Author Topic: Anyone Use Frabill Artic Fire? Reel Question  (Read 2143 times)

Offline RickWakeman

• Team IceShanty Addict
Anyone Use Frabill Artic Fire? Reel Question
« on: Jan 25, 2012, 06:23 PM »
I am using the tip ups pictured below but I have a question on how I should reel in the line after hopefully catching a fish. It seems a little akward with the guide, and using the reel itself doesn't seem to get the line on tight enough. If I hold the spindle at the top so the reel stays stationary I can wrap the line, but the guide doesn't allow the line to cover the reel evenly.

Any help would be appreciated.

Offline berg285

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Anyone Use Frabill Artic Fire? Reel Question
« Reply #1 on: Jan 25, 2012, 07:41 PM »
The main thing with tipups is hand lining fish in.. when you get a flag and its spinning let some line out and slowly feel till you feel tension and set the hook... Just fight the fish by pulling line

Offline buddlakemusky

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Jan 25, 2012, 10:03 PM »
slide your line out of the guide and push the guide up away from your spool

Offline MEMAGGIENCOMET

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Jan 25, 2012, 10:08 PM »
I place the board part between my knees . I always hold onto the line with my other hand as i wind it up putting tension on it so it goes back on the spool tight. 

Offline Superpole

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Jan 26, 2012, 07:22 AM »
Assuming this is after the fish is on the ice...Grab the spool with your left hand so that the guide is between your index and middle fingers (the rest of the tipup will be facing to your left).  Run the line over your middle finger, under your ring finger, and over your pinkie so that you create tension when you reel with your right hand.     

Offline tinyfisher

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Jan 26, 2012, 07:47 AM »
I do it similar to superpole:

Hold tipup shaft (insert giggle here) and line guide in left hand.  Hold reel handle in right hand, and run tipup line between ring and pinky finger of right hand.  Use the fingers on the line to create tension as you reel, and move the line guide up and down to lay the line on the spool evenly.
Prayin' for cold

Offline NoMe

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Jan 26, 2012, 08:17 AM »
I place the board part between my knees . I always hold onto the line with my other hand as i wind it up putting tension on it so it goes back on the spool tight.
X2

The part of the trap opposite the flag, hold between knees, when you get use to it it is like second nature.

Offline oldbuck

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • usmc 1972-1976
« Reply #7 on: Jan 27, 2012, 05:29 AM »
I remove the line from the guide and rap it around the spool by hand. The guide is there so the line wont get tangled when a fish pulls it out. :tipup:

Offline Martian

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Jan 27, 2012, 09:11 AM »
  a tip-up, for the most part is just a strike indicator, let it run, by watching the top spin, wait till it stops, remove from hole, take line in hand reel in slowly till you feel resistance , hit him hand line in, re spool ,re set flag. In time, you will know if it is a good fish, and just like a drag on a ree does, wear him out , as opposed to winch him in,you will lose less fish. hope this helps

Offline IsomBay

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Jan 30, 2012, 08:53 PM »
How do you get these reels to spin a little more freely? A few don't have the "give".

Offline berg285

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Jan 30, 2012, 09:04 PM »
How do you get these reels to spin a little more freely? A few don't have the "give".

Loosen the 2 nuts at the top there should be about 1/4 play up and down  :tipup:

surflizard

« Reply #11 on: Jan 31, 2012, 06:53 AM »
These tipups can be tuned up by unthreading the trip bar, sliding the spool shaft out, wiping the old grease and appling a new coating of frabill sub zero grease. You will be amazed by how much more freely they spin, it only takes 10 minutes and you will catch more fish ! I regrease mine once a year and they are so much smoother now !
 I cheat when I rewind my AFs ! ;)2
Click on photo for video !

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.