Author Topic: Dead stick rods  (Read 5774 times)

Offline chasepalosaari

• Team IceShanty Regular
Dead stick rods
« on: Jan 16, 2012, 07:57 PM »
Do you guys have any experience with dead stick rods for walleye? I was shopping around and saw that frabill makes a dead stick rod. It's 30 inches and its like an ultra light, has a spring bobber on it. Is it worth it to buy one or should I just run a regular rod as a dead stick?

Offline Capt J

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Dead stick rods
« Reply #1 on: Jan 17, 2012, 10:25 AM »
I just use a regular rod. 

Offline AT3NCION

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Jan 17, 2012, 12:07 PM »
I just wrote a comprehensive reply that didn't post...
Anyways, I think many people have been doing fine dead sticking with any old rod they find in their bucket for years now. The big thing though is to use a rod that has a nice sensitive tip you can watch and determine what's happening. If you use live bait it's nice to see what the bait is doing, and of course if something bites you want to see that too. A good backbone will also make for a good hook set.
When you purchase a specifically deadsticking rod you may want to do some homework. As an example, to compare the Frabill Dead Stick to the Thorne Bros, the Frabill is graphite which means more sensitivity which you don't need if just using the rod as a dead stick and nothing else. The Thorne Bros is fiberglass which I'm sure they did on purpose to trade sensitivity for durability. Of course some fiberglass rods are also beautifully made and sensitive too. In the end though the Frabill rod is a fraction of the price but Thorne Bros makes a mean rod... The Walleye Sweethearts.... Mmmmmm fantastic piece of equipment.

Offline slipperybob

• Team IceShantyholic
  • LX5 or die...maybe extra battery.
« Reply #3 on: Feb 10, 2012, 10:51 AM »
How close will you be to your deadstick rod?  In most cases, I'm within an arm or two reach of my deadstick rod.  Still I like for it to be a little on the softer side, so I can see the rod tip flex after the take and swim away.  I've found that many light power rods performs well.  I've got a cheapo Shakespeare light power Fuel Ice rod and a more in tune St. Croix Light power ice rod just for the job.
For more information read my MN nice journal

Offline Booppr

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Feb 14, 2012, 11:48 PM »
For me, dead sticking for trout or anything that will bite, I use a regular medium/lite rod. Same I use for jigging. No need for a sensitive tip on the rod, that's what a spring bobber is for! I love those wire things. Even the littlest bites make the spring bobber dance like Yosemite Sam is shooting below it.... Lol. I have tried using slip bobbers, but with the small ice jigs, they don't provide the weight that is needed to suspend the bobber correctly. Splitshots are not really an option with the clear water. Even with the smallest jig it loads the spring bobberso you can see big movement when the fish lifts the jig. If you dot want to buy a spring bobber cut a straw from mc donnalds in half, snip the edge to make an eye and trim down the red color stripe and tape it to your pole. If you want it more sensitive make it longer, vise versa for a heavier jig. I will even use a spring bobber when jigging everything from jigging raps and big spoons.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.