Author Topic: Tobin flats ???  (Read 2669 times)

Offline fnsdeuce

• IceShanty Rookie
Tobin flats ???
« on: Mar 08, 2019, 04:15 PM »
anyone know  if there is a road plowed or trail open to drive out ?

Offline farmboy

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Tobin flats ???
« Reply #1 on: Mar 08, 2019, 04:35 PM »
I’ll find out for you here deuce standby

Offline farmboy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Mar 08, 2019, 05:42 PM »
Sorry can’t give a definitive answer. My buddy who lives there said he heard Vince plowed a trail out but he hasn’t been out to see for himself

Offline fnsdeuce

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Mar 08, 2019, 07:23 PM »
thanks farmboy

Offline farmboy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Mar 08, 2019, 07:39 PM »
You bet! I’d maybe phone Vince before you left though, I don’t want you to drive there expecting a plowed trail only to find that there isn’t one. Wish I could tell you for sure but that’s the best I could do

Offline bigk

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Mar 08, 2019, 10:53 PM »
There is a road but only to rental shacks. They have signs up saying rental shack use only. I would think some cash to Vince and don’t crowd his shacks and he wouldn’t mind but I have been wrong before

Offline farmboy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Mar 10, 2019, 09:56 PM »
Just talked to a buddy that went. Flats have 2 feet of hard packed snow so it’s a no go with trucks. I suppose if someone wants to try blow a diff or tranny then they could smash away at it and try. There’s a bit of a plowed road out but nobody was driving off the trail. Way too much snow. Just what I’ve been told...

Offline Lonestarsask

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Mar 12, 2019, 02:37 PM »
I wanted to post this but don't want to slam anybody. Just an fyi. Last week a group of six of us including 2 70 year olds went on our annual fishing trip. We tried to book Tobin lake resort but they didn't have all days available. We stayed at rusty hook. We brought sleds but we were hoping for a road bc of the older fellas. Tues morning I drove out to check conditions and there was a road plowed. Awesome I thought. I drove out to the resort cabins. Nobody home. They had a group of 6 shacks to the right and a 5th wheel on left. Signs to stay out of plowed areas so we stayed over 100 yards from 5th wheel and prob 400 yards from group of shacks. The first day nobody bothered us. The second day the resort owner came and expected us to leave. We explained we have stayed with him 5 diff years giving thousands. We even offered money. He was just angry. The next day we went to same spot. He tried to chase us out again. We were 400 yards from one guest he had fishing. Nobody else there. He expected us to be half mile away. I even offered 100 buck again but he just wanted to yell. He even said he had the c o on board and threatens to plow me in. Then he left. I called the local c o and he said I could fish where I want and that I gave more than enough space. If I had any issues to call back. The owner later apologized to my dad bit he figures if he plows he has more right. I hope I don't start a fight but this has bothered me. I am an ethical angler.  And I take care of those beautiful  fish.

Offline Lonestarsask

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Mar 12, 2019, 03:33 PM »
We also had a ski plane do a very low flyby on us last day thurs. I'm pretty sure it was related somehow. Other than the confrontation it was a awesome trip. Watched my dad catch his pb.  Great memories. We catch big fish every year. This is only year we fished near rental shacks. What a great fishery.

Offline Timetofish

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Mar 12, 2019, 05:45 PM »
Our group was just up to the flats. We talked to the owner about using the plowed trails, he said he preferred if we didn’t, but has no right to stop us or charge us any money. Just like if you make a bush trail on public land to a bait, it’s not your trail. So be respectful and but don’t let outfitters claim lakes or forests.

Offline farmboy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Mar 12, 2019, 08:29 PM »
Yup agreed. He’s definitely had to put up with a bunch of b.s. for years and years on the flats but that being said it still doesn’t give anyone the right to be ignorant to people.

If someone has an issue with a fellow angler there’s a way to address it and that isn’t it. At least attempt to have a respectful adult conversation about it first.
Hope it didn’t ruin the trip, sounds like you still had some fun

Offline Lonestarsask

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Mar 13, 2019, 10:08 AM »
We had a great trip. Great group of guys. We Did nothing wrong. The lodge outfitter just figures his clients have more rights than everybody else. His expectations are way off. With that attitude he will definately have more conflicts.
Any other lake is first come first serve for fishing spots. That's why we do Tobin during the week. Never weekend.

Offline EVAN NIM

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Mar 13, 2019, 10:12 AM »
Ive stayed at the resort for many years in the summer-
I can see it beeing an annoyance for guys running the road you plow and fishing next to your shacks- but this isnt private land, he has no right to try and stop people from driving the road or fishing where the want,

Ive never ran into an outfitter goose hunting and left the meeting feeling warm and fuzzy, the whole entitlement thing is a bit much

Offline Lonestarsask

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #13 on: Mar 13, 2019, 10:14 AM »
I do understand he has had issues with ignorant people in past. But the majority of anglers I run into on the flats are great. Everybody gives plenty space. Usually bout 100 yards. And plenty of shared info and laughs. I will be back next year.

Offline saskwallydiver

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #14 on: Mar 13, 2019, 11:47 AM »
Heading there this weekend can’t wait!  :tipup:

Offline uglystikr

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #15 on: Mar 16, 2019, 09:10 AM »
Anyone been out lately are the flats still a no go with a truck?
Hard Water
Hard Liquor
Hard Core
If you can't get it hard,
Leave it alone!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.