Author Topic: Cold night on the lake!!!  (Read 587 times)

Offline Buckeye Fan

• IceShanty Rookie
Cold night on the lake!!!
« on: Jan 04, 2010, 06:04 AM »
I fished Saturday night in my Frabill Trekker II I got it the end of season last year from the Bargain Cave only $110 for it so it was a good deal.  Below zero and a little wind made for a tough time in the shelter.  I could not keep the wind from getting around the base and the top and sides were sweating a lot even with the vents open. I have the big Mr. buddy heater and the low or medium setting was not warm enough and the high setting was too much heat which caused the shack to sweat even more so I fired up the Coleman lantern and set it on the ice next to the Buddy which was set in medium heat kinda crazy it seems. Not as young as I used to be and like a little more comfort (my head's still  in party mode but my body lags behind a bit these days lol.)  Anyway I am thinking about an insulated shack a Clam or Otter.  Can I get some thoughts from the guys with one of these thermal shack?

Thanks

Go Buckeyes
PS They made me happy this year in the Rose Bowl!!

FISHFORPIKE

Re: Cold night on the lake!!!
« Reply #1 on: Jan 04, 2010, 06:18 AM »
I fished Saturday night in my Frabill Trekker II I got it the end of season last year from the Bargain Cave only $110 for it so it was a good deal.  Below zero and a little wind made for a tough time in the shelter.  I could not keep the wind from getting around the base and the top and sides were sweating a lot even with the vents open. I have the big Mr. buddy heater and the low or medium setting was not warm enough and the high setting was too much heat which caused the shack to sweat even more so I fired up the Coleman lantern and set it on the ice next to the Buddy which was set in medium heat kinda crazy it seems. Not as young as I used to be and like a little more comfort (my head's still  in party mode but my body lags behind a bit these days lol.)  Anyway I am thinking about an insulated shack a Clam or Otter.  Can I get some thoughts from the guys with one of these thermal shack?

Thanks

Go Buckeyes
PS They made me happy this year in the Rose Bowl!!

Hi Buckeye.
I have one of last year's model Frabil R2-TEC 300 (now R2-TEC 7080).  It is a great shelter.  Never have condensation, not even at -0 temps.  I use the regular Buddy Heater (single tank/burner) and it does well on low most of the time.  Another "plus" is not fabric flapping in the wind.
I know they are pricey but I feel the comfort is worth the $.
http://myslu.stlawu.edu/~ptri/images/icefishing/09-10-season/30-DEC/Shanty.jpg

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.