Author Topic: Spring bobbers  (Read 3788 times)

Offline shrub

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • The secret to fishing: Fish where the fish are!
Spring bobbers
« on: Dec 09, 2005, 08:47 AM »
How many people use spring bobbers on thier jig rods?? i just put one on my medium action uglyice combo, now i just need ice to try it out

Betty and Lucey say "HI"!

Fishmon

Re: Spring bobbers
« Reply #1 on: Dec 09, 2005, 09:05 AM »
U will not regret this.  It will improve your catch rate dramatically; especially if you fish for light biting fish like bluegills and crappies.  Just keep your eye on bobber and you will start seeing micro bites.  Use a light line to fish smaller jigs.  I use 3# P-line flourice with a nice rod/reel combination and it works great. Combine this with electronics and U will be dangerous to panfish population.

Offline Auger

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Chicks dig blaze orange!
« Reply #2 on: Dec 09, 2005, 09:19 AM »
The use of spring bobbers greatly improved my strike detection when I started using them.  It took me a while to adjust to them, but once I did, I couldn't get away from them.  I had trouble setting the hook "past" the spring, if that makes any sense.  I was trying to set the hook using the action of the spring instead of the rod.  I'm not explaining it well, but it doesn't matter because I'm over it.
High Chancellor of WIRC and Provost of Potent Potable Procurement .

Seattle Seven Member #000003

Offline C.C.

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • DO NOT BE AFRAID !!!!
« Reply #3 on: Dec 09, 2005, 09:27 AM »
I use to use the old schooly rods that had bobbors on them and they were ok. I got a couple jigging rods last year and they were ok also. This year I got two of the St. croix legends that have a bobber on them and can't wait to try them out.
     Jim

Offline Jangus

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Dec 09, 2005, 06:38 PM »
I used an Ugly Ice combo with a spring bobber all last year.  The spring bobber is pretty great, I need to get more.
Craving ice...

Offline shrub

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • The secret to fishing: Fish where the fish are!
« Reply #5 on: Dec 09, 2005, 07:03 PM »
I used an Ugly Ice combo with a spring bobber all last year.  The spring bobber is pretty great, I need to get more.

i bought medium action last year, im hoping for the light and U.L for x-mas. i got the spring bobber from a buddy but i plan on getting a few more, thier only 96 cents at wal walmart so i figure it couldent hurt to try them out

Betty and Lucey say "HI"!

Offline reelbigfish

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Just one more and we'll all go home. SE Mi.
« Reply #6 on: Dec 10, 2005, 07:57 AM »
  There are several types of spring bobbers out there.  The flat (1/4" wide) ones
that schooley poles come rigged with are ok for hard bites and they let you reel.
Then there are the actual spring ones.  Sensative but they bounce in the wind.
The neoprene strike indicators are hard to read on lite bites.  Then there are the
twisted wire ones with colored beads.  The best in my humble opinion.  I modify
short schooley poles by wrapping thin wire around spring bobber and rod tip and
tying it off.  I then cover the wire with JB quick weld.  I then bend spring bobbers
90 degrees to rod.  You can watch even the lightest bite.  The down side is these
springs fold and you can't reel.  So if you don't mind hand lining these will up your
catch rate.

Ted
Many men go fishing their entire lives without knowing it's not fish they are after.
Thoreau

Offline Preacher_man

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Have a Real CRAPPIE Day!!!!
« Reply #7 on: Dec 12, 2005, 06:46 PM »
 I have my good friend Jigger Jim, make mine for me! He uses piano wire and then paints them Flor. Orange! I love them and wouldn't go panfishing without using them,especially crappies!
TEAM  PA.

Offline coldbum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Dec 12, 2005, 09:02 PM »
I used a spring bobber for the first time yesterday and yes you can def. detect more bites

but it kept freezing up so bad it was worthless, could not reel the fish in

ripped that dang thing off, the action on the pole was light enough to detect finicky crappies

if someone has some advice I might try them again as the lite biters cant get by it

Offline valleye

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Dec 13, 2005, 12:43 PM »
I use to use the old schooly rods that had bobbors on them and they were ok. I got a couple jigging rods last year and they were ok also. This year I got two of the St. croix legends that have a bobber on them and can't wait to try them out.
     Jim

I bought the 24" UL Legend last year and It definitely increased my catches, especially with the GIlls and Crappies. Well worth the fifty bucks.  I just bought a frabilll panfish popper with spring bobber for 13 bucks.  Will see how this one compares to the St X.  The only bad thing about spring bobbers is it is pretty useless on windy days without a shanty.
'Carpe Diem' does not mean 'Fish of the Day'

Offline icejunky

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • TEAM ONTARIO
« Reply #10 on: Dec 13, 2005, 12:48 PM »
I just bought a Frabil Panfish Popper with the spring bobber tip. Looks like it should do the job, I usually fish in a shanty and should not have an issue with it freexing up..

Offline JigAwhopper

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • addicted to ICE
« Reply #11 on: Dec 13, 2005, 04:52 PM »
I used to use spring bobbers a lot when I first started icefishing.  I ordered three different ones from St Croix that they make for their line of fishing poles.  I used a small rod guide and piece foam to attach them to my rods.  The only problem I had with them  was constant freezing  and they're kind a delicate and prone to damage.   And they're just about useless for jigging with heavier baits in deeper water.     I still use them in shallow water for panfish sometimes but a better option is to buy quality rods with correct action to match lures used.  It's hard to beat a well balanced combo and the vexilar.  My favorite setup for panfish right now is an ultralight panfish rod from frabill with ul rods spooled with 2lb test line.  I'm positive that I rarely miss a bite.   I fish in a portable shelter though,  so I can see every twitch,   I think for guys with no portables,  it's still a very good option because  it's a lot harder to detect bites when sitting on a bucket.

Offline Shrek

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Dec 15, 2005, 05:26 PM »
I honestly think that anything that bites light enough I need one of those I don't want to mess with the little devils ;D, around here most the time its too cold and they would ice up really bad and be a hassle. But if I should ever try one I think I would look into the one you can just slip into the tip and slide in or out to adjust F/ light to medium light bites.looks like a spring F/ writing pen.
Even a bad day fishing beats a good day at work.

Offline woody

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #13 on: Dec 19, 2005, 06:36 PM »
  I've been trying the flat 1/4" units and they work great. The clip that comes with them sucks though so I just use rod wrapping thread and lash them to the tip with that using the typical guide wrapping scheme. They become part of the rod that way and I think they are the way to go for the light biters. Any other way I tried to attach them to the rod didn't seem to work.

woody

Offline Auger

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Chicks dig blaze orange!
« Reply #14 on: Dec 20, 2005, 09:33 AM »
I just bought a Frabil Panfish Popper with the spring bobber tip. Looks like it should do the job, I usually fish in a shanty and should not have an issue with it freexing up..
I just got some too.  I thought I was going to break off the tip-tops when I installed them, but they look like they're going to work really well.
High Chancellor of WIRC and Provost of Potent Potable Procurement .

Seattle Seven Member #000003

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.