New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: SOUTHERN N.Y. THREAD (L.I., WESTCHESTER, PUTNAM, DUTCHESS, SULLIVAN, ORANGE COUN  (Read 1092263 times)

Offline alexg425

• IceShanty Rookie
looks like open water fishing continues. damn rain and 50 degree weather. its ok. the walleye have been hitting good

Itching so bad to catch, probably going to drive from westchester tonight to fish the night bite/sunrise bite for walleyes on the susquehanna.  I hate the fishing down here its a  joke.  I miss living in Syracuse!

Offline tipup28

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • ~ Gino Alessandro
Remember as well some reservoirs are restricted from ice fishing.

Yes, no ice fishing on Kensico or New Croton Reservoirs in Westchester County.

Offline mr.clean

• Team IceShantyholic
  • new windsor,ny.
Fisher277d check the NYC DEP's website but I believe gas powered augers are not permitted on the reservoirs .
Steve

Offline beachwoods 16

• Team IceShanty Addict
Get out and look! Always be safe, But there are spots where the ice probably held better than you think! I doubt anyone is finding six inches but by the morning 3-4.

Offline pauly6777

• IceShanty Rookie
Correct, no gas powered augers but per the proposed new rules, electric and drill powered angers will be ok.

quote author=mr.clean link=topic=115262.msg3903672#msg3903672 date=1546054384]
Fisher277d check the NYC DEP's website but I believe gas powered augers are not permitted on the reservoirs .
Steve
[/quote]

Offline kbaez

• Team IceShanty Regular
any safe ice in sullivan looking to head out possably monday or tuesday

Offline beachwoods 16

• Team IceShanty Addict
any safe ice in sullivan looking to head out possably monday or tuesday
You won't get out Tuesday (probably). Monday night rain and the temps towards 50 on Tuesday. My son and I fished near Waneta  this morning on a private pond and had three solid inches. We walked a little ways out on Waneta yesterday and it felt decent but did not drill a hole. Lake Huntington was an absolutely not yesterday. Good luck :tipup:

Offline fishfighter

• Team IceShanty Regular
More and more open spots on places and the wind ripped up some places and destroyed the ice. I was out on 4 inches Wednesday but the shorelines were only an inch. I won’t be going out anytime soon after that last warm up and rain.
Mark it 8 dude

Offline NYBasser

• Team IceShanty Regular
Superior shorelines were shot, wont be good until next freeze

Offline beachwoods 16

• Team IceShanty Addict
Won't be long now.......Unless it is.

Offline bowski76

• Team IceShanty Regular
NYC DEP has proposed changes that have not approved, one of them is electric augers, as of now they are not allowed. There was supposed to be a meeting in December '18 but it was postponed until February.
Just to be clear, ice fishing is not permitted on any NYC reservoirs west of the Hudson River.

Offline Nalix45

• IceShanty Rookie
New to the forum. Went out on the ice for my first time last year being born in Florida it isn't something I ever had a desire to do but man was I wrong. Just waiting impatiently at this point just like everyone else. Considering a trip upstate this weekend to see if I can find some ice

Offline Nalix45

• IceShanty Rookie
Also, are gas pockets present on every lake or do they only occur under certain conditions? I was out on cross river at least 10 times last year and don't remember coming across anything like that.

Online hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
Also, are gas pockets present on every lake or do they only occur under certain conditions? I was out on cross river at least 10 times last year and don't remember coming across anything like that.

Good read ….http://lakeice.squarespace.com/gas-holes/

http://lakeice.squarespace.com/
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline mr.clean

• Team IceShantyholic
  • new windsor,ny.
Nalix45 welcome to Ice Shanty ,please update your profile with your general location it helps when answering your questions especially if you ask for ice conditions.
Bowski76 thank you for the information on the NYC reservoirs I was under the impression that electric powered augers were legal good to know you can only hand drill your holes.
Hardwater Diehard thank you for the hyper links Lake Square Space website looks it it is a good source of information about ice formation.

I have sent Emails to both the Monticello Fire Dept. and a contact I have with the Monticello Fire Dept. about if they are having an ice fishing contest this year no replies  back to date. Also have been checking the Facebook pages of Fallsburg , Swan Lake Fire Dept.'s and Mahogany Ridge Hunting and Fishing club to see if any info. has been posted on their respective contests nothing to date. Hope the temperatures drop so more lakes in our area become fishable. right now for reports here on I.S. seems like you need to travel to higher elevation areas of Green County (northern catskills) or further north to fish through the ice.

Steve

Online hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
Mr Clean I have been checking the usual sites/posts from the local Sullivan Co FDs and clubs ...only one thus far is the SCCC that I know of for February 17 2019..i did PM adkRoy...but appears he is not been active since last season

https://www.facebook.com/SullivanCounty.ConservationClub/photos/pcb.2969654823060675/2969653643060793/?type=3&theater
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline Gamalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Around these parts I have only seen gas holes in the Bashakill swamp. Just as dangerous and pretty prevalent in Swinging Bridge is the Mongaup river flowing through it. There is also a connecting pipe from Cliff lake that enter the reservoir on the west side and a bit south from the public launch area that can be pretty dangerous. Our larger reservoirs are all used as either hydro power or drinking water supplies. This means the surface water levels are subject to rise and fall. The shore line ice is where this is most noticeable and a royal PITA because as you are getting on or off there is usually a steep slope of thick ice left from where the level dropped. I have seen SB drop a few feet in a short period of just a day or two and one day it was easy getting on or off and a few days later not easy at all.
No worries this year so far because the last I checked we still have lots of open water on almost all the lakes. Some brave souls might push the limits and venture out but most of us will patiently await a much needed severe drop in sustained cold temps. This crap with 20s at night and 40s during the days will not do a thing to set up safe ice conditions. Like I said in a previous post in this thread there have been a few years over the last 40 when we never did get safe ice all winter long except on very small farm ponds and well protected private small lakes. In early November things were looking great for a long ice season and then it all disappeared in just a few days of warmer temps and warm rains. Be patient but most of all be SAFE!

Gam 
If I agreed with you we would both be wrong!

Offline mr.clean

• Team IceShantyholic
  • new windsor,ny.
Hardwater diehard thank you for the reply so far I've only seen information on King of the ice (Sullivan county conservation club) contest and Hurleyville FD/Town of Fallsburg youth commission contests. I know last year both Fallsburg and Monticello choose not to hold contests both fire departments may now hold some other type of fund raiser that is less weather dependent. Swan Lake FD seems to wait to close to their contest date before posting details on their Facebook page believe they usually hold it on the third Sat. in Jan. conditions permitting.(Jan.26) this year.
Mahogany Ridge contest was always hard for me to get info. another I.s. member posted link to their Facebook page last year so now it is a little easier.Going by previous years this contest will be on Sat. Feb.16 TH at Highland Lake register on day of contest at the Sand Beach Bar.(lake is near village of Eldred in western Sullivan county). After contacting AdkRoy and getting no response sent message to Raquettedacker and he is handling the contest and derbies thread this year info. on Hurleyville contest can be found in that thread which is located near top of NY. General forum/board. I hope everything is well with AdkRoy and his family strange that he is not active this year.
Steve

Offline phil o

• IceShanty Rookie
i looked in the conditions thread but couldnt find anything.  i am coming up from NJ for a long weekend with the wife and kids was going to try for mid/late january and rent an airbnb on one of the privates lakes in wurtsboro.  was hoping to not have to travel all the way up to lake george/vermont area and stay in sullivan county.  should i cancel the plans and just go farther north, or re book for february?  this weather is really terrible, i dont think we are ever going to get safe ice this winter near me :(

edit:  thanks to whoever moved this here, i swear i looked for the sullivan county thread

Online hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
i looked in the conditions thread but couldnt find anything.  i am coming up from NJ for a long weekend with the wife and kids was going to try for mid/late january and rent an airbnb on one of the privates lakes in wurtsboro.  was hoping to not have to travel all the way up to lake george/vermont area and stay in sullivan county.  should i cancel the plans and just go farther north, or re book for february?  this weather is really terrible, i dont think we are ever going to get safe ice this winter near me :(

Winter is on a break till next Wednesday..after that it looks like temps will be good for ice making ..check Accuweather for zip code 12775 ..seems to be fairly accurate as opposed to zip code 12790 .Which lake ?

Offline phil o

• IceShanty Rookie
Winter is on a break till next Wednesday..after that it looks like temps will be good for ice making ..check Accuweather for zip code 12775 ..seems to be fairly accurate as opposed to zip code 12790 .Which lake ?

yankee.  ive been checking the 10 day on accuweather for weeks now.  i swear i looked at it a few days ago and the lows were 20+degrees lower than they are now. 

Online hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
yankee.  ive been checking the 10 day on accuweather for weeks now.  i swear i looked at it a few days ago and the lows were 20+degrees lower than they are now. 

Yes they were ..Yankee is open now as are most in the general area ...had good ice and then thawed several times since November..so folks even dropped lines. ..next week should be better though .

Offline Gamalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Yankee is a nice ice fishing lake so I would hold of and book for mid February but even then keep checking here because this is one of those strange winters. My brother lives in Yankee lake and we grew up on Masten's lake.

GaryL
If I agreed with you we would both be wrong!

Offline beachwoods 16

• Team IceShanty Addict

edit:  thanks to whoever moved this here, i swear i looked for the sullivan county thread
Problem is unless there is a foot of ice you can't plan two weeks in advance. You would have a hard time finding 3 inches today.

Offline phil o

• IceShanty Rookie
Problem is unless there is a foot of ice you can't plan two weeks in advance. You would have a hard time finding 3 inches today.

True, but if i was betting id say there is a much better chance of good ice feb 15th, than jan 15th just based on the total lack of it right now. 

Offline Skylands27

• IceShanty Rookie
So my assumption is there no ice about anywhere this far south? Might be trying to fish tomorrow coming up from nj so its sounding like another trip to the adks?

Offline Edm87

• Team IceShanty Regular
Go north, unless you plan on fishing from a boat.

Offline Loudmouth879

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • When you find your passion pursue it like crazy

You can plan 2 weeks out if there's 6 inches of ice as long as the weather cooperates... I have a trip planned for jan 22-27th for great sacandaga lake.... we've had it planned since before xmas and they were not fishing it then. A few people have been on it between xmas and now though. Heck you could fish now if you're willing to travel up north. They've been fishing Schroon for a while now.

IceShanty Tournament 1st Place Muskie 2012
ISNY Tournament 2nd Place Crappie 2013, 2n

Offline beachwoods 16

• Team IceShanty Addict
You can plan 2 weeks out if there's 6 inches of ice as long as the weather cooperates... I have a trip planned for jan 22-27th for great sacandaga lake.... we've had it planned since before xmas and they were not fishing it then. A few people have been on it between xmas and now though. Heck you could fish now if you're willing to travel up north. They've been fishing Schroon for a while now.
Well sure as you go north it gets easier. This year with no Ice right now in Sully, I'm not sure I would plan to come here in two weeks. I'll head north soon as the winter chores are a little closer to done. Good luck on your trip .:tipup:

Offline Loudmouth879

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • When you find your passion pursue it like crazy
I'm not sure I would plan to come here in two weeks.

I wasn't saying this year... said if there was 6" you could plan it.
You can plan 2 weeks out if there's 6 inches of ice as long as the weather cooperates...

If the two of the spots I fish in Orange County held their ice I should be fishing next week... stood on the one spot last week but didn't venture out much past the shoreline but it was solid black ice.

IceShanty Tournament 1st Place Muskie 2012
ISNY Tournament 2nd Place Crappie 2013, 2n

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.