The ice fishing Wisconsin boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: CLAM auger drill plate worth adding?  (Read 2601 times)

Offline Sportdog7

• IceShanty Rookie
CLAM auger drill plate worth adding?
« on: Dec 22, 2018, 06:30 PM »
I just bought a Ridgid drill 750 in" lbs of torque it came with 1.5 batteries charger and auxiliary handle and I just added 2 - 6 Octane batteries  so I can fish all day without worrying about dead batteries. I'm going to be using a 8" Mora Strikemaster auger with a 16" extension and a plate to prevent the auger from deep sixing.  So what if any advantages to this set up does the Clam system really offer? By the way guys your advice for me has been spot on...  Thanks!

Offline RapShack

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: CLAM auger drill plate worth adding?
« Reply #1 on: Dec 23, 2018, 06:35 PM »
The Clam is more ergonomic for drilling and keeps the drill up off the ice/snow when you set it down.  I wouldn't run mine without one except for maybe on a 5 or 6" auger.
I'm a man, but I can change, If I have to, I guess.

Offline holehopper

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Me and Dave Genz
« Reply #2 on: Dec 23, 2018, 06:42 PM »
Did your drill come with a removable arm?  If so, I would definitely skip the plate. If not, get the plate. Without the drill arm, they can really reef on your wrist if the auger grabs.
Never Stop Never Stopping

Offline river rat78

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Dec 23, 2018, 07:34 PM »
Honestly I would return the drill and batteries. You would be better off going online and buying the 9.0ah starter kit and the ridgid octane drill. This way the drill, battery, and charger will all be covered under the LSA agreement.

Offline stinkyfingers

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Dec 23, 2018, 07:45 PM »
Honestly I would return the drill and batteries. You would be better off going online and buying the 9.0ah starter kit and the ridgid octane drill. This way the drill, battery, and charger will all be covered under the LSA agreement.
This gentleman is correct. Let me add that with the Ridgid Octane drill, you will not need a Clam plate and indeed those two components are not compatible. Use a Kovac adaptor

instead.
We're born, we live for a while, and then we die.  Sounds like a good reason to go ice fishing.
                                                               Stinky

Offline Sportdog7

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Dec 25, 2018, 01:46 PM »
River rat78 I took your advice and ordered the Ridgid 9.0 Octane battery & charger on sale for 169.00 + tax and was indeed able to get the Ridgid 1300 in"lb drill model # R8611506B and the auxiliary handle  Free!!  Again without this forum and the great advice here  I would have never know about this offer. The local Home Depot has the 9.0 battery but not the drill so, thanks again for steering me right. So I ordered it online can't wait til it gets here and I can put it to work! Oh by the way the sale price was 169.00 and it on sale till Jan 22/ 2019

Offline river rat78

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Dec 25, 2018, 03:08 PM »
Sportdog7 no problem. If it wasn’t for this forum I wouldn’t of known about this deal myself.

Offline Sportdog7

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Dec 25, 2018, 04:59 PM »
River rat78, Either way I thank you for letting me know, I'm not a person that buys something and then returns it.  But in this case I still have all the packaging and the drill was never used anyway.

Offline Sportdog7

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Dec 27, 2018, 04:21 PM »
Okay stage 1 is complete today the Fed Ex truck delivered 1/2 of my order the Hyper Octane  9Ah lithium ion battery & charger arrived I brought thebattery up to full charge so its ready for use.  I should be getting the Ridgid drill model R8611506B by Jan 2nd, now I can't wait to get on the ice and drill some holes!!

Offline mags459

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Dec 28, 2018, 11:40 AM »
your getting good advice, ridgid drill is the way to go. I think the clam plate is a gimic, I can set mine down by using the hammer drill handle and nothing touches the ice.  I use a Nils but hammer drill and auger is the way to go .
Shane

Offline Sportdog7

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Dec 28, 2018, 02:30 PM »
Mags 459, Thanks, I was thinking the same with all the torque this Ridgid drill has (1300in lbs) plus the Aux handle a plate really isn't needed.

Offline Sportdog7

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Jan 03, 2019, 05:47 PM »
Mags459, I like that its not an all in one electric auger because when its not drilling ice holes I can use it to do any cordless drill work. That's something you just can't do with any Ion. and if something happens to the auger the cost to replace it will be much cheaper than replacing the one on the Ion.

Offline Sportdog7

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #12 on: Jan 04, 2019, 03:14 PM »
Well yesterday UPS delivered my RIDGID R8611506 so today I registered the drill, batter & charger so all will have the lifetime service agreement so if any of the 3 go bad or need to be replaced it will be done at no charge to me. This includes the battery. That's peace of mind I like!!

Offline matt12

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #13 on: Jan 04, 2019, 10:01 PM »
all I can say is Ice kicker II.

if you can find it

Offline Sportdog7

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #14 on: Jan 13, 2019, 12:38 PM »
Here's a few pic's of my new RIDGID drill & auger set up

Offline RyanW

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Feb 06, 2019, 05:31 PM »
your getting good advice, ridgid drill is the way to go. I think the clam plate is a gimic, I can set mine down by using the hammer drill handle and nothing touches the ice.  I use a Nils but hammer drill and auger is the way to go .

Far from a gimmick. Overpriced, but far from a gimmick. I’ll take ergonomics and safety over broken wrists any day. If it was a gimmick it wouldn’t work. Personally, I think it’s Clam’s only good product.
“When the fish are biting, it really doesn’t matter what you’re using. When the fish aren’t biting, it really doesn’t matter what you’re using” - Uncle Dave

Offline Gills-only

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • When hell freezes over, I'll ice fish there too!!
« Reply #16 on: Feb 06, 2019, 05:40 PM »
Far from a gimmick. Overpriced, but far from a gimmick. I’ll take ergonomics and safety over broken wrists any day. If it was a gimmick it wouldn’t work. Personally, I think it’s Clam’s only good product.
.     I agree

Offline matt12

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #17 on: Feb 09, 2019, 08:36 AM »
what ever handle system you go with, make sure it has gears.

they will cut much better geared down. the drills are much to fast even on the lowest setting. 

and always go with dewalt or milwaukee.. both make a really tough drill that can be used year round.

Offline Sportdog7

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #18 on: Feb 09, 2019, 06:36 PM »
Matt12 I went with the RIDGID it has more power than the DeWalt or Milwaukee it drills holes like crazy. Got the drill 9ahbattery and charger over the holidays for less than 175.00 inc tax, plus lifetime replacement warranty on all 3 of them.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.