Author Topic: Daytime Walleyes  (Read 11810 times)

Offline bigredonice

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • keep searchin' 'till ya find 'em.
Daytime Walleyes
« on: Dec 09, 2005, 10:34 AM »
Anyone have any consistant luck with walleyes during the day? It seems the only walleye bite that I can get on is during the twilight periods.

grumpymoe

Re: Daytime Walleyes
« Reply #1 on: Dec 09, 2005, 10:43 AM »
dusk and dawn for the most part during hardwater....softwater is a different story as you can induce a reaction strike.....Grump

Offline IceGeek

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Dec 09, 2005, 11:13 AM »
I've found on a few lakes I fish that in addition to the dusk/dawn timeframes there seems to be a less intense feeding period around 11am to 1pm....when there is a bit of snow cover on the lake..otherwise its a dusk/dawn/night kinda thing for me

Offline Shrek

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Dec 09, 2005, 05:12 PM »
I have spent a lot of time fishing F/ walleye and find they seem to go on feeding spurts on average every 3 1/2 hours so ,daylight ,again around 11 or near noon ,3 and at dark. just my experience but  I have caught them just about anytime of day,you just have to work for them. ;)
Even a bad day fishing beats a good day at work.

Offline fishuhalik

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Dec 09, 2005, 05:18 PM »
I've got 'em all time of the day on Upper Red in MN while crappie fishing.  Although, there is about 4-5 ft of ice on the lake, not to mention snow cover.  I'm sure it's perty dark down there.

Always wear clean underwear, cuz ya never know when the paramedics are gonna have to cut your pants off.

Offline Traxion

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #5 on: Dec 09, 2005, 07:33 PM »
I catch lots of 'eyes during the day with panfish gear.  I have also began using the XL size Genz worms packed with spikes, and have had good daytime luck.  Tipups also produce a few fish. 

Offline fishuhalik

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Dec 10, 2005, 09:50 AM »
I've also caught 'eyes in the middle of the day on Winnibigoshish, which is crystal clear on sunny days.  Just shootin holes in your theory, slip!    ;)2

Always wear clean underwear, cuz ya never know when the paramedics are gonna have to cut your pants off.

Offline bigredonice

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #7 on: Dec 10, 2005, 11:19 AM »
I've also caught 'eyes in the middle of the day on Winnibigoshish, which is crystal clear on sunny days.

What kind of an area were you fishing? Flats? Breaklines? Weeds? Reef?

camo_fish

« Reply #8 on: Dec 10, 2005, 04:07 PM »
I've also caught 'eyes in the middle of the day on Winnibigoshish, which is crystal clear on sunny days.  Just shootin holes in your theory, slip!    ;)2
What kind of an area were you fishing? Flats? Breaklines? Weeds? Reef?
Yes do tell, where abouts are you targeting them during the sunny daylight hours?  ;D

Offline fishuhalik

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Dec 10, 2005, 04:35 PM »
Same as everywhere else, off breaks, usually about 18-25 fow.  Anyone on this thread ever fished winni?  Help me confirm that 'eyes are caught during the middle of the day out there w/ consistency.   :-[

camo_fish

« Reply #10 on: Dec 10, 2005, 05:55 PM »
Help me confirm that 'eyes are caught during the middle of the day out there w/ consistency.   :-[
I believe ya, there are articles in In-Fisherman, about daytime walleyes.
The one I got on tipup last year came about 10-11am. Just wondering if there location during the day is alittle different than in the evening. But, just like other fish on the ice, as long as you can locate them and get the bait of choice down to them, BLAM-O, Fish On!  ;D

Offline bigredonice

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #11 on: Dec 10, 2005, 07:04 PM »
Same as everywhere else, off breaks, usually about 18-25 fow.  Anyone on this thread ever fished winni?  Help me confirm that 'eyes are caught during the middle of the day out there w/ consistency.   :-[

I'm not doubting you...just wanted some info on locations I should be looking at on my home lake

Offline timbertom

• IceShanty Rookie
  • WALLEYES, WALLEYES AND SOMETIMES WALLEYES
« Reply #12 on: Dec 12, 2005, 11:45 AM »
I lived in the area for 35 years and ice fished Winnie a few times, but mostly fished lakes around Grand Rapids like Pokegama, Sugar, Splithand and Bowstring.  We did catch walleyes during the day, but always had better luck at dawn, dusk and at night.   

Offline cstolp

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Dec 12, 2005, 12:29 PM »
I fish Winnibigoshish several times during softwater and several during hardwater.  We only fish them during daylight hours and catch them throughout the day.  I've been told that there is absolutely no night bite whatsoever.  This is supposedly true of LOW as well.  At least that's what all the resorts and guides seem to think.  I've only ice-fished LOW once.  We rented a sleeper for 2 days and nights and I can tell ya that soon after the sun went down the bite dissappeared.

Chris
Cheese Head

Offline fishuhalik

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Dec 12, 2005, 02:59 PM »
As hard as it may be to believe, slip, it's true.  Winni is one of the strangest lakes there is when it comes to eyes.  There is no night bite.  My dad and his dad have been fishing it for years, and have never seen or heard of it.  Cutfoot, which is connected to Winni and is basically just a bay, does have a night bite early in the year around opener, but the big lake does not. 

Offline fishuhalik

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Dec 12, 2005, 03:55 PM »
It is nice!  Wake up around 9, 10 am, take your time getting out.  Fishing during the warmest part of the day, and catching 'eyes.  I've even done good out there when the water looks like glass and it's sunny and 90!  Mmmm... I love winnie 'eyes!!!

Offline walleye1

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #16 on: Dec 13, 2005, 09:52 AM »
We catch them during the day on Oneida with some consistency. The key is fishing cloudy days and in deeper water.

Offline Manny

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #17 on: Dec 14, 2005, 12:16 AM »
I have never gotten consistent action for walleye's in daytime, except for first-ice, but the saugers will bite all day.  It's not 'eyes but they are quite entertaining nonetheless.  Since we always fish for saugers deep, in 35-45 feet of water, incidental catches of decent walleyes are quite common.

Like I said, it's not walleyes but it fills the daytime void.

Manny

The minute you stop learning is the minute you are 6FT under.

Offline Ashnohgrimbatul

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Dec 14, 2005, 09:47 AM »
Last year I stumbled upon a spot where the walleye would bite during the day, but only in 30 minute windows...usually at around 11:00am and 3:00pm.  I am not sure if the fish were in the spot and inactive, or if they were on the move and only in the area for brief periods.  I suspect they were moving.
Let there be ice.

Offline Little Brown Dog

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • My fishing partner
« Reply #19 on: Dec 14, 2005, 07:24 PM »
So, I had to go to the book and see.

of the 24 walleye that I had in there, all but one was caught between 7 and 3

"My biggest worry is that when I die, my wife will sell all of my ice fishing gear for what I told her I paid for it"

Offline swantucky

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #20 on: Dec 16, 2005, 08:23 AM »
We catch them all day long on lake Erie sunny , overcast does'nt seem to matter.  When its on its on all day long.  When the bite is tough I would agree late in the day seems to be better.
Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away.

Offline bluegill hunter

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #21 on: Dec 16, 2005, 10:25 AM »
We catch them all day long on the Western portion of Lake Sakakawea.  the best bite is actually right around 10 am with not many biting after dark.  After dark one will get mostly ling, catfish and shiners.  When I have fished lake of the woods the guides say that the night bite is really happening however you can catch plenty of fish throughout the day there

trapperdirk

« Reply #22 on: Dec 17, 2005, 02:14 AM »
Yes there are those prime times at either dusk or dawn on many lakes but it's not when I mostly hunt big eyes and we hunt them till we find them and some days its alot of holes . We fish deep as in 35-40 fow and those fish bite . I am also a firm believer that there are always eyes that will bite on any lake at anytime of day and our best every year come from fishing deep during the day and hunting them down . What we also find is that those areas are mostly devoid of pike when both species inhabit the lake . We catch some smallies there,rockbass and more whitefish often than anything and these eyes are amongst them .
  I have caught some bruisers on flats during the day but its not the norm and I find it hard to stay on the fish for any length of time so I fish deep breaks more . If your lakes are shallower then look for the deepest break in that lake during the day .

TD

Offline Cargo

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #23 on: Dec 27, 2005, 01:41 AM »
After ice up the water will be very clear for me. The bite will be at dusk and dawn and short maybe 30 minutes. I really look forward to our first good snow and and warm spell, the run off will dirty the water and fishing can get real hot anytime during the day.
        I will jig from daylight to dark changing depths from 14' to 35'. Some of my biggest eyes have come at 10am and 2pm. I really seem to target 17' to 22' drop offs 30' to 35'.

Offline ICE LUNATIC

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • shiney eyes here i come!
« Reply #24 on: Jan 05, 2006, 08:28 PM »
I have caught many walleyes during the day ,the last one i got was at noon time !Thinking it might just be a little luck on my side.....LOL
Trying to become a shiney eye king!

Offline jf5

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #25 on: Jan 09, 2006, 05:46 PM »
In my limited experience for ice walleyes, I have taken most at dusk or after dark. But, there are still exceptions.  Dec 2004 I took a 4lb eye at 12:30 in the afternoon and a few later that day. I have had open water days that I catch many walleyes right in bright sunlight.

Back to the ice though. Some tell you to fish deeper for daytime eyes. If you are catching them in say 6 FOW along a weedline at dark. Try 15+ FOW out from the weedline during the day...

Best part is when you can fish a lake for pike and eyes all day, then switch all traps to eyes that night! So if the day bite is slow, you have other species for action....

Offline bigredonice

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #26 on: Jan 09, 2006, 06:04 PM »
caught my first ice fishing daytime legal walleye yesturday.  Noon.  Bright sun. 18" walleye on a jigging spoon. 20 feet of water. 

Offline jf5

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #27 on: Jan 09, 2006, 06:21 PM »
caught my first ice fishing daytime legal walleye yesturday.  Noon.  Bright sun. 18" walleye on a jigging spoon. 20 feet of water. 

There you go Lance!! Nice!

I can't wait to get on the ice for some eyes in VT...2 more weeks!!

Offline Pasquatch

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #28 on: Jan 09, 2006, 07:22 PM »
I BEAT LANCE TO A FISHING MILESTONE! Will this tear a hole in the universe?

Good job Lance!

dwayne

« Reply #29 on: Jan 11, 2006, 11:10 AM »
There you go man.  Nice job and the best part is, IT WASN'T EVEN ON A TIPUP, thank god you didn't have to resort to using one of those to catch a walleye.  :clap: :clap: :thumbsup:

Easy on the tip-ups....they keep me in fresh walleye all winter long...

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.