The ice fishing ME board is sponsored by:
Visit Dags visit derby website

Author Topic: Summer bait tanks  (Read 2589 times)

Offline Mainehazmt

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
Summer bait tanks
« on: Mar 29, 2008, 09:56 AM »
Well when the ground thaws.....june july   Im thinking about starting my bait tank early by making an outside pond kinda   I got 2 8X10 pond liners and was thinking about gluiong them together  and making a cheap pond   anyone have luck with something like that?
I am a Veteran Not a Terrorist!

Offline GasBlaster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Welcomes green fish
Re: Summer bait tanks
« Reply #1 on: Mar 29, 2008, 10:06 AM »
 I have never tried that ,But I did see one here once a guy with a tank in the ground under a rain gutter . The gutter emptied into his tank . He said he had good luck keeping bait in that .

Offline mainedukblaster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • THE CAMP!!
« Reply #2 on: Mar 29, 2008, 10:12 AM »
Well when the ground thaws.....june july   Im thinking about starting my bait tank early by making an outside pond kinda   I got 2 8X10 pond liners and was thinking about gluiong them together  and making a cheap pond   anyone have luck with something like that?
always thinking huh hazzy .... about the tank!!  :clap:

Offline Mike G

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #3 on: Mar 29, 2008, 11:12 AM »
I think it's worth a try.  One thing that jumps to mind - 1) heat.  I'd consider putting the pond in shade if possible.  A shallow pond will get wicked hot and maybe kill the bait?  Good luck - keep us posted on myfishfinder.

Offline jimmyclaude

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I Have Trouts!!!
« Reply #4 on: Mar 29, 2008, 11:15 AM »
Blaster, what is the purpose of the tank/pond? Year round bait supply?
Tastes like RockBass<br />                                             \"Official Horticulturalist of the NYRC\"

Offline mainedukblaster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • THE CAMP!!
« Reply #5 on: Mar 29, 2008, 11:20 AM »
not sure, Hazmat is always thinking of ways to keep his hobby, I mean bait tank, going.. ;D

Offline GasBlaster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Welcomes green fish
« Reply #6 on: Mar 29, 2008, 11:25 AM »
You can fish with live bait in open water to . Hazzy has so many baits he just wants to try to keep them until next year I bet .

Offline cliffdog54

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Mar 29, 2008, 11:29 AM »
hey hazzie, a circulator will help keep the water cooler, 4 ft. deep is a good depth. earth is cool and will help, and putting i lilypads will help shad the fish, at least with a small pond, you an control the growth. good luck ;D

Offline jknight

• IceShanty Rookie
  • <a href="http://s892.photobucket.com/albums/ac129/
« Reply #8 on: Mar 29, 2008, 09:46 PM »
the pond i trap here in sanford shapliegh area is about 5 ft. deep and it produces very well but this year i have had a problem with to many hornpout in the trap.

Offline Mainehazmt

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #9 on: Mar 30, 2008, 06:41 AM »
that's one of the things  but caring for the bait tank is therapeutic  lol  relaxing   I can relax working on it for easily an hr or 2 if I want the water sound too   lol  but if I have it outside maybe they'd get bigger and take my time when I want to get bait instead of august Sept rush

Offline Mainehazmt

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #10 on: Mar 30, 2008, 07:04 AM »
besides with this I know all the fish are destined to die!  much better than a fish tank  lol where ya want em to live!

Offline rich81

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Mar 30, 2008, 09:59 AM »
the pond i trap here in sanford shapliegh area is about 5 ft. deep and it produces very well but this year i have had a problem with to many hornpout in the trap.

i think the hornpout will eventually overtake the pond??  and live bait in open water is fun too although i usually don't need it. it is nice to have a dozen or so if you can't get them to eat anything else or if you want guaranteed action

Offline grr8d8b8

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #12 on: Mar 30, 2008, 10:30 AM »
what I did was just take a deepfreeze, drilled a 2 holes in the top of it, run a wire thgough, put a light bulb under the top of it, and an airiator, when it freezes over I turn the light on for 24  hours or until the ice melts, works great in the winter, have never tried it in the summer time, my bait traps work plenty well enough during the summer months. Every now and then ya gotta change the water, but a gasline works well for that, takes a day or two, but still pretty easy.

works for me.  ;D

Offline jimmyclaude

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I Have Trouts!!!
« Reply #13 on: Mar 30, 2008, 11:52 AM »
what I did was just take a deepfreeze, drilled a 2 holes in the top of it, run a wire thgough, put a light bulb under the top of it, and an airiator, when it freezes over I turn the light on for 24  hours or until the ice melts, works great in the winter, have never tried it in the summer time, my bait traps work plenty well enough during the summer months. Every now and then ya gotta change the water, but a gasline works well for that, takes a day or two, but still pretty easy.

works for me.  ;D

Hold on! you can't make a post like that with out pictures! how on earth am I gonna sell it to my wife? ;D
Tastes like RockBass<br />                                             \"Official Horticulturalist of the NYRC\"

Offline Loves To Fish

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Mar 30, 2008, 03:21 PM »

It should work as long as you do 2 things. One is to have it in shade ( As Mike G stated ), or make covers for your tanks. The second thing is to make sure you have steady water running in and steady water running out. Good luck!!!!

Offline Mainehazmt

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #15 on: Mar 30, 2008, 04:45 PM »
If  I get the gumption and if... it is affordable I have a spring 500+ft away  now ya gotta add in friction loss in the pipe   so  the water source is never really a problem    where I want it actually is there is a brook on the property but subject to flooding  and this year  I do think it might be 5' underwater  so that wouldnt work out in the long run   I keep trying to figure where to put it  keep peaking out the windows   (north side windows mostly blocked with snow) trying to decide   may make a raised tank   I got a few months left to figure it out   lol

Offline pfd168

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Living the Dream !
« Reply #16 on: Mar 30, 2008, 08:02 PM »
I would just try to find a small pond near you and empty the bait into that

Offline mainedukblaster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • THE CAMP!!
« Reply #17 on: Mar 30, 2008, 08:12 PM »
I would just try to find a small pond near you and empty the bait into that
:whistle: :whistle: :cookoo: :cookoo: :cookoo: :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao:

Offline Mainehazmt

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #18 on: Mar 31, 2008, 06:05 AM »
Me thinks  IF&W wouldnt  think much of that  lol

Offline MaineFishah

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #19 on: Mar 31, 2008, 09:31 AM »
I have a question about the chest freezer idea? Can you still run the freezer to cool the water or is that a no no? I may look into this idea for a yearly bait tank idea out in the garage or basement. I've seen the light bulb trick many times with people who have pump houses for their wells, seems to throw enough heat.

Offline Loves To Fish

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #20 on: Mar 31, 2008, 09:43 AM »
I have a question about the chest freezer idea? Can you still run the freezer to cool the water or is that a no no? I may look into this idea for a yearly bait tank idea out in the garage or basement. I've seen the light bulb trick many times with people who have pump houses for their wells, seems to throw enough heat.

Yes you can MaineFishah,
                                   I know of at least a half dozen people who have used old freezers for their smelt. The trick is to run it as low as possible without the water freezing. It works great.

Offline dadstacklebox

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • ice it!
« Reply #21 on: Mar 31, 2008, 10:49 AM »
Were on the same page here, again Hazy. I am going to try out a above ground pool this year, I think. Gravity fed water source, I think. If it don't work, well I could just go swimming.  ;D
fire and ice go together like hate and love!
        Extreme Outdoors

Offline fishfry

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #22 on: Mar 31, 2008, 11:02 AM »
Were on the same page here, again Hazy. I am going to try out a above ground pool this year, I think. Gravity fed water source, I think. If it don't work, well I could just go swimming.  ;D
;D ;D

Offline Fishalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #23 on: Mar 31, 2008, 12:43 PM »
You may be a Redneck!!! :laugh: :tipup:
Let the little one\\\\\\\'s grow

Offline mainedukblaster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • THE CAMP!!
« Reply #24 on: Mar 31, 2008, 03:41 PM »
You may be a Redneck!!! :laugh: :tipup:
...... if your swimming pool doubles as your bait tank! :roflmao: :roflmao:

Offline mud_n_fun

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Well? Where's the fish!!
« Reply #25 on: Mar 31, 2008, 04:06 PM »
I wonder if I can descale fish in the wifes washing machine...... ??? ??? ??? ???
Redneck?

Offline jrelaxin

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • justrelaxin
« Reply #26 on: Mar 31, 2008, 05:46 PM »
a floating keg won't use up much of the oxygen ............... :laugh:
Donuts !!!!!       

Dave

Offline jayswimmer09

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • flag!!! dont u love that word?
« Reply #27 on: Mar 31, 2008, 07:14 PM »
i have heard of many people using the chest freezer idea, sounds great to me. just cant put out the money for a new one, waiting to come across the used one

Offline beeverfishing

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #28 on: Mar 31, 2008, 08:05 PM »
I'm also looking for an old chest freezer to use as a bait tank.   Sounds like a great idea !

For those of you looking for one.. FREE  you may want to check out Free Cycle.  Everything listed is free and chances are there is a group near you !!   Some require that you post something to give away BEFORE you receive, but that depends on the group.  Never know what you might find.  And best of all, It is ALL FREE !  ;D ;D

http://www.freecycle.org/

Offline Coach

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #29 on: Mar 31, 2008, 08:30 PM »
We had the Farm pond dug out bigger & deeper this past fall. So we are going to have our local heron transfer the bait from my house over to to the pond :whistle: :whistle:

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.