Author Topic: Any sneak peeks on new ice fishing gear?  (Read 19393 times)

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Michigan Moderator.Not affiliated with MarCum Tech
Re: Any sneak peeks on new ice fishing gear?
« Reply #30 on: Jul 21, 2018, 10:44 AM »
New Eskimo Outbreak 450i hub with full sized door!  UNS is the only place that has it listed for sale so far.  Perfect for us us farts with bad hips and knees!   :roflmao:
interesting design. reminds me of the evo for the door.
no specs such as weight or dimensions or fishable area in square feet and only one door.

Offline straightShot

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #31 on: Jul 21, 2018, 01:30 PM »
Does anyone know if Otter has made any improvements to the one man XT Hideout and when they'll be out this year?

Offline HWeber

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #32 on: Jul 23, 2018, 04:02 PM »
What else do they need?

As already stated they haven't made the leap to digital, gps, ect while everyone else has. They are going to slowly become the equivalent of the flip phone if they don't do anything new.

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #33 on: Jul 23, 2018, 06:13 PM »
I disagree.. vexilar makes good reliable ice fishing flashers.gps and all the other features drive prices too high on other brand units.after all we are just pulling a fish thru a hole in the ice.how much tech is needed for that.its reliability im after not a bunch of stuff added that is not needed.jmo.i would like the panoptix for ice and boat but i cant justify the price just to catch fish.

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #34 on: Jul 23, 2018, 08:54 PM »
As already stated they haven't made the leap to digital, gps, ect while everyone else has. They are going to slowly become the equivalent of the flip phone if they don't do anything new.

It would be different if the digital units really “did” something that was above and beyond what the vex does.

Sure an LX 7 allows a person to customize the display which is just different ways of showing the sonar reading. The “graph” shows some history which the vex doesn’t.....but any graph fish finder does that.

GPS/lake maps on my phone for cheap....why do I need it on my sonar.....

Unless prices come down, I doubt to many people care to spend $1000 on a sonar to ice fish.

Offline Bryfish84

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #35 on: Jul 23, 2018, 09:22 PM »
I’m with you on this. My Vex flasher good enough for me. I downloaded the Navionics app on my phone for $19.99/yr. Some of those fancy Marcums are nice but they are expensive and from the people I know who have them not nearly as reliable.

It would be different if the digital units really “did” something that was above and beyond what the vex does.

Sure an LX 7 allows a person to customize the display which is just different ways of showing the sonar reading. The “graph” shows some history which the vex doesn’t.....but any graph fish finder does that.

GPS/lake maps on my phone for cheap....why do I need it on my sonar.....

Unless prices come down, I doubt to many people care to spend $1000 on a sonar to ice fish.

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #36 on: Jul 23, 2018, 09:48 PM »
I’m with you on this. My Vex flasher good enough for me. I downloaded the Navionics app on my phone for $19.99/yr. Some of those fancy Marcums are nice but they are expensive and from the people I know who have them not nearly as reliable.

I've found my FL-18 tribeam to catch just has many fish has my FL 20, FL22hd, and FLX28.

Offline Bryfish84

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #37 on: Jul 23, 2018, 10:23 PM »
Wow you have all of those??

I've found my FL-18 tribeam to catch just has many fish has my FL 20, FL22hd, and FLX28.

Offline HWeber

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #38 on: Jul 23, 2018, 10:28 PM »
Guess i triggered all the vex lovers. They work great but others are putting out products that do more. Why is it such a big deal to want to see them do something new. This is not a marcum vs vex thing, its a vex vs everyone thing. At some point even the stubborn loyal people will move on if the benefits become worth it just like you two moved up from a flip phone to a smart phone lol :P

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #39 on: Jul 23, 2018, 10:34 PM »
being this is about new ice fishing gear, not old tech. here is "new" sonar gear called garmin panoptix livescope. looks like a camera, but it's sonar.

Offline mushroom_capd_1

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #40 on: Jul 23, 2018, 11:47 PM »
I disagree.. vexilar makes good reliable ice fishing flashers.gps and all the other features drive prices too high on other brand units.after all we are just pulling a fish thru a hole in the ice.how much tech is needed for that.its reliability im after not a bunch of stuff added that is not needed.jmo.i would like the panoptix for ice and boat but i cant justify the price just to catch fish.
I agree...if you want digital, go digital. No knock against anybody that goes that way, if it works better for you than by all means use it to your advantage. I cannot afford to ugrade every year and I am happy with what I have. If you need the latest and greatest every year than more power to you, nothing wrong with that either!

Offline Fishtrekker

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #41 on: Jul 24, 2018, 08:01 AM »
Good luck to anyone trying to use livescope on the ice this year....you will need a alot of power and a pretty big case to keep it all together. Not to mention the weight..... Not sure it is there just yet to use on the ice.

Offline Nosaj

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #42 on: Jul 24, 2018, 08:26 AM »
Interesting

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #43 on: Jul 24, 2018, 08:42 AM »
more about livescope on iceshanty's sister site. there is mention of ice package for it, so it's on the way.

https://www.myfishfinder.com/fishing_forum/index.php?topic=75134.0

Offline Fishtrekker

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #44 on: Jul 24, 2018, 03:36 PM »
They will need to get rid of the 4# black box that comes with the system and integrate it into the head units themselves. Also should figure out the power draw before it will ever end up in a ice bundle. Not knocking but that is a huge limitation for anyone who hole hops. You would be lucky to get 4-5 with a car battery on the ice. These next few years will be interesting with all the changes and power shifts within the fishing industry and technology advancing like it is, with some but not all companies.  :clap: :clap: :clap:

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #45 on: Jul 24, 2018, 05:29 PM »
Wow you have all of those??

Yes one for each person if they go in my wheel house....I have 3 boys. Also great for backups if a buddy brings his stuff.

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #46 on: Jul 24, 2018, 05:43 PM »
Guess i triggered all the vex lovers. They work great but others are putting out products that do more. Why is it such a big deal to want to see them do something new. This is not a marcum vs vex thing, its a vex vs everyone thing. At some point even the stubborn loyal people will move on if the benefits become worth it just like you two moved up from a flip phone to a smart phone lol :P

Oh don’t get me wrong things like the new panoptix are really interesting, and might be worth the upgrade....we will see. However, IMO most of the digital units aren’t really game changing vs a vex currently. They do the basic reading below you and maybe bring gps maps with it. And display the same readings in a few different ways. Something like a panoptix being able to show a person where fish are located off to the side or where the school of Perch are going would be a game changer. It would vastly help you find the fish. I have no issue going digital, but until there is a really new game changing feature I don’t feel I’m missing anything.

I mean the panoptix showing the fish and tree is cool......but when I drop a camera I can see that and watch my bait.....can the panoptix do that with your bait.....I don’t know. It will be neat to see if it works like a guy hopes.

Offline laer0302

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #47 on: Jul 24, 2018, 06:37 PM »
New Eskimo Outbreak 450i hub with full sized door!  UNS is the only place that has it listed for sale so far.  Perfect for us old farts with bad hips and knees!   :roflmao:

https://www.upnorthsports.com/ice-fishing/ice-fishing-portable-houses/ice-fishing-pop-up-shelters/eskimo-outbreak-450i-pop-up-shelter-w-full-oversized-door-2019.html

Clam is now offering some thermal floors for a couple of hubs also. 

https://www.upnorthsports.com/ice-fishing/ice-fishing-portable-houses/ice-fishing-ice-house-accessories/clam-escape-ice-thermal-floor-2019.html

https://www.upnorthsports.com/ice-fishing/ice-fishing-portable-houses/ice-fishing-ice-house-accessories/clam-escape-ice-thermal-floor-2019.html

DN

Looks like that same website has some info on new features for the Otter flip over shelters. Designated as "X-Over" now. Looks like the new features are side entry doors and something they call a "quick switch frame."

Here is the link to the Pro Cabin: https://www.upnorthsports.com/ice-fishing/ice-fishing-portable-houses/ice-fishing-flip-over-shelters/otter-xt-pro-x-over-cabin-flip-over-shelter-2019.html. Looks like the new features are included with the Cottage, Cabin, Lodge, and Resort models.

Offline kayl

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #48 on: Jul 24, 2018, 06:48 PM »
I mean the panoptix showing the fish and tree is cool......but when I drop a camera I can see that and watch my bait.....can the panoptix do that with your bait.....I don’t know. It will be neat to see if it works like a guy hopes.

Yes, you can do that with panoptix. The livescope is not suitable for ice usage currently unless you're in a wheelhouse imo. The black box it requires is 4# by itself, not to mention power consumption and the size of the ducer itself. I picked up a ps22 this spring and have gotten some time in with it on my kayak and think it's going to be absolutely incredible on the ice, but we'll see!

Offline TheCrappieFisherman

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #49 on: Jul 25, 2018, 08:53 AM »
Looks like that same website has some info on new features for the Otter flip over shelters. Designated as "X-Over" now. Looks like the new features are side entry doors and something they call a "quick switch frame."

Here is the link to the Pro Cabin: https://www.upnorthsports.com/ice-fishing/ice-fishing-portable-houses/ice-fishing-flip-over-shelters/otter-xt-pro-x-over-cabin-flip-over-shelter-2019.html. Looks like the new features are included with the Cottage, Cabin, Lodge, and Resort models.

Awesome, I was wondering when otter would come out with side entry; I heard there were some issues with the frabill ones. I doubt I'll be getting one but cool to see.

Offline Fishtrekker

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #50 on: Jul 25, 2018, 11:41 AM »
To add to the more new stuff coming out, anyone seen the Glo-Ring Vexilar is coming out with? I am assuming its going to be a glow cup to light up your jigs and such but cant seem to find much info on it as of yet

Offline matzilla

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #51 on: Jul 25, 2018, 02:49 PM »
That panoptix will be reduced in size and weight faster than we might think - it is pretty that garmin is hungry for market-share with the moves theyve made in the last couple of years.

Catchin' Fish

Offline TheCrappieFisherman

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #52 on: Jul 25, 2018, 03:53 PM »
To add to the more new stuff coming out, anyone seen the Glo-Ring Vexilar is coming out with? I am assuming its going to be a glow cup to light up your jigs and such but cant seem to find much info on it as of yet

I haven't, was it similar to this or not a cup? https://ijcustom.com/collections/glocups   Always thought that would be handy, I just carry a mini uv flashlight from venom bobbers.

Offline kayl

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #53 on: Jul 25, 2018, 06:00 PM »
That panoptix will be reduced in size and weight faster than we might think - it is pretty that garmin is hungry for market-share with the moves theyve made in the last couple of years.

They can start with switching out the battery in their ice bundle to a lithium one. The current factory battery is a 12aH SLA beast! They already refined the ice bundle for this year by switching out the head unit from the Echomap Chirp 73cv to the Echomap Plus Chirp 73cv (which has a touchscreen). 

Offline Fishtrekker

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #54 on: Jul 25, 2018, 06:29 PM »
By the sounds of the Glo-cup it is like the jager cups, not sure though as I haven't seen a picture just know that they have a "Glo Cup" coming out, not sure when it will drop.

Striker has their new Climate bibs and jacket coming out too for those are you that are looking for a new suit:

Offline Deal Ninja

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #55 on: Jul 26, 2018, 08:25 AM »
Looks like Up North Sports had to pull back the new 2019 side entry Otter flips.  You can still see them if you click on the link above and then just change the model name in the url address, but if you just go to UNS directly and look for Otter flip shanties, they've been hidden from view.  Probably got into hot water with Otter for advertising them for sale too soon...before Otter had time to make their big product change announcement themselves. lol 

What does this mean to us you ask?  Well, it means that all of the vendors who still have inventory of last years Otter shacks will now be clearancing them even sooner this year.  No one will want to try and sell last year's Otters alongside this year's new side entry models.  We will soon have some great sale prices on last year's Otters popping up.  In consecutive years when models don't change much, it's not as big of a deal, but when a major change is made, the previous years models become unsaleable fast.  Think automobiles in years when a major makeover takes place with a particular model.  The old model (even if brand new) instantly get branded "old style."

I will be scouting out the vendors that still have last year's models in stock and will keep a close eye on them for clearance sales.  This should be a great opportunity to pick up an Otter flip at a big discount.

DN 
DON'T DILLY DALLY!!!   ;D

Polar Bird 3T, Eskimo EVO 1it
8" K-Drill, 8" Nils Arctic Trekker, Milwaukee Mud Mixer, Milwaukee 2704-22, Clam Plate, Adapters to make everything work with everything. lol
Marcum LX-7s (2) Dakota Lithium powered

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #56 on: Jul 26, 2018, 11:08 AM »
i saw the 900$ price and that alone turned me off. but, i kept looking at the specs and it is too heavy for hand pulling anyway.

Offline laer0302

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #57 on: Jul 26, 2018, 01:55 PM »
Looks like Up North Sports had to pull back the new 2019 side entry Otter flips.  You can still see them if you click on the link above and then just change the model name in the url address, but if you just go to UNS directly and look for Otter flip shanties, they've been hidden from view.  Probably got into hot water with Otter for advertising them for sale too soon...before Otter had time to make their big product change announcement themselves. lol 

What does this mean to us you ask?  Well, it means that all of the vendors who still have inventory of last years Otter shacks will now be clearancing them even sooner this year.  No one will want to try and sell last year's Otters alongside this year's new side entry models.  We will soon have some great sale prices on last year's Otters popping up.  In consecutive years when models don't change much, it's not as big of a deal, but when a major change is made, the previous years models become unsaleable fast.  Think automobiles in years when a major makeover takes place with a particular model.  The old model (even if brand new) instantly get branded "old style."

I will be scouting out the vendors that still have last year's models in stock and will keep a close eye on them for clearance sales.  This should be a great opportunity to pick up an Otter flip at a big discount.

DN

DN

Yeah, I've watching as well. I'm really hoping to find a discounted Hideout, but it doesn't look like those have any new features this year, at least not that I could find.

Offline matzilla

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #58 on: Jul 27, 2018, 04:29 PM »
They can start with switching out the battery in their ice bundle to a lithium one. The current factory battery is a 12aH SLA beast! They already refined the ice bundle for this year by switching out the head unit from the Echomap Chirp 73cv to the Echomap Plus Chirp 73cv (which has a touchscreen).

I wonder how well the touchscreen works in cold temps...not like 38* walleye fishermen temps, I mean like -30* lol

Catchin' Fish

Offline 32footsteps

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #59 on: Jul 28, 2018, 12:06 AM »
yeah eskimos steel chair is ridiculously heavy..the inferno wide one shelter is heavy for its size.im no going eskimo brand.that evo looks like too much set up.

Over the winter there was a thread where lightening the EVOs was discussed. If I remember correctly you can dump a ton of weight out of them and it’s not hard to do at all.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.