The ice fishing ME board is sponsored by:
Visit Dags visit derby website

Author Topic: keeping it going "08"  (Read 4225 times)

Offline Coach

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: keeping it going "08"
« Reply #30 on: Apr 29, 2008, 04:12 PM »
Wow, thanks, Coach.  Nice sled.  I didn't realize it was so long.
I found the Speed rail parts on-line without a problem, but am wondering what type of tubing you used.
Very nice idea on using an old toboggan.
Thanks again,
MD
My Clam sleeper opens to 8'x8' so I use a 8' toboggan, actually 2 of them because I wanted 4 boards per side to give the runners some width and a toboggan is made with only 7 boards. The tubing is thick wall pipe for chain link fencing.

Are you planing to pull yours by hand or behind a machine? I pull mine with a ATV. I thinking that if you use a machine, something this long needs to be able to bend & flex over the terrain, so I am going to take out my middle support post. I'm also thinking of adding a runner to the bottom of the runners (like a snowmobile ski has) to help it tow better.

Post some pictures if you build one

Offline Mainedog

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #31 on: Apr 29, 2008, 05:23 PM »
Thanks for the feedback, Coach.  I was really admiring your design (toboggan and speed-rail parts).  I have built a couple.  I have a Shappell DX4000.  Not as large as your Clam, but big and awkward enough as is.
I built a sled last year out of curb-side downhill snow skis, and an old Thule roof rack.  Sorry no pictures of this lightweight yet (but I'll snap a few next trip back to camp). I put a 3/8" piece of plywood on top to give the skis lateral support.  The Shappell folded up acts as a base for piling things on top of as well.

Offline Coach

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #32 on: Apr 29, 2008, 06:56 PM »
Nice. Originally I was trying to find some metal or plastic for the runners. I just found some metal over to Coastal Metal Fab that looks similar to your runners, but could not find any plastic. I can relate to big and awkward.

Thanks for sharing
Coach

Offline pegasus

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • THINK ICE
« Reply #33 on: Apr 29, 2008, 07:00 PM »
There isn't much snow left up here tonight Mainedog. The wind is howling around 50mph and it's pouring rain sideways. It feels like someone is out front with a fire hose spraying the house. I wonder how's Hazzy doing up in Limestone tonight? That snow must be getting close to the grass by now.
Steve

Offline Coach

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #34 on: Apr 29, 2008, 08:08 PM »
There isn't much snow left up here tonight Mainedog. The wind is howling around 50mph and it's pouring rain sideways. It feels like someone is out front with a fire hose spraying the house. I wonder how's Hazzy doing up in Limestone tonight? That snow must be getting close to the grass by now.
The wind has finally let up down here, but it's back pouring again. Going turkey hunting in the morning, was hoping not to do it in the pouring rain

Offline sticks

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #35 on: Apr 29, 2008, 08:37 PM »
coach,
see if you can get your hands on the yellow plastic that they use on the top of the fences at baseball and softball fields, i believe thats what they guys up on ours this year which is an 8x10 and we have no issues pushing it with out a machine

Offline billditrite

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • R.I.P. Bobberstop 6-14-1944 ~ 7-21-2010
« Reply #36 on: Apr 30, 2008, 05:24 AM »
great job on the sled!! definately goona keep my eyes open for the taboggan at yard sales this summer!! thanks for posting!

Offline dirk327

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • !
« Reply #37 on: Apr 30, 2008, 07:45 AM »
coach,
see if you can get your hands on the yellow plastic that they use on the top of the fences at baseball and softball fields, i believe thats what they guys up on ours this year which is an 8x10 and we have no issues pushing it with out a machine
Sticks, I believe that the underneath of your skis are the sliders from a mill.  Not sure though....bring on the ice!

Offline chezmoose

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #38 on: Apr 30, 2008, 11:19 AM »
Another good way to find materials without having to go yardsaling is to join your local freecycle group.
http://www.freecycle.org/
Post what you're looking for and someone just might have it sitting in their barn and will give it to you free. I'm amazed at some of the stuff I see asked for (and offered) on our local freecycle group.

Official Treasurer of the M.I.R.C.
                                    Membership dues payable now

Offline Mainedog

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #39 on: Apr 30, 2008, 04:22 PM »
Or www.craigslist.com in the "free" section.

Offline Coach

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #40 on: Apr 30, 2008, 05:36 PM »
great job on the sled!! definately goona keep my eyes open for the taboggan at yard sales this summer!! thanks for posting!
Thanks, What I like about it, it may be big but it not heavy. I would also check out Uncle Henry's or your local recycle center.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.