box was that big/heavy.  I guess I’ll save some money and go with the ps22 ice package. 

Offline hnd

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #80 on: Aug 02, 2018, 04:22 PM »
garmin has my interest too but not for pulling a fish tru a hole in the ice.too much tech for that.the vexilar glo cup deal is not innovative .that I will agreed with.

i only had 1 day of use out of a panoptix unit.  the day before we found fish but it was a scattered bowl lake and we drilled probably 150 holes between 3 guys to find 20 fish.  the next day a guys buddy brought out the panoptix we caught well over 200 fish the 4 of us and drilled only 25-30 holes due to the panoptix.  its still way out of my price range but its worth on ice is proven to me. 

Offline chilly-willy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #81 on: Aug 03, 2018, 01:06 PM »
This one's for rod builders sportsmensdirect.com now has Eva rod handles..  for your custom projects... just got a email about them..

Offline piersm2

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #82 on: Aug 03, 2018, 01:07 PM »
I built a few rods with EVA, and I am not a fan.  I am a cork guy, but thanks for the update!!
Minnesconsin born and raised

Offline joedevera

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #83 on: Aug 03, 2018, 10:32 PM »
I’m only finding the ice bag and transducer kit separate from the echomap unit. Buying them separately would cost 200-300 more. I can’t have it mounted to just one boat so I need to keep it portable. I don’t want to have to build my own box/bag...

This year's bundle is going to have the touchscreen units in them

Offline Seamonkey84

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #84 on: Aug 04, 2018, 05:00 AM »
This year's bundle is going to have the touchscreen units in them
On Garmins site I noticed that it’s the plus model for this year, though they haven’t listed a livescope ice package yet. By the sound of it, the black box might make it difficult to put in an ice pack. Maybe the next generation will be more portable.
I’m prob going to end up ordering last years package with the chirp unit instead of waiting for the new one with the plus model....

Offline kayl

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #85 on: Aug 08, 2018, 09:59 PM »
On Garmins site I noticed that it’s the plus model for this year, though they haven’t listed a livescope ice package yet. By the sound of it, the black box might make it difficult to put in an ice pack. Maybe the next generation will be more portable.
I’m prob going to end up ordering last years package with the chirp unit instead of waiting for the new one with the plus model....

The plus model's touchscreen makes changing settings a lot easier. I have a chirp and am tempted to upgrade. For what it's worth, you should be aware that the plus does have considerably higher power drain when wifi is enabled. You can always turn it off though.

Offline Seamonkey84

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #86 on: Aug 09, 2018, 04:54 AM »
Well I pulled the trigger and placed the order through dicks since they have last years model in stock. It should be here next Tuesday, however with work and weather forecast, it looks like I won’t be able to try it till the week after. Before the ice season starts I’ll prob be ordering a lithium battery replacement to make the package lighter. I just wished they had the boat mount available for the ice mount stick. I’ve seen it in a few videos, but I guess they haven’t rolled it out yet. I’ll have to make the fishin buddy sonar mount I have work for the rest of this season.

ETA: this is a screenshot of the stick mount for the boat. The video was posted oct of 2017, any word about it being rolled out anytime soon?

Offline Grillking26

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #87 on: Aug 10, 2018, 12:48 AM »
I happened to run into a couple Shimano “reps” I guess I’d call them. Asked the first thing that came to mind...when is Shimano gonna make an ice rod? The guys got pretty excited and told me that something had been in the works for a few years and they’re ready to roll something out this year. They said to look for it in November and they would be at the St Paul expo with it. Sounded like it would be something to compete with the so called “custom” mass produced rods. Emphasized to be patient and that they had kind of a plan of sorts for the next couple years of where they wanted to be and what kind of market they would be in. Sounded like they had done some market research and realized they are missing out. I was pretty excited as I always thought Shimano gear was quality stuff. Too bad, looks like I’m gonna have to buy some more stuff.  ::)

Offline slipperybob

• Team IceShantyholic
  • LX5 or die...maybe extra battery.
« Reply #88 on: Aug 10, 2018, 02:31 AM »
I happened to run into a couple Shimano “reps” I guess I’d call them. Asked the first thing that came to mind...when is Shimano gonna make an ice rod? The guys got pretty excited and told me that something had been in the works for a few years and they’re ready to roll something out this year. They said to look for it in November and they would be at the St Paul expo with it. Sounded like it would be something to compete with the so called “custom” mass produced rods. Emphasized to be patient and that they had kind of a plan of sorts for the next couple years of where they wanted to be and what kind of market they would be in. Sounded like they had done some market research and realized they are missing out. I was pretty excited as I always thought Shimano gear was quality stuff. Too bad, looks like I’m gonna have to buy some more stuff.  ::)

Shimano has always been kind of afraid of the ice fishing market.  They will debut at least two types of rods and at least one spinning combo with the Sienna reel this season.  They should've marketed the 500 sized spinning reels more, but looks like they're scaling back on them. 

LOL didn't expect them to be blown up so huge...
For more information read my MN nice journal

Offline Fishtrekker

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #89 on: Aug 10, 2018, 07:21 AM »
I would agree on pushing more the 500 sized reels. I have heard a rumor that Okuma is going to be coming out with a 500 series bait feeder. If/Once that happens, im switching all of my Sahara's over to those. I love shimano but it will be hard to find some of the higher end shimanos in the 500 size

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.