Author Topic: Catching my own bait in Jersey  (Read 2273 times)

Offline Gorilla

• Team IceShanty Regular
Catching my own bait in Jersey
« on: Jan 28, 2022, 01:59 PM »
Living in Central Jersey there are not a ton of options to get shiners for me, I do suck it up and take the 30 minute drive to Moulders in Englishtown (Nice guys and good bait prices so not the end of the world)

I did pick myself up a bait trap last year and had some success in the spring by using some dog food and setting up in streams or spillways.  I have been trying that same system the past 3 weeks and have yet to pull anything up.   

Any hints you bait masters might have for me?

Do Not underestimate the staggering drawing power of the Garden State

Offline delawareriver

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Catching my own bait in Jersey
« Reply #1 on: Jan 28, 2022, 02:45 PM »
Living in Central Jersey there are not a ton of options to get shiners for me, I do suck it up and take the 30 minute drive to Moulders in Englishtown (Nice guys and good bait prices so not the end of the world)

I did pick myself up a bait trap last year and had some success in the spring by using some dog food and setting up in streams or spillways.  I have been trying that same system the past 3 weeks and have yet to pull anything up.   

Any hints you bait masters might have for me?
yes catch bait in the fall and keep them for the winter.  That's by far the easiest compared to trying to catch in the winter. You wanna find the deepest slowest moving hole which typically is ice covered by this time of year

Offline ScalyKnuckles

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Jan 28, 2022, 07:54 PM »
It's tough to catch bait this time of year. Where in central jersey are you? I'm in middlesex and house my own baits for winter...

Offline GlennSr.

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Jan 31, 2022, 11:01 AM »
It’s so much bother to catch the bait that I gave that up years ago. I used to  net them in a drop net with a big opening in the ice but now I have a job and I buy my bait. The people at Molders are friendly so say hello and drop a few bucks.

Offline JigAwhopper

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • addicted to ICE
« Reply #4 on: Feb 04, 2022, 08:25 AM »
Creek chub are active year round.  I got a small stream running through my property, they're active after dark in 1 ft of water.  Find a 2/3 ft deep hole and go with a spot light  after dark to verify bait location,  then set up couple traps with a chunk of bread or whatever.  I average 3-4 chub per trap per night, so more is better.  good luck

Offline Gorilla

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Feb 08, 2022, 09:39 AM »
Creek chub are active year round.  I got a small stream running through my property, they're active after dark in 1 ft of water.  Find a 2/3 ft deep hole and go with a spot light  after dark to verify bait location,  then set up couple traps with a chunk of bread or whatever.  I average 3-4 chub per trap per night, so more is better.  good luck

I should have checked this the other day!!    I do have a spot that fits this bill, but think local ice is in trouble before I can get out to fish it.

Do Not underestimate the staggering drawing power of the Garden State

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.