The ice fishing PA boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: Deeper Sonar  (Read 1557 times)

Offline RepGerg

• IceShanty Rookie
Deeper Sonar
« on: Jan 21, 2019, 10:00 AM »
My Xmas gift any hints ideas for ice fishing You Tube videos make me excited to try on ice on my local WPA lakes.
Thanks in advance

Offline bgabel

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Deeper Sonar
« Reply #1 on: Jan 25, 2019, 01:15 PM »
Deeper sonar is a great portable fish finder and has a nice flasher setting for ice fishing.  It can sometimes be finicky connecting to your phone via blue tooth.  Not sure if it was my phone having issues or the Deeper unit.  But I have been using mine for a few years on the ice and from my kayak.  Enjoy your new toy!
Fish on!

Offline RepGerg

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Jan 25, 2019, 04:03 PM »
Thanks heading to High Point tomorrow will post how it worked.
Side note: Shadlure has great bait in stock also anything else you can think about for hardwater.

Offline chrisfish1

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Jan 25, 2019, 06:56 PM »
I use a deeper strictly and I love it.  Little troublesome lugging that and a phone around and other stuff but the thing straight up works.  Just make sure you put in in ice fishing mode for the flasher.  If you have a spare android or iPhone to use strictly for the deeper while your regular phone stays in your pocket that helps.  I would recommend buying 1 or 2 spare portable battery packs to charge the deeper itself and phone.  Obviously a dedicated flasher is better but for 100 bucks (which the older models go for now but still work just as good). You absolutely can’t beat it.  Just keep the bottom of it clean and free of ice.  Also don’t drop it too hard into the hole or it will get trapped under the ice! 

Offline JMZ

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Addict
  • AKA Dinkmaster
« Reply #4 on: Jan 25, 2019, 07:31 PM »
Great advice. I'm fortunate to have an iPad and use it with my deeper in the summer. I went to the deeper site and noticed that the deeper 3.0 is discontinued but they have some new models which cost a little more.
AKA Dinkmaster

Offline Warnerfishing12

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Jan 26, 2019, 11:33 AM »
Trying mine out for the first time of extended use today! Tried for an hour a few weeks ago but loved it!

Offline Warnerfishing12

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Jan 27, 2019, 05:53 AM »
Update: very impressed with the unit, was able to distinguish weeds on the standard view next to the flasher.
Definitely worth getting!

Offline RepGerg

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Jan 27, 2019, 04:37 PM »
I agree went out both days weedline @ High Point marked easily
Soooo portable

Offline bgabel

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Jan 28, 2019, 08:25 AM »
My deeper let me down yesterday, first time using it on a new phone paired it before going out and at game time it couldn't connect.  Was a bit disappointed and it wasn't the first time this has happened. 
Fish on!

Offline JMZ

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Addict
  • AKA Dinkmaster
« Reply #9 on: Jan 28, 2019, 07:26 PM »
Try turning the wi-fi off. It uses bluetooth to connect.
AKA Dinkmaster

Offline fishfinder528

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Jan 29, 2019, 10:55 AM »
I have the deeper pro plus. I have used it for ice fishing kayak fishing and shore fishing. Never had any issues getting it to connect,  just a matter of getting the sensitivity set right to avoid interference. Also does not work well in close proximity to a vexliar. My mom was use her vexliar and I was receiving a lot of interference. Will be going out friday and Saturday I will let you know what happens

Offline Warnerfishing12

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Jan 30, 2019, 01:41 PM »
I have the deeper pro plus. I have used it for ice fishing kayak fishing and shore fishing. Never had any issues getting it to connect,  just a matter of getting the sensitivity set right to avoid interference. Also does not work well in close proximity to a vexliar. My mom was use her vexliar and I was receiving a lot of interference. Will be going out friday and Saturday I will let you know what happens

I can also attest to the deeper not working well next to a marcum flasher as well.

Offline bgabel

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #12 on: Jan 30, 2019, 03:24 PM »
JMZ you think the Wifi still turned on might have caused the issue connecting via Bluetooth?  I will make sure to turn the wifi off next time hopefully it is that simple.  Ever since the first time it has happened I am always nervous it will happen again and ruin a trip.  The connection issues have been my only complaint about Deeper so hopefully you solved it.

Thanks for the suggestion!
Fish on!

Offline JMZ

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Addict
  • AKA Dinkmaster
« Reply #13 on: Jan 30, 2019, 10:41 PM »
I have the older model deeper 3.0. I remember something about turning wi-fi off. I went to their  website deepersonar.com and they said try connecting it at home in a bowl of water.
AKA Dinkmaster

Offline panfishpounder

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Jan 31, 2019, 01:01 AM »
If you are using the pro+ model I am almost sure it connects VIA wifi.  This is why they tell you to turn data off from your network.  Without researching this, I cant remember off the top of my head.  So dont quote me on this.  I know on mine in the summer I had to turn phone data off. 

Offline panfishpounder

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Feb 04, 2019, 10:00 AM »
I used my deeper pro plus through the ice for the first time last evening.  Though I still prefer my lowrance this little unit is pretty amazing.  I could see my jigs and fish.  Only complaint is interference from other sonars. This causes a fair amount of junk on screen.  I did have some issues connecting a few times after a phone call.  Ended up finding if I pull it out of water, and dry the electrodes that turn it on, it would connect right back up.  I was able to tell difference between soft and hard bottom and also structure.  I am very impressed with what this little thing does.  I will for sure be using it again.  If some one would want to fish lite.  Like backpacking in some where this would be a great little tool.   This one does connect VIA WIFI.  You must turn mobile data off.  So no checking on Ice Shanty while in use.  😁😁😁😁

Offline RepGerg

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #16 on: Feb 05, 2019, 01:59 PM »
I really enjoyed using the Deeper it’s so convenient, I did buy a clear holder to place around my neck so no drops down hole. Marked weeds perfectly so I was always able to set tip ups at exact depth, love how it showed bait, split shot and barrel swivel.

Offline Stormy1632!

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #17 on: Feb 06, 2019, 01:35 PM »
Just used mine for the first time last weekend, love it

Offline JMZ

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Addict
  • AKA Dinkmaster
« Reply #18 on: Feb 06, 2019, 03:07 PM »
Hey guys, how about saying what model deeper you have.
AKA Dinkmaster

Offline holehopper

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Me and Dave Genz
« Reply #19 on: Feb 06, 2019, 04:41 PM »
Anyone try these on ice that is a foot or more thick?  I would think that with the sonar floating at the top of the hole (vs. down in the hole on a cord like a flasher) it would not allow for much of a cone since the sonar is surrounded by ice in the hole? 
Never Stop Never Stopping

Offline fishfinder528

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #20 on: Feb 06, 2019, 06:10 PM »
Used my deeper pro plus over the weekend hole hopping and it worked great. Used a phone mount drilled into a 5 gallon bucket and it worked great not a sensitive a high end flasher but it worked great no complaints

Offline bgabel

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #21 on: Feb 06, 2019, 07:10 PM »
Still having issues with mine unit connecting.  Tried it in a bowl of water before going out and it connected right away and then when I got to the ice it wouldn’t connect.  Tried turning off WiFi and didn’t solve the problem.  I think I have the older unit which isn’t WiFi based but it only connects in places with WiFi.  Never had this issue before so I’m a bit confused and annoyed need to call their support I guess. 
Fish on!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.