Author Topic: Crappie at night  (Read 2300 times)

Offline Uppervalley Kid

• Team IceShanty Addict
Crappie at night
« on: Jan 27, 2022, 09:35 AM »
Long story short, my time is more limited than ever this year. Cashed out alot of my "earned time" during hunting season, leaving the wife at home with an infant and a toddler most weekends. Between family obligations and work, Im thinking about hitting up my crappie spots at night when the kiddos are asleep. Do tactics change from early morning/evening fishing? Anything I should do differently?
....¸><((((º>
.··´¯`·.¸.·><((((º>
·.¸.·´¯`·...¸.·><((((º>

Offline AQUAASSASSIN

• Team IceShantyholic
Re: Crappie at night
« Reply #1 on: Jan 27, 2022, 10:00 AM »
I find them even shallower, 6 ft or less in many cases. Glow jigs are key
You count your years by the Winters.

It’s not being Cocky if you can back it up.

Offline 800stealth

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Jan 27, 2022, 10:03 AM »
It's been my experience that dark is dark, 600 in the evening or 100 in the morning patterns hold with exception of well lit full or close to full moons. Sometimes the strong moon can move them more to a day pattern with clear ice and no snow cover...
"May your lines be tight and never be tangled" (old Frankish Proverb)  Guinea 2021

Offline 800stealth

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Jan 27, 2022, 10:06 AM »

I'll 2nd that... Glow jigs make a big difference. I usually start with a PK predator in red dot glow, if they don't dig that I move to a tungsten so I can bait it.
"May your lines be tight and never be tangled" (old Frankish Proverb)  Guinea 2021

Offline AQUAASSASSIN

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #4 on: Jan 27, 2022, 10:13 AM »
I'll 2nd that... Glow jigs make a big difference. I usually start with a PK predator in red dot glow, if they don't dig that I move to a tungsten so I can bait it.

I pitch the identical Sale. It’s usually a bread winner

Offline Stump17

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Jan 27, 2022, 10:54 AM »
Glow jigs and a green fish light have been killer for me at night.

Offline THEGOAT

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Jan 27, 2022, 11:33 AM »

Me too at times - do you think the majority of them move shallow at night say from a deeper near by basin? 

Offline AQUAASSASSIN

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #7 on: Jan 27, 2022, 11:37 AM »
Me too at times - do you think the majority of them move shallow at night say from a deeper near by basin?

I do. All my home waters that’s exactly what they do

Offline fishermantim

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Jan 27, 2022, 11:43 AM »
You could use submersible lights if you want.

I have a nice LED set up with 50' of cable that lights up a decent area around the hole.

During my early attempts I would set up a bunch of those 4" LED lights (the ones you can get in packs of 5-10)
I was standing them on end, facing down thru the semi-clear ice and fishing around the spread.

I was able to get a number of sunfish.

And before anyone chimes in about the legality of using lights to fish at night, I had checked a few years back and printed the email reply from the NH fish & game dept. stating that they are OK to use. (they are illegal if you are using them to "spot" fish to spear/shoot with an arrow.)

SO....that's an added option.
"I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy" - the Existential Blues

I am a legend in my own mind!

Offline AQUAASSASSIN

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #9 on: Jan 27, 2022, 11:44 AM »
I do remember that confirmation

Offline Uppervalley Kid

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #10 on: Jan 27, 2022, 11:45 AM »
Thank you for the tips these are very helpful. I am going to fish some 4-8 ft drop offs that will hopefully yield some results.
....¸><((((º>
.··´¯`·.¸.·><((((º>
·.¸.·´¯`·...¸.·><((((º>

Offline PoolGuy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Hello my name is Bill and I'm an ice fisherman !!
« Reply #11 on: Jan 27, 2022, 04:09 PM »

X3 on the PK Predator an switch to tungsten…
I just want to go ice fishing and ignore my adult problems

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #12 on: Jan 27, 2022, 04:26 PM »

Yes this but also deep.  If I want a big stack of night time meats its green light on the drop of the flat in 12-15fow.  Maybe its just me but I cant get a pile of them fired up shallow like I can a bit deeper.  That said theres nights where they are absent from that deep water entirely.

Offline THEGOAT

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #13 on: Jan 27, 2022, 07:35 PM »

Same here - i find they take a bit to feed again too after the late afternoon - sunset feeding window. My favorite fish to chase under the ice!

Offline THE JIGGER

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Member of the GODS (Grumpy Old DudeS)
« Reply #14 on: Jan 29, 2022, 12:32 AM »
Glo jig is key. I tip it with a waxie or piece of worm. I just bring my Colman lantern. I've been getting them around 13 to 15ft. If you don't have a glo jig use the rubber glo waxies. They work fine.
Check my last two posts
MA

Offline SALMONEMIA

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Jan 30, 2022, 01:51 PM »
I just bought a green light but the clips are beefy like big alligator clips.  How do you attach to the spade terminal on a fish finder battery? Any advice or will they just clip on? Not much room to grab from what I see but havent tried it  yet.
Salmonemia

Offline DConICE

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #16 on: Jan 30, 2022, 04:49 PM »
I have a battery tester and charger for work that has larger clips and they will grab the spade (F1 or F2) terminals on a 6V or 12V finder type battery, but it doesn't take much to knock them off.  I would consider changing the clips to "spade" connectors or it you plan on using the light with other batteries I would make some kind of a pigtails with a spade connector to a small board with a couple of bolts (+ and -) that you could then attach the clips too.

Just a thought

Offline SALMONEMIA

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #17 on: Jan 30, 2022, 07:33 PM »
I have a battery tester and charger for work that has larger clips and they will grab the spade (F1 or F2) terminals on a 6V or 12V finder type battery, but it doesn't take much to knock them off.  I would consider changing the clips to "spade" connectors or it you plan on using the light with other batteries I would make some kind of a pigtails with a spade connector to a small board with a couple of bolts (+ and -) that you could then attach the clips too.

Just a thought
Thanks I just bought some spade terminals and some heat shrink tubing.  I'll post pics when it's done.  I already have a battery so I'll modify for my needs.
Salmonemia

Offline raindaddy35

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #18 on: Jan 30, 2022, 10:54 PM »
If it is legal, I would get yourself a crappie light.  I bought one years ago.  Basically, it is the old style round headlight built into a formed piece of Styrofoam.  It has cables coming out of it and a clip on each wire.  You just have to attach the clips to a standard flasher battery.  I would drill two holes side by side, for my rods.  Then I would drill a third hole back and in-between the two holes for my graph.  And a separate hole behind the graph hole for the crappie light.  Just sit the light down onto the hole and turn it on.  The light attracts the plankton, which attracts minnow and then the specks!  I use mine in water up to 30 foot.  The beam of light should go down about 10 foot or more!  Good luck.

Snitch what brand you running?
Man
I
Love
Fishing

Offline DrummerManDrew

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #19 on: Jan 31, 2022, 07:06 AM »
And before anyone chimes in about the legality of using lights to fish at night, I had checked a few years back and printed the email reply from the NH fish & game dept. stating that they are OK to use. (they are illegal if you are using them to "spot" fish to spear/shoot with an arrow.)

This is a fact and a lot of people get confused when they consider this. The term jacklighting got everyone mixed up.  From the just of what I understood the Narrative to be, a light shining down through the ice is ok, but a light that’s actually lowered down below the ice is where things get confusing.

Be well and DO Good Work!

Offline Scranton Joe

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #20 on: Feb 01, 2022, 08:03 AM »
If you can find brush piles and structure, you can leave the lights at home.

Offline THE JIGGER

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Member of the GODS (Grumpy Old DudeS)
« Reply #21 on: Feb 01, 2022, 11:45 AM »
I use glo jigs at night. Is that considered using a light below the water surface?
MA

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #22 on: Feb 02, 2022, 09:41 AM »
I just bought a green light but the clips are beefy like big alligator clips.  How do you attach to the spade terminal on a fish finder battery? Any advice or will they just clip on? Not much room to grab from what I see but havent tried it  yet.

Seperate battery for this guy.  Have to use clips cause I run shanty lights and green lights off the same battery.

Offline river_scum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • hook n cook
« Reply #23 on: Feb 02, 2022, 11:40 AM »

i used little chunks of copper wire. smash the ends and bend in L shape.  i then just stuck them in under plastic on connectors.  of course, you could just get the double end connectors and do it rt.  ;D
real fishermen don't ask "where you catch those"

OANN the real story

- member here since -2003- IN.

Offline swnoel

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #24 on: Feb 02, 2022, 03:19 PM »
This is a fact and a lot of people get confused when they consider this. The term jacklighting got everyone mixed up.  From the just of what I understood the Narrative to be, a light shining down through the ice is ok, but a light that’s actually lowered down below the ice is where things get confusing.

The law seems pretty specific to me. The light would have to be used for killing or stunning fish. The green light in the water doesn't kill or stun fish.

• Except as otherwise specifically permitted, it is
unlawful to use or have in possession poisons,
explosives, net, set line, fishing otter, trawl,
grapple, spear, jack, jack light, or electrical or
other device for killing or stunning fish.

Offline wally

• IceShanty Rookie
  • If I'm not killing it I'm catching it!
« Reply #25 on: Feb 02, 2022, 04:45 PM »
Gonna give it a whirl tonight... Any one else headed out..

Offline wally

• IceShanty Rookie
  • If I'm not killing it I'm catching it!
« Reply #26 on: Feb 02, 2022, 04:49 PM »
Can you provide a link to where I can read the regulation? I can't seem to find it.. Thanks..

The law seems pretty specific to me. The light would have to be used for killing or stunning fish. The green light in the water doesn't kill or stun fish.

• Except as otherwise specifically permitted, it is
unlawful to use or have in possession poisons,
explosives, net, set line, fishing otter, trawl,
grapple, spear, jack, jack light, or electrical or
other device for killing or stunning fish.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.