The Ice Fishing MA is board

Author Topic: Beautiful conditions...the bite not so much  (Read 391 times)

Offline Brendog9

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Ga head
Beautiful conditions...the bite not so much
« on: Feb 21, 2024, 08:47 PM »
Ventured up to Rutland MA today, I should be a part-time resident at this point during the season.

Met up with Comeonnow at Whitehall Pond. The flags were few and far between from about 8-11:30. Between the two of us we had a mixed bag of a few bass, a very long and skinny crappie, a bluegill and a pumpkinseed.

We made the executive decision to move to a different pond in search of yellow perch but our efforts were fruitless. The highlight was seeing two bald eagles flying in tandem and also hanging out together in a tall, dead pine tree. One of the eagles grabbed a pickerel from another group, that never gets old watching them swoop down.

Around 3:30 I went over to Long Pond looking for some redemption. I was able to jig up a pickerel and bluegill in about an hour. I thought the pickerel was going to be a rainbow. I was fishing in 12 FOW and got a mark at 7', reeled up to it and got smoked immediately. At first I was bummed, but was happy to have something decent to show for. Also had two flags on tip ups, but missed the hookset both times.

The conditions were unreal today. It was nice fishing without a jacket or gloves for almost the entire day. Easily the best conditions day I've had this season.
Marking anything?

Offline Comeonnow-

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Beautiful conditions...the bite not so much
« Reply #1 on: Feb 22, 2024, 03:04 PM »
It was a beautiful day with great company. The fish didn't cooperate but I'm sure there will be another day of fishing soon.

Offline Brendog9

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Ga head
« Reply #2 on: Feb 22, 2024, 03:59 PM »
You got that right! Hoping to get out there in March, haven’t done that in a long long time.
Marking anything?

Offline _Icecold_

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Feb 22, 2024, 07:33 PM »
Love to hear it. Tough year for ice especially for us southern new englanders but the long drives can be well worth it. Fished a couple weekends ago in NH when it was 50 degrees, cool to be able to take your jacket off and still be warm while atv's and snowmobiles tooling around.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.