Author Topic: dead bait/ live bait?  (Read 2052 times)

Offline Martian

• Team IceShanty Addict
dead bait/ live bait?
« on: Dec 01, 2020, 03:26 PM »
 I know this has been discussed repeatedly, but I have had luck with both.. However, it can be hard to find whole frozen smelt. I did find a fish market that sold Herring  whole, that were 10-12 inches long , and the fish guy told me he used that for bait a lot

Offline Iceassin

• Team IceShantyholic
  • The secret to fishing...fish where the fish are.
Re: dead bait/ live bait?
« Reply #1 on: Dec 01, 2020, 03:46 PM »
I don't know why it wouldn't work...or at least worth a try. I've heard of guys using Sardines...even hot dogs. I would try the Sardines...but the hot dogs are for me.  ;D
"Si quaeris peninsulam amoenam circumspice."

Offline WALL E GATOR

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Dec 01, 2020, 03:52 PM »
Can't use live fish for bait in Idaho so I use preserved ones and they work, sort of. I'm sure a live shiner down there swimming around would work better than dead preserved ones from a jar.
FISH ON! and Tight Lines

Offline river_scum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • hook n cook
« Reply #3 on: Dec 01, 2020, 05:58 PM »
don't know where your from martian but most states don't care about dead bait types.  so why not catch your own baits to freeze.  chubs are one of the smelliest baits around and I bet they swim close to your home.

I really don't think pike care what they find to eat.  I have used all kinds of panfish for tip up baits also.  ( its legal here)   perch are one of my favorites.  just the rite size and hardy as all the day long. used a bunch of 3" gills too for bass pike and eyes.  they work just as well and are free! 

one bait that never gets used under the ice is crawdads.  I find them in the bellies of fish, so they are scurrying around down there getting eaten. should make for great bait rite.  crawlers are another bait I don't see used in winter.  I have used them with great success on bass n eyes. pans will trip your flags though.
real fishermen don't ask "where you catch those"

OANN the real story

- member here since -2003- IN.

Offline Martian

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Dec 02, 2020, 10:51 AM »
don't know where your from martian but most states don't care about dead bait types.  so why not catch your own baits to freeze.  chubs are one of the smelliest baits around and I bet they swim close to your home.

I really don't think pike care what they find to eat.  I have used all kinds of panfish for tip up baits also.  ( its legal here)   perch are one of my favorites.  just the rite size and hardy as all the day long. used a bunch of 3" gills too for bass pike and eyes.  they work just as well and are free! 

one bait that never gets used under the ice is crawdads.  I find them in the bellies of fish, so they are scurrying around down there getting eaten. should make for great bait rite.  crawlers are another bait I don't see used in winter.  I have used them with great success on bass n eyes. pans will trip your flags though.
  I live in mi. and you can use panfish, my favorite is also perch.

Offline Martian

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Dec 02, 2020, 10:54 AM »
 I did read an article on a guide in Canada, who only used dead bait. He brought up some very interesting points. He said , any predator, goes after the slow, weak, sick but basically is looking for the easiest meal in the troupe. He claimed he actually ordered live bait, but put them in a tub with no oxygenator.

Offline Rebelss

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
  • Inventor of Minnow Magic American Patriot
« Reply #6 on: Dec 02, 2020, 11:00 AM »
I often used the small canned shrimp for pannies. Worked for me. Hot dogs work well for northern, too.
“The mass of men live lives of quiet desperation”  Thoreau

Offline dave b.

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • waitin for winter
« Reply #7 on: Dec 04, 2020, 06:33 PM »
A dead smelt on the bottom works well for Lakers. I have seen northerns caught on them as well.

Offline 32footsteps

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Dec 07, 2020, 09:02 PM »
Find the closest Asian grocery store. If they have a frozen food section you’ll find unlimited possibilities for dead bait. Mackerel, scads, sand gobies, etc....those all work pretty well. I’ve used Octopus and it’s worked really, really well.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.