Author Topic: Arctic Warrior Question  (Read 1167 times)

Offline conesusguy

• Team IceShanty Regular
Arctic Warrior Question
« on: Nov 10, 2013, 08:21 PM »
Just curious I ordered a couple of these and am just wondering how can you get the bait where you want it (say a foot or two above bottom) when these traps are designed for slack line?  Are they only good for laying the bait on the bottom, say for pike fishing?  Only answer for this I thought would be to leave the drag completely loose.  Am I missing something here?  Anybody with expertise please advise.  Thanks!
This sport takes a certain amount of character in a man that we all should respect and take pride in.

Offline Ramp 23

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Arctic Warrior Question
« Reply #1 on: Nov 10, 2013, 08:35 PM »
I mark the line with hi-vis thread , the same stuff you use for slip float rigs. Thats how I set the baits depth or height off bottom, same as a slip float rig minus the float. The drag on the reel is set very loose, but not to loose that the bait can take line. Last season I saw small okuma baitrunner spinning reels being used & they worked great. No need to adjust the drag upon hooking a fish.  The okuma`s in that small size cost about 40 bucks.

Offline bmiller423

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Nov 11, 2013, 06:39 AM »
Just curious I ordered a couple of these and am just wondering how can you get the bait where you want it (say a foot or two above bottom) when these traps are designed for slack line?  Are they only good for laying the bait on the bottom, say for pike fishing?  Only answer for this I thought would be to leave the drag completely loose.  Am I missing something here?  Anybody with expertise please advise.  Thanks!

I use the same thing - the high vis threat for slip bobbers - but i also use my vexilar to make sure i'm in the right depth.  Once you have your depth set it's easy to re-rig after you catch a fish.  I use the lightest jig I can for the depth that I'm fishing. I actually keep my bale on my real open instead of adjusting my drag.  We do mostly perch and walleye fishing here and I found that by leaving my bale open the fish were less likely to spit the hook as they don't feel any line tension.  When a flag goes up I simply have to take the rod off the holder and keep feeding him line until i close the bale and set the hook.  Probably doubled my success rate. 

Offline lightningz

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Nov 11, 2013, 07:42 PM »
We use the Warriors with both spinning and casting set ups. Follow the instructions and loop the line around the hook end of the flag wire. This allows you to either leave the bail open on a spinning reel or freespool on a casting reel. If you experiment with the balance of the rod by adjusting the bracket up or back you will be able to fish any size bait with any trip setting you need. The slip bobber knot will allow you to return to the original depth after the line is reeled in.

Offline conesusguy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Nov 11, 2013, 07:51 PM »
You guys just gave me a great idea.  My grandfathers old penn peerless trolling reels.  With the slip bobber string for line marker as you mention.  As opposed to a spinning reel, the old penn's will work even better, letting the fish take the bait with no resistance and allowing me to keep my bait at the depth I want.  And they click for an audible alarm in case I miss the flag.  And when I get a fish on I can just flip the lever, set the hook and crank them in.  Thanks for turning the lightbulb on!
This sport takes a certain amount of character in a man that we all should respect and take pride in.

Offline JC001A

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Nov 13, 2013, 12:16 AM »
The okuma baitfeeder reels work really well with the warriors.We use them all the time .We set the depth with a vex. Then set the baitfeeder drag as light as it will go .When the fish hit they can still take line until you get there ,then push the switch set the hook and your fighting a fish on a pole rather than hand lining

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.