Author Topic: Kingston, Ontario, Back Lakes  (Read 226881 times)

Offline leviathan_slayer

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Kingston, Ontario, Back Lakes
« Reply #1110 on: Jan 24, 2022, 08:02 PM »
Duffer500

Had Eskimo augers before i bought my Jiffy propane Pro4. I enjoyed the Eskimo augers but had similar problem with each one. Depending on the model can usually be solved by:

- adjusting the jet screw on the auger
- changing spark plug if needed
- replace air filter if needed
- add some Seafoam and run for 5 minutes in idle - let sit for an hour and start again
- clean carb

One or several of these steps always worked for me in the past.

As a last resort there is a fellow in Verona who does magic with all types of small engines for really reasonable prices. I can give you his coordinates if needed

Hope this helps

Don
a.k.a. Leviathan_slayer
Don a.k.a. Leviathan_slayer

Offline leviathan_slayer

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #1111 on: Jan 25, 2022, 09:12 AM »
Hello all,

I had a request from Caygeon for some maps for 2nd Depot Lake and 5th Depot Lake. I do not have anything right now for 2nd Depot but hope to have one completed this Spring.

As for 5th Depot Lake, here is what I have right now that should be helpful.

Be smart, be safe and tight lines to all!

Don
a.k.a. leviathan_slayer

Offline stukkie

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #1112 on: Jan 25, 2022, 01:32 PM »
We ended up on Cranberry (less traffic) and was also surprised to see slush under the snow in places.Guess the weight forced water up where ever it could.As for fishing we had multiple tipups but only a couple of flag that had the shiner robbed and I jigged for hrs trying different spoons for pike. Missed three, may have been bass but they didn't show there faces. 
  Stay Safe

Offline GD Mosey

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #1113 on: Jan 26, 2022, 05:11 AM »
I'm quite the novice and not really good at reading the ice. How is there so much water on top of 12"+ of ice? I cleared a spot and made snow walls, but when I drilled holes, they all flooded. Did I do it wrong? Or was it just a bad day/spot? You All are so helpful. I've been reading backwards. So much knowledge in these pages. Thanks in advance.

Offline caygeon

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #1114 on: Jan 26, 2022, 11:11 AM »
It's the weight of the snow.  water will come up through the ice through pressure cracks and your auger holes.  You're not doing it wrong, although more time on the treadmill will probably be good for most of us!  The ice will settle eventually and this will be less a problem.  I've seen guys use cattle mats or workout mats on top of the snow to help keep the feet dry. 

Offline stukkie

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #1115 on: Jan 27, 2022, 03:17 PM »
Just curious if any one has hunted for splake in our area, not looking for your spots just wondering about walking conditions on the few lakes I know they exist sometimes. Thanks
    Stay Safe

Offline stukkie

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #1116 on: Jan 27, 2022, 03:37 PM »
Went to a local pike lake today with a buddy and we waited till mid-morning hoping the wind would die down NOT!! Access is good and walking ok with many ruts from atv/sleds, no one else was as silly as we where but we tried to hide behind a hut on the ice, Thanks, but only lasted 3hrs with one 6" perch to show for. Had to clean the tipup holes every 10 mins, got sick of that. Weather will get better next week but will return this weekend cause it's better to try and complain than not. lol
  Stay Safe                                                                                                   

Offline GD Mosey

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #1117 on: Jan 29, 2022, 06:33 PM »
Made it on the board today. A bait of a perch but still counts. Pike are lively on Varty Lake. Ice is solid (and no more water gushing up lol thx)

Offline leviathan_slayer

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #1118 on: Jan 30, 2022, 11:59 AM »
Good day to all,

Went scouting walleye spots around the BofQ area yesterday. Lots of "villages" around different areas: off Beach Drive near Shannonville, off the Deseronto boat ramps, off of Huff's Lane on Long Reach, and off the boat ramp at Sherman's Point in Hay Bay. Atv and SxS heading out on the 12" plus ice. Snow cover on ice is not too bad.

May have to put ice gear away for a few weeks as I am suppose to go in for a knee replacement sometime this week - if not, I will be fishing again next weekend.

Tight lines to all

Don
a.k.a. leviathan_slayer

Offline stukkie

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #1119 on: Feb 02, 2022, 03:14 PM »
Went back to the pike lake on Sunday and Tuesday, there where several popups set up from the end of the road access and the rinks by the parking area had lots of kids playing hockey and little ones skating, nice to see. We actually caught a medium pike and some mudcats on both days. Not nearly as productive as last year . ???
 Stay Safe

Offline leviathan_slayer

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #1120 on: Feb 03, 2022, 03:43 PM »
Where is the best public access to Pike Lake?

Offline stukkie

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #1121 on: Feb 05, 2022, 05:15 PM »
There are two access point
1- bottom of the hill through the gate
2- end of the road snow plow turn around
3- surprise it's Collins Lake which I've heard is fished out as per my comment earlier :(

Offline stukkie

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #1122 on: Feb 11, 2022, 02:11 PM »
I've been out 4-5 times fishing three local lake with friends and we have only caught 1 pike and several small perch. We did have several drops on tipups so is Feb a slow month, i can't recall from past years. According to the fish calendar I believe next Tues, Weds and Thurs are best so will hope to try then. Anyone noticed this. :unsure:
  Stay Safe

Offline leviathan_slayer

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #1123 on: Feb 11, 2022, 02:33 PM »
Hey stukkie,

February can usually be a slower month but it just takes a little for patience and a few more techniques. We are finding the fish are hanging on the bottom more and slower presentations are working better. Also find that fishing smaller baits tipped with fish heads working well.

Tight lines!

Don

Offline leviathan_slayer

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #1124 on: Feb 11, 2022, 02:39 PM »
Went a little outside our normal fishing zone to the Bay of Quinte just off the Deseronto public launch. Fished in 17 FOW and found some good sized perch. As well used my Deeper Sonar and worked well even to the point of capturing the bite on the screen.

Heading back to BofQ on Sunday and going to fish Long Reach off of Huff's Lane.

Tight Lines to all!

Don

Offline stukkie

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #1125 on: Feb 11, 2022, 02:56 PM »
Thanks Don will keep that in mind I usually jig quite aggressive till the fish shows on the flasher. :bow:
  Stay Safe

Offline leviathan_slayer

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #1126 on: Feb 13, 2022, 12:31 PM »
My son went to Long Reach on BofQ this morning. Walleye have been few and far between but the perch are putting on the weight. Everything is deep between 20 and 30 FOW.

Tight lines to all!

Don
a.k.a. leviathan_slayer

Offline GD Mosey

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #1127 on: Feb 13, 2022, 06:53 PM »
I've been hitting Varty Lake hard. Pretty much since last spring. It's just the most convenient, as my boss lives off the shore. I've had no luck. Pretty much embarrassing pulls. I'm targeting Pike and/or Perch as the day allows. Am I just doing it wrong or am I in a rougher lake? I was thinking of going to Vernoa next weekend as I've read reliable success there. I just don't know if I really am bad at this, or if I've just hung around a poor lake too long?

Offline leviathan_slayer

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #1128 on: Feb 13, 2022, 07:26 PM »
Hey GD Mosey,

Saw your post about Varty Lake. It can be a challenging lake to fish in the winter as it is a shallow lake at best of times. You find Verona more productive if you hit the right spots. The south end is productive but can be quite busy. Mid-lake holds some bigger fish id you hit one of the 2 shoals. The north end can be productive as well and is less fished.i believe your angling skills are not in question, just the lake you are fishing.

Tight lines and be safe!

Don
a.k.a. leviathan_slayer

Offline GD Mosey

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #1129 on: Feb 14, 2022, 06:05 PM »
Thanks Don. The motivation is well appreciated. Is it bad that, only makes me want to try harder haha? Maybe one more go on Varty before Verona. Does anyone know of any events held for Family Day weekend? It's a free weekend to fish as I understand.

Offline Fenix

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #1130 on: Feb 18, 2022, 04:08 PM »
Hey everyone,

It's been awhile since I've hit Dog lake on the hard water. I'm hoping to take the kids and another family out on Monday (Family Day) and wondering if access from Hogan's lane (off Burnt Hills Road)at the trailer park beach is still allowed?

Any info on access would be much appreciated as I'd love to get the kids on some pan fish.TIA!

Cheers!
Andrew

Offline stukkie

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #1131 on: Feb 19, 2022, 03:29 PM »
Andrew, it's been a while since accessing there but Battersea is always an option, I was there a week ago and all i caught was a few perch. There was a video posted from 2021 on You Tube catching splake/pike and i'm sure it's just outside the bay in front of Hogan's. :unsure:
    Stay Safe

Offline Fenix

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #1132 on: Feb 20, 2022, 11:42 AM »
Hey Stukkle,

Good to know, thank you. I'll give it a go and if it doesn't work out I'll check for access in Battersea.

Thank you!

Offline stukkie

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #1133 on: Feb 20, 2022, 02:07 PM »
Hope the wind dies down! Went with family/friends this morning to Cranberry and we lasted 1.25 hrs, crazy winds. I'm sure lots of people hope to get out tomorrow and most local places will be busy. Went to the pike lake on Tues for a midday fish and we where surprised to catch 3 nice pike to take home as I need practise in cleaning them and one went back to grow, two 4# and two 2# bass (guess) which didn't see daylight long and one small crappy. Was hope for more crappy but that didn't happen.I rarely catch bass threw the ice and obviously don't target them, I know there is a season in the US not sure why not here? :(
  Stay Safe

Offline Fenix

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #1134 on: Feb 21, 2022, 05:41 AM »
Hey Stukkie,

Yah that wind was brutal yesterday - I stayed home because of it.

Should be nice today, and you're right, will be busy.

Nice catch! Good luck out there today.

Cheers,
Andrew

Offline leviathan_slayer

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #1135 on: Feb 23, 2022, 01:45 PM »
Good day to all,

Went out to Verona Lake on Monday, as Sunday was a regular hurricane. Ice was a good 15-16" thick right across the lake on the north end. Fishing was a little slow but some perch and pike were around. Talking to people on the lake and it has been slow for everyone lately. Not sure whether it is the weather or February lock-jaw, but there is no question the bite has been slow. Having said that, all the fish we marked and caught have been in 15 - 20 FOW and hugging the bottom. Going to go after some walleye this coming weekend at a few different spots.

Hope with the few remaining weeks of hardwater fishing left you enjoy tight lines!

Don
a.k.a. leviathan_slayer

Offline Anglerholic

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #1136 on: Feb 25, 2022, 11:24 AM »
I might check out Wolfe tomorrow for the first time. Maybe get into a walleye but preferably my first burbot. I've never targeted burbot so if anyone has any tips on depth/bait I would appreciate it!

Offline leviathan_slayer

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #1137 on: Feb 25, 2022, 11:38 AM »
Hey Anglerholic,

Good luck on Wolfe Lake. Some good walleye get pulled in there every year. However, had not heard much about this year.

As for burbot, the 20-30 FOW range is good this time of year. Spawning season for them is right now. If you can find a gravelly bottom you might have some luck. They stick to bottom so keep your bait as low as possible. Since they have a very refined sense of smell dead beats are just as likely to produce a strike as a live one would. Have always had luck this time of year on Second and Third Depot Lakes for these denizens of the deep. Snow cover on the ice helps as well -  as it keeps it a little darker under the ice. Sunset is a great time for active burbot under the ice.

Hope this info helps.

Tight lines!

Don
a.k.a. leviathan_slayer

Offline leviathan_slayer

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #1138 on: Feb 25, 2022, 11:49 AM »
Well was able to convince my wife that my son and I could start helping to save the environment by investing in an electric auger. Sooooo, headed to Cabelas in Ottawa yesterday and bought an Ion G2 8” auger. It is amazing. Half the weight of my Jiffy Pro 4 propane auger, extremely quiet, and fast. The blades are some of the sharpest I have ever seen. Truly it is a slick piece of machinery. Now it is time to sell my propane auger!

Tight lines to all!

Don
a.k.a. leviathan_slayer

Offline Anglerholic

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #1139 on: Feb 25, 2022, 01:22 PM »
Thanks for the tips Don!
I also purchased an Ion this year and it is awesome.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.