Author Topic: Under Armour  (Read 13899 times)

Offline livin4ice

• IceShanty Rookie
Under Armour
« on: Feb 24, 2004, 08:12 PM »
I recently purchased a set of winter 'Under Armour'.  When I tried it on I almost threw it away.  It looks like a pair of tights.  However, I tried it out. WOW, this stuff is awesome! You still have to wear layers but not as many and this stuff really holds in the warmth. The best part is that you can still move around and not feel like you are wearing everything in the closet.  Not sure exactly what it is made of.  It is kind of like spandex mixed with neoprene. Just thought I would pass it along.

Knife2sharp

Re: Under Armor
« Reply #1 on: Feb 26, 2004, 02:23 PM »
The stuff is awesome for hunting.  I was actually thinking of trying to start a hunting line.  You know hunters won't buy it unless it comes in camo, even if it is under wear. 

Offline Mongo

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Mar 04, 2004, 06:08 PM »
I added the under aromor this year under my union suit and the combination of these two have kept me warm all winter.

Offline kingfshr16

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #3 on: Mar 05, 2004, 07:17 PM »
I never wore it till last year...now I wont go ice fishing or hunting with out it...great stuff. I stay nice and warm and dry all day long. ;D
Jason

P Gottshall

« Reply #4 on: Dec 10, 2004, 02:18 PM »
Is this the same "Under Armor" as Bass Pro sells?  - $50 for leggings & turtleneck?

Paul

Offline Bean

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Dec 10, 2004, 03:21 PM »
Is this the same "Under Armor" as Bass Pro sells?  - $50 for leggings & turtleneck?

Paul
Yes, Numerous retailers sell it. It is expensive, but nice.
Ken                                          

Offline Penguin

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice fishermen walk on water!
« Reply #6 on: Dec 19, 2004, 02:26 PM »
I have a buddy who swears by it. He sweats more than anyone I've fished with, and he says it just wicks it away, he stays dry walking out on the ice. I'm getting pretty close to plucking down the C-note for a set.

Offline Mongo

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Dec 19, 2004, 05:49 PM »
Penguin, I were the under armour under my hockey equipment and it realy does work well. I started wearing it as a base layer when ice fishing and sicne I did I have not been cold once. I wear the under armour, union suit, jeans and bibs and I am fine.

fish_slayer

« Reply #8 on: Dec 20, 2004, 12:55 AM »
Knife2sharp, I had the same idea, and more ideas
fish_slayer

Offline oldstuff

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Dec 21, 2004, 04:12 PM »
? on Under Armor:
Is it the same as polypro or capilene? Both of these do a good job of wicking moisture and I have been wearing them for years, but the polypro is bad about retaining odors so even if you washed the stuff you still smelled like a dead fish :o. Capilene came along and was a step up as far as that goes, but I haven't tried the UA.  Read an article about the inventor and his business recently but it didn't go into a lot of detail other than every pro sports player is promoting the heck out of it.

Thanks

Offline Penguin

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Dec 22, 2004, 09:54 PM »
Mongo, I think I'm convinced. I wear fleece pants and shirt, sweatshirt, bibs, and parka and I'm good. I've asked Santa for Gander Mountain gift cards. That should be my ticket!

Offline Gillgrabber

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #11 on: Dec 27, 2004, 01:04 PM »
I liked what I read about "under armour" but was still skeptical.  After freezing my butt off, I decided to break down and spend $100 for a pair.  I was impressed.  I was warm despite the fact that I was wearing less than I had the day before!  A buddy of mine bought a pair of polypropelene/wool underwear from a different manufacturer and claimed it worked well as well.  Maybe I'll try that also.
Proud NRA Life Member
Nothing like spending time in the outdoors with Family & Friends.

Offline TackleTester

• IceShanty Rookie
  • sorry i'm late, fishing is more important
« Reply #12 on: Dec 27, 2004, 09:45 PM »
Under Armour is just awesome.  I got a pair and now that I have one pair, 'd pay $100 for another one if I had to.

Catch em up
                   Brian
CEO Tackle Testers International

Offline Mugz

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Dec 28, 2004, 06:49 AM »
I had a set in my hand the other day.....until I noticed the price..... :o :o
I'm not a cheap skate but $100 for for underwear???? Just could not jusify spending the cake.
"You can't be a real country unless you have a beer and an airline - it helps if you have some kind of a football team, or some nuclear weapons, but at the very least you need a beer."
-Frank Zappa

Offline tarbot

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Dec 28, 2004, 08:01 AM »
I fish with a buddy that uses the Under Armour and he swears by it.  I have the 4 way stretch fleece union suit that works great as well.  It's not cheap, I paid $119 for it but it is money well spent!

Offline Mongo

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #15 on: Dec 28, 2004, 11:34 AM »
Mugz, you should at least try the under armour shirt as a base layer. I started wearing one last year and it made a noticable difference. I kicked the pants to the curb seeing they do not have a fly opening in them and after a few wobbly pops it can be a real problem.

Offline billditrite

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • R.I.P. Bobberstop 6-14-1944 ~ 7-21-2010
« Reply #16 on: Dec 28, 2004, 12:33 PM »
I kicked the pants to the curb seeing they do not have a fly opening in them and after a few wobbly pops it can be a real problem.
LMAO mongo they're not that good at wicking way moisture LOL this is a great thread i am really thinking about buying some . i work outside eveyday

Offline Mongo

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #17 on: Dec 28, 2004, 02:06 PM »
I even picked up the little skull cap that I wear under my helemt when playing hockey and it works great, I noticed that they have the cold weather gloves but have yet to try them. All I know is since I have been wearing them I have been more confortable out on the ice. I am very happy with them except for the missing fly opening.

Offline USMC130FE

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • 2008 NAIFC Contestant
« Reply #18 on: Dec 28, 2004, 04:06 PM »
This stuff is awesome!!  Expensive.....yes, but definately still worth it.  We wore the "Heat Gear" style in the desert and what a difference it really makes.  The "Cold Gear" is exceptional at retaining heat as long as it isn't exposed to the wind.  Layering is still a must but as stated earlier, it doesn't require a closet full of clothes to stay warm, which helps when dealing with the "shrinkage problem" and 3 inches of clothing  :o ::) :'(

Tight Lines and many Flag's
Steve
http://www.bluecrayfish.com/icefishpics/albums/userpics/2-18-08_001c.jpg

Sure the Marines are a Department of the Navy, We're the MENS DEPERTMENT!!!!

Offline billditrite

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • R.I.P. Bobberstop 6-14-1944 ~ 7-21-2010
« Reply #19 on: Dec 28, 2004, 08:19 PM »
 :roflmao: :roflmao:

Offline jtillman

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #20 on: Dec 29, 2004, 12:41 PM »
Got a pair of the pants for christmas, trying them out for the first time this afternoon...hope they work as well as everyone says they do.

Offline Mongo

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #21 on: Dec 29, 2004, 01:36 PM »
They are great pants and I think you will be happy but take my word for it, do not have a few wobly pops as these pants do not have the fly opening.

Offline Penguin

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #22 on: Dec 29, 2004, 09:02 PM »
I used one of my Gander Mountain gift cards yesterday to get a set, wouldn't have plunked down the $100 on my own. Tried it out right away. It seemed more comfortable than my wool/polypro blend, and dried out faster in the shanty after walking out on the ice. Whether it was warmer, I couldn't really make that judgment yet. I hope to get a chance to find out if we ever get some good cold weather here in CNY. I usually wear a large, and that's what I got in the shirt, but I got XL in the pants. Large felt too short and really tight.

Offline jtillman

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #23 on: Dec 30, 2004, 09:37 AM »
Well the worked like a charm last night. It was only around 20, which is not very cold here in Minnesota, but the pants were very comfortable and I didn't get cold at all...but the true test will be when I need them on a day when it's minus 20.

Offline livin4ice

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #24 on: Jan 05, 2005, 09:59 PM »
As far as Oldstuffs question about retaining odor I have never had a problem with them.  I wear them under my body armor (Kevlar vest) at work on a regular basis.  If sweat is going to be trapped anywhere it would be there but they have never retained any odor.

Offline FullTmeDad

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Back in Michigan!
« Reply #25 on: Jan 10, 2005, 11:34 AM »
I went swimming last January (unintentionally) I wear wool/polypro underwear and socks and a Mustang floatation coat. Soaking wet and at least 25 below with the wind and I never even got a chill, (other than the first shock) I paid less than $30 for that set and I now have several. They will not only keep you comfortable, but can save your life. The Under Armor is nice but if you can't afford them get the wool/polypro's and they're close. I found mine at the Meijers store here.
FTD

Offline JigEm

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Charter Boat Captain
« Reply #26 on: Jan 19, 2005, 07:26 AM »
I had a set in my hand the other day.....until I noticed the price..... :o :o
I'm not a cheap skate but $100 for for underwear???? Just could not jusify spending the cake.

If you try it you will buy a 2nd set.  This stuff is the best thing I have bought for fishing/hunting in the past 2 years.  Worth every penny.
Full Strike Anglers
USCG 50 Ton Master

Basshuntah

« Reply #27 on: Feb 23, 2005, 02:24 PM »
yah bra this stuff rocks, i love not feeling like I have ten layers on, the mobility is unbeatable exspecially in a small shanty. ;D

Offline TDibiasio

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #28 on: Nov 23, 2005, 10:50 AM »
Just bought the under armor cold gear mock turtle neck and leggings, however after trying on the shirt I was very uncomfortable as it was to constricting around my arms.  I got the right size, however I think that this is how they are supose to fit.  My question is has anyone used the Under Armor Loose gear in the cold.  I am looking for a solid base layer suggestion and I am thinking that I may go with the loose gear top and cold gear leggins, or would I be better off going with a polypro/wool top.

Offline Icenutter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #29 on: Nov 23, 2005, 11:58 AM »
The tops take a while to get used to.  They will fit very tight.  You can try and go to the next size and see how that fits.  The Cold weather gear has to fit tight or it will not work.  I am a true believer in this stuff.  I first said to myself how is this going to keep me warm, but they really do work. 
Bring on the ice!!!!!!!  <br />      

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.