The ice fishing PA boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: lookin for auger blades  (Read 1249 times)

Offline Grub

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Hardwater Nut!
lookin for auger blades
« on: Jan 27, 2008, 08:42 AM »
Can't find auger blades any where around
                                                         pittsburgh.Who knows where I can find 8" strikemaster blades today!!!!Help, wanna fish today!
                                                                                                  THANKS

Offline Bluefox

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Jiggin' Fool
Re: lookin for auger blades
« Reply #1 on: Jan 27, 2008, 08:51 AM »
The gander mountain in Greensburg had them the other day. Maybe call to make sure, if your willing to make the drive.

Offline Grub

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #2 on: Jan 27, 2008, 09:33 AM »
The gander mountain in Greensburg had them the other day. Maybe call to make sure, if your willing to make the drive.
Got ice around Greensburg?

Offline Bluefox

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Jiggin' Fool
« Reply #3 on: Jan 27, 2008, 12:03 PM »
Sure do. Guys are fishing Twin Lakes, which is only 2 miles from the store.

Offline ComplexSimon

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Looking for the clear and solid stuff...
« Reply #4 on: Jan 27, 2008, 12:43 PM »
Bunch of Trader Horn's north of the city are carrying strikemater blades.  I'm not sure what sizes they have in stock currently, but if you are coming north to fish you might call the two on Rte 8 or the one on Rte 422.  Just and FYI Trader Horn closes at 5pm or 6pm on Sundays.

I'd also wager that the Gander Mtn in Robinson Township has them.  They had the best local ice fishing section that I've found in the Pittsburgh Area (excluding driving to Wheeling WV of course).

Each frozen wasteland holds a gem, the successful ice angler is 95% patient & 5% crazy!

Offline jayswimmer09

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • flag!!! dont u love that word?
« Reply #5 on: Jan 27, 2008, 12:48 PM »
sportsmans warehouse is most likely still carying them

Offline Grub

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #6 on: Jan 27, 2008, 01:51 PM »
Thanks guys I found some at gander mt. robinson.

Offline ComplexSimon

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Jan 28, 2008, 08:22 AM »
I'm glad you found replacement blades Grub. 

I'd just like to mention quickly that if you have the time to actually wait for shipping you can order replacement blades from fishUSA.com at really reasonable prices.  I tried to use a hand sharpener on my auger blades the other day [Saturday] (it was actually designed to sharpen auger blades and marketed as such), and it completely destroyed my edges.  I'm not sure how I managed to cut the 7 holes I needed for Sunday night (took me like 4x the effort), but anyhow I ordered them today and they ship in 3 to 5 business days.  Splitting shipping costs on a few items that I needed in addition to the blades  ;) they were down right cheap.  Just and FYI...

Each frozen wasteland holds a gem, the successful ice angler is 95% patient & 5% crazy!

Offline Ski Hunter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Gut eyes? =)
« Reply #8 on: Jan 28, 2008, 09:57 AM »
I'm glad you found replacement blades Grub. 

I'd just like to mention quickly that if you have the time to actually wait for shipping you can order replacement blades from fishUSA.com at really reasonable prices.  I tried to use a hand sharpener on my auger blades the other day [Saturday] (it was actually designed to sharpen auger blades and marketed as such), and it completely destroyed my edges.  I'm not sure how I managed to cut the 7 holes I needed for Sunday night (took me like 4x the effort), but anyhow I ordered them today and they ship in 3 to 5 business days.  Splitting shipping costs on a few items that I needed in addition to the blades  ;) they were down right cheap.  Just and FYI...

Was it the blue sharpeners everyone is selling that are molded to fit the palm of your hand? I picked one up 2 years ago and have had decent success with it. Certainly doesn't get them as sharp as brand new but when I can't wait the few days for shipping on a new set or don't feel like driving out of my way, it does the job.
Proud to be Pro Staff!!!    Gut cookies?

Walleye count for 2015    21 landed up to 25"

Offline ComplexSimon

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Jan 28, 2008, 11:04 AM »
Yeah it was the molded blue ones.  I followed the instructions and when I took it out in the afternoon it wouldn't bite the ice for the initial turns.  If I angled the auger away from myself I could get it to barely catch, and then each turn I had to realign the one blade that was catching.  I'm going to look at the sharpener a bit more as I may not have done it completely correct, but I'm certainly not going to try and fish again with the blades the way they are now.  It did seem to sharpen the one that was catching...in comparison to the way they were cutting on Saturday morning.  After 50 holes on Saturday I knew I needed to do something if I was going to try and fish again on Sunday.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.