The ice fishing PA boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: Ice Fishing Finger Lakes area  (Read 504 times)

Offline Ryanfitzner

• IceShanty Rookie
Ice Fishing Finger Lakes area
« on: Dec 30, 2023, 01:57 PM »
Hello everyone! I’m newer to the Pennsylvania/New York area and I really want to take my brother out on a fishing trip to the finger lakes near the end of January. If anyone could have any recommendations for lakes/areas?

Offline Anomaly

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Formerly clamfarmer
Re: Ice Fishing Finger Lakes area
« Reply #1 on: Dec 30, 2023, 02:25 PM »
Lots to learn there! Some of the inlet streams and creeks have excellent runs of late fall and early winter ll salmon and brown runs. Rainbows too... Not sure about fishing the lakes rules. BUT I think you can boat troll. Look up some guide folks.. Also, lots of good water for walleye, yellow perch and crappie. Ice is an issue, of course. The finger lakes don't freeze except near shore at the n and s ends...
"You can’t buy happiness, but you can buy fishing gear and that’s kind of the same thing.” 

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #2 on: Dec 30, 2023, 03:22 PM »

Curios why move this to PA ? finger lakes are in NY which I believe more answers would be available there

Offline sab

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Dec 30, 2023, 05:34 PM »
I'm going silly with the rain, but I searched "finger lake Maine" and found a marketing Blog that said:  "...The fingers of the region are made up of four lakes Thompson Lake, Long Lake, Highland Lake, and Moose Pond. ..."

So I live here, and never heard the lake region called fingers.  I then looked at a map, remember now its been raining for 4 days on/off, and it looks like Sebago is the hand (palm) and Crystal Lake, LL and Brandy is the middle finger.  I thought that was clean and funny joke on this cold rainy Saturday. 

Offline Raquettedacker

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #4 on: Dec 30, 2023, 05:39 PM »
Curios why move this to PA ? finger lakes are in NY which I believe more answers would be available there
Because he is posting on the Maine board.  Pretty sure he is from PA..
Strangers stopping strangers just to shake there hand.
         The successful life were living has us feuding like the Hatfields and McCoys...
Pro Staff Member "Team Loser"

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #5 on: Dec 30, 2023, 11:52 PM »
 Thanks sab I never heard of Maine of having a set of finger lakes , so I also checked that out 👍
 Ryan keep an eye on conditions pg and ask some of the western ny guys for some info on the fingers

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.