Author Topic: Gloves/ Mitts for ice fishing  (Read 3327 times)

Offline DawntoDusk

• IceShanty Rookie
Gloves/ Mitts for ice fishing
« on: Nov 03, 2018, 01:16 PM »
Just curious, but what gloves/ mitts do you use when ice fishing?

Offline skifisher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Gloves/ Mitts for ice fishing
« Reply #1 on: Nov 03, 2018, 01:34 PM »
You can’t beat a pair of military surplus lined mittens with wool gloves. You have the choice of just the mitts, just the gloves, or both. I am really sensitive to the cold, (following a bout with near frostbite), and have found mittens heat up quickly and keep you warm.
"Ice fishing...ah, the anticipation! 🎣”

Offline FG Steve

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Nov 03, 2018, 03:55 PM »
Fingerless wool gloves with flip-over mitten cover for fingertips.
 Happiness is a wife who can outfish you.

Offline Iceassin

• Team IceShantyholic
  • The secret to fishing...fish where the fish are.
« Reply #3 on: Nov 03, 2018, 04:38 PM »
Just a pair of Jersey gloves under a decent pair of waterproof mittens. Nothing special but keeps hands warm and dry. Don't even wear them if possible.
"Si quaeris peninsulam amoenam circumspice."

Offline bart

• Team IceShantyholic
  • I love you, Deb
« Reply #4 on: Nov 03, 2018, 05:24 PM »
I have been using the Military Surplus Wool Glove Inserts for years(shown in avatar) and still wear them. I now have black for icefishing, use the green for hunting.
"Many fish their entire lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after."-Henry David Thoreau
  Keep America Godly...

Offline mboss13

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Nov 03, 2018, 06:55 PM »
The largest icearmor from clam. Dropped the money on them last year and never looked back.

Offline Baetis62

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Nov 03, 2018, 09:48 PM »
Good thinsulate muff with a dry towel handy. 

Offline emmettid

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Nov 04, 2018, 08:16 AM »
DEER skin mittens outers and cotton fingerless gloves inside,got them about 20 years ago up in Moscow Idaho. ;D

Offline badger132

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Nov 04, 2018, 03:13 PM »
I always wear disposable rubber mechanics gloves first- just keeping the wind off and your hands dry is enough for some of the days. I use either glomitts or mittens over them, or just put my hands in my pockets with a hand warmer when it is colder.

Offline Icer for life

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Nov 04, 2018, 05:47 PM »
Always have worn over-sized mitts with a hand warmer if needed.  The over-size....easy on/easy off and plenty of room with the hand warmer to move the digits.

Offline kayl

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #10 on: Nov 04, 2018, 05:58 PM »
I have a pair of the Cabela's Pinnacle Gloves and they're amazing, but I think they're too heavy for most of the day.  I picked up a pair of insulated rubber dipped gloves from Menards that were pretty solid last year. I just got a pair of fingerless windproof fleece gloves from Amazon and they're pretty good too.

Online mr.clean

• Team IceShantyholic
  • new windsor,ny.
« Reply #11 on: Nov 05, 2018, 11:35 AM »
Living in and fishing mostly the south eastern New York area I do not fish in the extreme below zero degree(F) temperatures many of you do so this choice may not work for all of you. I have a pair of HT Enterprises Polar Eskimo Mitts(mittens) textured rubber outer shell with removable inner synthetic fleece liner. The size of the mitts allows me to wear fingerless fleece gloves and the mitts together we needed also can put a hand warmer packet between shell  and liner. Think you will find these gloves for sale on Fish USA website and Amazon believe they are styled after a brand called Joffa popular in Finland.
Steve

Offline SHaRPS

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Honor Respect Loyalty
« Reply #12 on: Nov 05, 2018, 12:00 PM »
I noticed that wearing a pair of latex gloves under a pair of mittens also worked well. Kept hands dry and kept the warm body heat in and the mittens kept the elements out. Just food for thought.
Just add water.

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #13 on: Nov 05, 2018, 12:22 PM »
Living in and fishing mostly the south eastern New York area I do not fish in the extreme below zero degree(F) temperatures many of you do so this choice may not work for all of you. I have a pair of HT Enterprises Polar Eskimo Mitts(mittens) textured rubber outer shell with removable inner synthetic fleece liner. The size of the mitts allows me to wear fingerless fleece gloves and the mitts together we needed also can put a hand warmer packet between shell  and liner. Think you will find these gloves for sale on Fish USA website and Amazon believe they are styled after a brand called Joffa popular in Finland.
Steve
when i do wear mittens to pull out/in my gear,these are what i wear also.i never wear gloves or mittens while fishing.

Offline Junkie4Ice

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #14 on: Nov 05, 2018, 01:38 PM »
Good thinsulate muff with a dry towel handy.

Yup, I've dropped hundreds of dollars on gloves trying to find a pair that's warm but doesn't sacrifice dexterity. Long story short, they don't exist. A nice muff and no gloves is the only way I go now. I'll use the ice armour chopper mits for pulling my sled if needed.
Da Pack!

Offline Hoserman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Nov 05, 2018, 07:16 PM »
Yup, I've dropped hundreds of dollars on gloves trying to find a pair that's warm but doesn't sacrifice dexterity. Long story short, they don't exist. A nice muff and no gloves is the only way I go now. I'll use the ice armour chopper mits for pulling my sled if needed.
Oh yes I agree. I have a muff and I put a chemical hand warmer inside and it works great for me. The mitts are there for pulling my gear out and back. NOW, if money is no problem you can shop here. http://www.northernoutfitters.com/ I have several of their items and they are worth the money. I had a pair of their Arctic expedition boot that was guaranteed to keep your feet at a warm 90* 24 hours a day @ -80* Of course I never tested them at any where near those temps. :o ;D
Tried ice fishing with Dynamite, UGH... where's my shanty?

Offline WalleyeBird

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Nov 05, 2018, 07:53 PM »
Another vote for no gloves. Have a cheap pair of leather snowmobile gloves for the walk out but once there it’s all bare hands, pockets, and buddy heater. Too picky about how my pole gets handled. Haha.

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #17 on: Nov 05, 2018, 07:56 PM »
Another vote for no gloves. Have a cheap pair of leather snowmobile gloves for the walk out but once there it’s all bare hands, pockets, and buddy heater. Too picky about how my pole gets handled. Haha.
im with you..unhooking a fish with gloves or mitts is a pain too.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.