The ice fishing PA boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: Lake Wallenpaupack  (Read 3270 times)

Offline Jpeters3006

• IceShanty Rookie
Lake Wallenpaupack
« on: Jan 28, 2019, 10:51 AM »
Went out ice fishing for the first time this weekend. Out of two days only caught one pickerel on a minnow. Still had a great time. Ice was between 6 and 8 inches.

Offline Chris338378

• Team IceShantyholic
Re: Lake Wallenpaupack
« Reply #1 on: Jan 28, 2019, 04:43 PM »
Wallenpaupack can be a tough lake to fish if you don't know where you're going.  I never fished it before but what I would do is go to one of the coves and look for old holes or where others are fishing and work around that area.  Sorry I can't give you any better advice.

Offline Jpeters3006

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Jan 28, 2019, 05:10 PM »
Thanks for the feedback. We tried going where we saw a bunch of holes. Still no luck. I am not sure if we were fishing too deep. We were trying to stay about 2 feet off the bottom in 15-30ft of water. The good thing is that we still had a great time.

Offline theTUGistheDRUG

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Jan 28, 2019, 06:22 PM »
Get Navionics on your phone and focus on points, channel edges, and humps in 20-30'.  Primarily in coves.  I am no expert by any means, but we typically get perch at minimum.  Parking is the big problem at that Lake.  Lots of private communities.

Offline Chris338378

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #4 on: Jan 28, 2019, 07:44 PM »
I don't know if you have a flasher or fish finder but they help lots especially at places like the Wallenpaupack. 

Offline Thefixr

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Feb 01, 2019, 07:02 AM »
The Pac is my favorite lake to fish. It seems that the reason everybody fishes it is because if a flag goes up you never know what's going to be on the other end. They've been getting stripers down around Ironwood Pt.  the Pac is a patience lake but worth it.

Offline PaCarpboy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Feb 01, 2019, 08:26 AM »
Believe it or not, even after two mornings of below zero weather, there is still a large open water area between Spinnler Cove and Epply Island.  That information is firsthand from someone that drives by there every day.  Just be very cautious if heading out that way, especially if you are on a machine. 

Offline Freytown

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Feb 01, 2019, 08:51 AM »
Believe it or not, even after two mornings of below zero weather, there is still a large open water area between Spinnler Cove and Epply Island.  That information is firsthand from someone that drives by there every day.  Just be very cautious if heading out that way, especially if you are on a machine.
Thank you for the heads-up. FT  BTW, Lyons Cove where Spinner creek enters

Offline PaCarpboy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Feb 01, 2019, 10:15 AM »
Thanks for clarifying Freytown.  I'm not that familiar with the Wallenpaupak nomenclature.  I rely on the guys that live near it and fish it.  Various maps make reference to Spinnlers Cove, Spinnlers Point and so on.  As long as we are making people aware of the danger, that's the important thing.  Have fun and stay on top!
Here's a map with various points of interest.

http://wallenpaupackwatershed.org/wp-content/uploads/2013/07/Wallenpaupack-Landmarks-and-Place-Names.pdf

Offline micpa

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Feb 02, 2019, 04:29 AM »
Thanks for the heads up...heading up this weekend with my son it will be his first time on the ice. I don't think either of us want to treck out to the island but it's good to know to look for other spots.

Offline Wagonmaster87

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Feb 02, 2019, 04:42 AM »
I’ve fished the Pack in the summer time, but never in the winter. Anybody have luck their through the ice?

Offline JiggerMan

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • one of my future ice buddies
« Reply #11 on: Feb 02, 2019, 09:00 PM »
I snowmobile and 2 side by sides went through the pac today.  Use caution

RGIII keeps a bench mighty warm

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.