Author Topic: Anyone? home made hole covers??  (Read 17709 times)

Offline BUSCHLITE

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Anyone? home made hole covers??
« Reply #30 on: Jan 02, 2012, 06:07 PM »
I made 6 covers today out of some used conveyor rubber belting. 12"x12" SQ with a 3/4" hole punched in the center. Then made a slit to the hole from the out side.

Matt

Offline icebucketjohn

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #31 on: Jan 03, 2012, 08:15 AM »
Cabin Fever is to the MAX. 2 sprained ankles aren't helping matters.

Decided to set up the shanty in the basement & do some gear mods & additions.... again for the umteeth time this year.

Here's a couple of pics of some Tip Up Hole Covers (and Tip Up Transport & Storage Unit). I made the hole covers yesterday using some scrap 3/16" rubber.

(They'll also store at the bottom of a 5 gallon bucket)

Tip Up Caddy:   http://img824.imageshack.us/img824/2590/tipupcaddy004.jpg

Hole Covers:    http://img268.imageshack.us/img268/3528/tipupholecovers.jpg

Storage & Trannsportation:   http://img23.imageshack.us/img23/3642/tipupsholecovers.jpg
Ice-Fisherman: We're all highly addicted, shivering, psychotic patients in the asylum of the frigid.

Offline fishinnut

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #32 on: Jan 03, 2012, 03:04 PM »
18"x18" Reversible Foam Mat; 4 pack from Menards for about $6.00...  They are square and I cut them to suit my needs...  they work great.

4 pack is $15.97, that's 9 sq ft. Walmart has Gold Gym mat 4'x6' or 24 sq ft for $19.99. Makes a great insulated floor or hole insulators.
God grant me strength to catch a fish
So large that even I
When telling of it afterwards
May never need to lie.

Offline addicted to ice fishing

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Feeding my addiction one lake at a time
« Reply #33 on: Jan 03, 2012, 11:54 PM »
Made some covers tonight. Used some black rubber material.

Offline buckzone101

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • T.Warrington Outdoors
« Reply #34 on: Jan 04, 2012, 10:03 AM »
i dont need them i just use my round tip ups they work amazing and never used them before just poped out the ice with my scoop or my boot heel.. nice looking set ups tho!!
INSTAGRAM@ twarringtonoutdoors

Offline gooseblaster49707

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #35 on: Jan 14, 2012, 07:11 PM »
i've been using the corragated plastic for years as hole covers.   ''vote for me'' signs are a good supply. your local party store or gas station will have the material laying around from beer signs.  color doesn't matter, they are to keep the blowing snow and light out of the hole. they also keep your tip-up from freezing down to the slush.  another fast/cheap way are placemats from the dollar store, around here 4 - $1.00 = 25 cents each.  i cut my covers round, smaller than a 5 gallon bucket diameter.  drill or cut your center hole just a bit bigger than the shaft on a polar or square for a heritage/indian hill style.  cut a slit from one edge to the center hole using a utility knife.    you can then use them as a bucket divider to keep your tip-ups from slapping around.   
rubber is heavy.   carpet needs to be dried out daily and tends to freeze down.   

Offline Martian

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #36 on: Jan 20, 2012, 02:00 PM »
 Not a material I would use , 2 reasons, I used to install floors, and ocassionally put in a floor with that, it is made out of re-cycled tires, ( called rep-tile), and is  heavy, and is real hard to cut.

Offline RIVERRAT2

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • try to fish over 200 days a year,have cut back now
« Reply #37 on: Jan 20, 2012, 02:09 PM »
free is the answer ,i use pail lids painted black
 ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
RAT
I LOVE FISHING.IT IS A FULLTIME JOB

Offline Chris338378

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #38 on: Jan 21, 2012, 03:44 AM »
I am going to make some out of the blue one inch foam insulation you can get at any lumber yard.  I use the wooden tip ups and am going to make a small channel in it so it will lay on the tip-up legs so it doesn't spin.  I will end up cutting a channel so it slides on the top of the tip up so there will be a small channel from the center to the edge.  I'm not sure yet if I'll put another small piece of foam on top to cover this "hole) or leave it open.  If I add the piece to the top I'll just use two cap nails, one as a pivot point and the other as a lock to hold it in place.  If I leave it open I'm just going to use a rubber band attached with thumb tacks to hold the rubber band in place and position it so the hole is away from the wind.  I haven't tried this idea out yet but am going to since you can get a piece of this foam for around $10 and make a few covers for the price of a factory made one.

Offline spotail

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #39 on: Jan 21, 2012, 03:26 PM »
i use 1/8" black rubber as well. 12" diameter circles with a small one inch circle cut out of the center.  A slit is cut from the center to the outside  The problem is cutting it.  A friend of mine has a special saw for rubber type materials

Offline Fontona19

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #40 on: Jan 21, 2012, 05:49 PM »
I made some out of the foam that people lay down on their shop floors with the interlocking grooves. They work really well for keeping the hole from freezing, but tend to freeze to the ice. No biggie, since you get so much of it.  ;D

Offline Capt J

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #41 on: Jan 21, 2012, 09:02 PM »
(Image removed from quote.)   (Image removed from quote.)

Walmart sleeping bag ground cover= $8 ya get 6 covers outta 1.

This is awesome

Offline fishinjim

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Quit Wishin, Go Fishin
« Reply #42 on: Jan 22, 2012, 03:26 PM »
Black roofing rubber, just ask some roofers that do industrial roofing they should have some scraps around, cut a 2 x 2 X in the middle, when storing they roll up and weigh next to nothing. I cut mine into 14 in round. Cover's more then the 10in hole. ;D
http://www.shad-rapp.com/Ice%20Fish%20Baby.mp3 
Past President Okauchee Fishing Club

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.