Author Topic: Bad tasting perch  (Read 8622 times)

Offline Figure ate

• Team IceShanty Regular
Bad tasting perch
« on: Feb 14, 2019, 04:55 PM »
Recently caught some perch out of a lake I had never fished before. Kept 4, two 11" a 12" and a 13". I've always loved perch, but these tasted bad. Not bad as in rotten (eaten hours post-mortem), but almost bitter and lacking the sweet and delicate flavor I normally associate with perch.

Have any of you guys had issues with this out of certain lakes or bigger fish? I'm baffled and disappointed

Offline Iceattic

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Bad tasting perch
« Reply #1 on: Feb 14, 2019, 05:00 PM »
I fished a lake the last 2 weeks keeping perch, gills and crappie. This last week I fillet a perch and the meat was like yellow color? The rest of the perch were white? I threw that one away, but I never saw one yellow in 40 plus years of ice fishing.

Offline claymore6

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Feb 14, 2019, 05:04 PM »
"you are what you eat"; did you check what they had been eating when you cleaned them?  or could they have gotten contaminated during transport? ( some kind of auger fuel?)

Offline jlbrownie_1

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Feb 14, 2019, 05:13 PM »
If a panfish filet smells, mushy, oddly discolored, or buggy I don’t eat it.

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #4 on: Feb 14, 2019, 05:16 PM »
Its probably what their food source is and what they have been foraging on in that particular body of water.

Offline taxi1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
I live in the midwest now but have fond memories of fishing in New England as a kid.

Offline esox_xtm

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • It's Showtime!
« Reply #6 on: Feb 14, 2019, 05:42 PM »
I see plenty of differences in flesh color in same species fish ranging from white to yellowish to pinkish. Usually all good and cooks up white all the same. I agree that you are what you eat and perhaps a dietary choice has altered the flavor. Pity the cannibal that eats me. I eat waaaay too many hot peppers.  ;)

As far as parasites, the most common ones (black specks) won't hurt you or change flavor if fully cooked. It's more of an appearance thing. If you can't eat it you're not that hungry or just close your eyes and have a bite, it'll be fine.

To your flavor observation: I'd guess a dietary choice or post catch contamination.

Question: Did this (these) fillets have a mud/blood line? If they did and you didn't remove it that could cause an off flavor. Those are interesting. As I understand it, they have nothing to do with mud or blood but are the nerve endings of the lateral line. In pike I see them sometimes but usually not, in bass and stripers often and walleyes never. The fact that pike exhibit them only sometimes suggests that lateral line stimulation or over stimulation can cause this area to discolor situationally and affect the flavor. If pike can do it maybe panfish do too. Just supposin'...
To fish or not to fish? That's a stupid question!

“Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality.”― Lewis Carroll

Offline esox_xtm

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • It's Showtime!

Offline defish

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Feb 14, 2019, 07:50 PM »
With larger perch I remove the dark colored meat (aka bloodline) as I do with walleye, northern, etc.  With most kinds of fish, the larger ones aren't as good eating as the "eater sized" ones.

Offline rdhammah

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Feb 14, 2019, 09:56 PM »
I fished a new pond last year and was catching white perch. was super cold and ice built up on the rod tip. I melted it by putting the tip in my mouth. the ice tasted like mud. my buddy, who took the fish home said that the fish tasted like dirt. We don't fish there anymore.

Offline Iceassin

• Team IceShantyholic
  • The secret to fishing...fish where the fish are.
« Reply #10 on: Feb 15, 2019, 07:59 AM »
I see plenty of differences in flesh color in same species fish ranging from white to yellowish to pinkish. Usually all good and cooks up white all the same. I agree that you are what you eat and perhaps a dietary choice has altered the flavor. Pity the cannibal that eats me. I eat waaaay too many hot peppers.  ;)

As far as parasites, the most common ones (black specks) won't hurt you or change flavor if fully cooked. It's more of an appearance thing. If you can't eat it you're not that hungry or just close your eyes and have a bite, it'll be fine.

To your flavor observation: I'd guess a dietary choice or post catch contamination.

Question: Did this (these) fillets have a mud/blood line? If they did and you didn't remove it that could cause an off flavor. Those are interesting. As I understand it, they have nothing to do with mud or blood but are the nerve endings of the lateral line. In pike I see them sometimes but usually not, in bass and stripers often and walleyes never. The fact that pike exhibit them only sometimes suggests that lateral line stimulation or over stimulation can cause this area to discolor situationally and affect the flavor. If pike can do it maybe panfish do too. Just supposin'...

Esox my man? I have ALWAYS removed the mud, blood, lateral...or whatever we want to call it... from my Walleye. Why not you? I have heard that it does not taste so well (I have not eaten it myself) and that it could possibly taint the rest of the meat. I have also been told that Walleye do not keep well or as long, even frozen in water (as I do all of my filets), as other fish. Or am I misunderstanding you? Knowing me as I know me, that is highly possible. ;)
"Si quaeris peninsulam amoenam circumspice."

Offline esox_xtm

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • It's Showtime!
« Reply #11 on: Feb 15, 2019, 09:14 AM »
Esox my man? I have ALWAYS removed the mud, blood, lateral...or whatever we want to call it... from my Walleye. Why not you? I have heard that it does not taste so well (I have not eaten it myself) and that it could possibly taint the rest of the meat. I have also been told that Walleye do not keep well or as long, even frozen in water (as I do all of my filets), as other fish. Or am I misunderstanding you? Knowing me as I know me, that is highly possible. ;)

To clarify:

I absolutely remove it... if I see it. That's the thing (and the curiosity), it is not always present. Maybe it's the size of the fish yet I can carve up a 2 foot pike and it's fine, the very next one, caught the same day from the same lake has a very distinct line. I honestly can't remember a walleye where I've seen one. But then I fish for other species much more than walleye though that is likely to change.

As far a preserving frozen fish I prefer other methods to frozen water. Two reasons:

First, when water freezes it tends to smash anything frozen inside it. Maybe sort of OK if it freezes evenly. Still, I believe it tends to unnecessarily "tenderize" (read soften) fillets stored with that method. Grew up that way. Those old wax paper milk cartons stacked in the freezer. Lotsa wasted space too.

Second, you can put a lot of fish into a container like that. And, if you put more fish in than water it minimizes the problem I noted above. BUT, if I want just a few fish, I gotta thaw the whole thing and if it's more than I can use I'm kinda obligated to use them. Refreezing does nothing any favors.

I know what you're thinking Iceassin... (creepy isn't it?  >:D) Here's what I do. Plastic wrap. Tear off a length and lay it on the counter. Place a fillet at one end of the wrap then flip it and the wrap so the fillet has wrap on both sides. For panfish you can get 2 - 3 fillets to each layer. The "ends" will be open. Smooth the wrap so all the air is out from under the wrap. Place another fillet and repeat the process until there's "enough", maybe 2 - 3" high. Place the alternate layers so they fit the previous one well, thick end to thin end. Work the air out of the ends, you can get most of it and fold up. If you want do a second wrap of plastic specifically to secure the ends then pop it into a zip freezer bag for physical protection. Squeeze as much air out of the bag as you can before sealing it up. This works very, very well.

Did you notice the common thread there? I use the plastic wrap the same way you use water. To keep air from contacting the surface of the fillet. That's what causes freezer burn, simple dehydration from being exposed. The big advantage with plastic is I can have, say, 6 - 7 fillets (maybe lots more if it's panfish) and I only need a couple. I can open the bag, partially unwrap, pop my two fillets loose with a butter knife. Then I can wrap the rest back up and pop 'em back in the freezer without having to thaw more than I need. Unless you host some big fish fries it's a very efficient way to store fillets. Doesn't take up anymore space than the fish either. Next best thing to a commercial ice glaze on individual pieces.

If you're having issues with long term storage of walleyes either eat more fish or send 'em to me. I'll make 'em go away  ;)2 I don't have trouble storing fish but I try to rotate the inventory frequently. If I've got four meals in the freezer and I'm fishing it's C&R unless I intend to consume my catch fresh. If I run out of inventory and need a fish meal, it's time to go fishing.

Offline Figure ate

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Feb 15, 2019, 01:28 PM »
Answering the various questions.

I didn't spill gas on them (electric augers are great).

No visible parasites, either the black flecks or worms.

Didn't notice any red meat or mud line. I don't usually "zipper" my perch fillets but I did on these beings they were big enough so I think it would have removed the mud line anyway.

They had normal colored meat.

I didn't an analyze stomach content.

Fillets had not been frozen prior to consumption.

I got 2 bluegill and 2 crappie along with the perch and they tasted equally funky. I am thinking it may be the lake that they came from. I'll just skip keeping fish from there in the future.

Offline taxi1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Feb 19, 2019, 06:41 PM »
Pretty uncommon parasite...

True but my DNR is on the lookout for it. My DNR requires testing for it to bring any live perch in interstate.
I live in the midwest now but have fond memories of fishing in New England as a kid.

Offline taxi1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Feb 19, 2019, 06:44 PM »
There are various species of algae that will cause an off flavor in fish. Some bodies of water are notorious for it and some never have the problem.

Fish farmers that raise fish for the table "purge" fish before they are slaughtered to remove that off flavor. That is they put the seined fish into a tank of clean well water and don't feed them for a period of time.

https://agrilifecdn.tamu.edu/fisheries/files/2013/09/SRAC-Publication-No.-192-Managing-Off-Flavor-Problems-in-Pond-Raised-Catfish.pdf

Offline Kevin23

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #15 on: Feb 19, 2019, 10:16 PM »
How big is this lake? Is it a normal public lake or some little lake in the middle of nowhere? Reason I ask is that sometimes you come across a small lake that has been contaminated before and the water is messed up. Old mining lakes can be like this if it is ground water fed.
EYECONICFISHING

Offline Figure ate

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Feb 20, 2019, 09:56 AM »
How big is this lake? Is it a normal public lake or some little lake in the middle of nowhere? Reason I ask is that sometimes you come across a small lake that has been contaminated before and the water is messed up. Old mining lakes can be like this if it is ground water fed.

Smaller reservoir. Seemingly good water quality.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.