Author Topic: Auger for Clam Gear Drive  (Read 659 times)

Offline bullpine

• Team IceShanty Addict
Auger for Clam Gear Drive
« on: Feb 20, 2021, 07:47 PM »
I put the clam extension on my clam gear drive using a 8 inch Mora Strike Master auger bit.  I attached the auger to the Clam extension using the included hex bolt and used the auger wing bolt to attach to the gear drive.  Likely had that backwards as it failed after about 40 holes and my bite went down the hole after the bolt broke at the gear drive.

Anyhow I noticed that the Mora drags you down to the ice when you break through and that if you aren't on that it is tough on the back.  Since I am back to square one pairing the Clam gear drive with another auger bit and do not wish to add more structure to the lake, any ideas on what auger bit works best with this application.  By the way the gear drive drill 8 inch hole easily and I never found the end of the battery on my fuel drill.

Offline Kevin23

• Team IceShantyholic
Re: Auger for Clam Gear Drive
« Reply #1 on: Feb 20, 2021, 08:33 PM »
If the auger is pulling you down, you are drilling at a slight angle.
EYECONICFISHING

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
Re: Auger for Clam Gear Drive
« Reply #2 on: Feb 21, 2021, 07:22 AM »
If the auger is pulling you down, you are drilling at a slight angle.

X2 ..my buddy just put SM stainless steel Mora  blades on his HT E-Drill..reports the auger really wants to pull you down ..its a learning curve as farr as break through some folks just lift the auger up some just before break through ..but mostly its the angle ..especially if you start off at arms length and step up into the drill ..when you lift it straight up as you are over the top of the drill its not the same angle as when you started.to drill A lot of the composite drills have a ring for break through.
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.