Author Topic: Camping on the ice.  (Read 73364 times)

Offline Adironzach

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Certified Doe Dragger
Re: Camping on the ice.
« Reply #300 on: Dec 16, 2020, 09:52 AM »
I primarily target lake trout and burbot with more emphasis on trophy burbot, I’m still trying break the 20 pound mark.  This trip will be no different except I will have access to pike and hopefully sheefish.  I haven’t caught a laker over 30 pounds so obviously I’m going to have to try and do that.  Anyone know where I can get a 12” auger?

Never have caught burbot before but its on the list. I need to try that poor man lobster, yuummm. Not really around me though so would have to plan an overnight trip somewhere if I wanted to target them. Would be a good time to put all this knowledge in the thread to use! As for the auger, I cant help you find a 12" but I find myself doubling or tripling hole up a lot whenever I go out. Not ideal, especially give the assumed thickness of the ice youll be on, but a mickey mouse style hole has never failed me.

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #301 on: Dec 16, 2020, 10:16 AM »
Double the hole Zach.  I do double 8's a lot.

Offline jethro

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #302 on: Dec 16, 2020, 10:35 AM »
Yep, agreed... my favorite auger size now is my 6". Reason is it's so dang fast, I can punch a hole real quick, check depths, move around, hole hop... then if I want to set traps like for lakers or pike or anything really, I drill a triple. Turns out to be like a 14" hole, it's awesome. I also far prefer the 6" hole size inside the flip shanty. Takes up less floor space.
Quote- fishslap: I use a variety:  whistlin' bungholes, spleen splitters, whisker biscuits, honkey lighters, hoosker doos, hoosker don'ts, cherry bombs, nipsy daisers, with or without the scooter stick, or one single whistlin' kitty chaser

Ice safety link: http://lakeice.squarespace.com/

Offline Akhardwater

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #303 on: Dec 16, 2020, 03:26 PM »
I have no problem drilling a Mickey Mouse hole, but when your running and gunning on 4-6 feet of ice it can be very tiring. I think a 12” screw on my Z71 power head would still be the way to go.
I was born an Alaskan I just didn't live here at the time.

Online ActiveTrapChecker

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #304 on: Dec 20, 2020, 10:06 PM »
 Camping on the ice once again on my “bucket” list for the tummies straight season. Fingers crossed that I make it happen this year.

General question - do you leave your tip up out overnight? I have a bag of those bell and neon lights to put on the tip ups. But would they be considered “unattended” in NY if you rest your eyes for a few hours in the shanty?

Offline muskyon46

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Wishin I was Fishin><{}:>
« Reply #305 on: Dec 20, 2020, 10:25 PM »
I put out a 2nd on ice set up for my x200

The weather was to cold to fish with an open door but if it had it would be like some of my other videos with the bubblers going on the jacker holes with the directional lights pointed right at the door. Sure make its nice not cleaning holes even if it was a dead stick with bells also
     Wyoming & Idaho    

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #306 on: Dec 21, 2020, 01:26 PM »
Camping on the ice once again on my “bucket” list for the tummies straight season. Fingers crossed that I make it happen this year.

General question - do you leave your tip up out overnight? I have a bag of those bell and neon lights to put on the tip ups. But would they be considered “unattended” in NY if you rest your eyes for a few hours in the shanty?

Don't do it.  Trust me it's not worth it, especially if it's cold and the holes ice over decently..you'll have a crappy morning!

Online ActiveTrapChecker

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #307 on: Dec 21, 2020, 01:37 PM »
Thanks, that’s what I was thinking after asking. Better off waking up before sunlight and starting fresh

Offline GBguy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #308 on: Dec 21, 2020, 02:13 PM »
Could always set up the tip ups in your shanty if you don't have something like rattle reels.

Offline sparksNfishing

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #309 on: Jan 17, 2021, 11:35 AM »
Just wondering if anyone has any experience using an insulated vs non-insulated sleeping pad on a cot? Are they worth the extra $$. My set up would include a cot, foam pads on the ice, -15 sleeping bag along with extra blankets, flex heater with a smaller kicker heater if needed. I would go with a heavier sleeping bag if it means one less items I need to take. Conditions wise, it can easily drop to -25C at night without wind.

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #310 on: Jan 17, 2021, 11:54 AM »
I'd use an insulated pad regardless of the bag choice, especially if it's going to be that cold.  I don't know that there'd be a noticeable difference in performance between the two.

Offline GBguy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #311 on: Jan 17, 2021, 12:47 PM »
You'll want something more than the cot between you and the ice. Whether that's foam mats on the ice below your cot, a sleeping pad (insulated or not) or even an extra blanket below your sleeping bag. Might even use a couple sheets of reflectix.

I dont think you'll notice much of a difference with insulated vs uninsulated pad in your setup.

Offline Akhardwater

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #312 on: Jan 17, 2021, 01:47 PM »
Unless I’m backpacking I only use insulated inflatable sleeping pads.  Even with a heater on full blast you will still have cold spots in your shack and the biggest one is always right under your cot.  If you have the space in your sled a foam bedroll is your best option.  It insulates better than any inflatable and in my opinion is way more comfortable.  One thing I’ve noticed over the years is that the taller the cot the warmer it is and the shorter the cot the cooler it is.  I prefer a shorter cot because I sleep warm anyway and a zero bag is more than sufficient.  Ive spent many a night at -40 in an uninsulated shack and have never had an issue as long as I have a good heater and complete floor coverage be it with the foam mats or a carpet. 
I was born an Alaskan I just didn't live here at the time.

Offline TRT

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Trout/Salmon
« Reply #313 on: Jan 17, 2021, 02:57 PM »
I slept out in a 6 by 6 hub Friday night. Soccer mom chair worked out just ok. Buddy heater failed to catch tried all three tanks two were partial tanks. Buddy worked first time I used it an couple hours later would not. Buddy would Prime but not catch. It works today.

Offline Adkrs

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #314 on: Jan 17, 2021, 05:21 PM »
Funny this thread popped up. My buddy and I were discussing doing this on Champlain this year looking for wally's and burbot. Need to invest in a cot, but have nearly everything else. Now we just need this cold weather to freeze champ good. There's safe ice to be had, but nothing I want to camp on overnight(and not in locations where I think I can find burbot).

Love seeing your guys stories! I've already learned a ton. Thank you for posting your successes and failures! I'll do the same
Beer will get you through times of no ice better than ice will get you through times of no beer...

Offline sparksNfishing

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #315 on: Jan 17, 2021, 06:15 PM »
I slept out in a 6 by 6 hub Friday night. Soccer mom chair worked out just ok. Buddy heater failed to catch tried all three tanks two were partial tanks. Buddy worked first time I used it an couple hours later would not. Buddy would Prime but not catch. It works today.
So far I haven't had issues with the flex heater. I have had issue in the past with tank top ones with it being too cold to hold the valve open.

I'm going to be wiring up my own 12v fan to so that I can move some air around at night to limit the cold/ dead zones. I have two small 1.5" fans that push some pretty good air. Going to mount them to the spring clamps so that I can put them were ever they need to be. I may even try a small control cabinet thermostat that will operate the fans on either heat or cool calls. Are there foam flooring pads that are better then others?

Offline GBguy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #316 on: Jan 17, 2021, 07:19 PM »
I use the foam floor pads from Harbor Freight. $9 per pack. Last time I was there they were out of the interlocking mats but had the 6' rolled mats, so I picked up two of those. They're a little thinner than the interlocking mats I think, but should work similarly.

I picked up a small desk fan that will run off a USB power source, and I was thinking of hanging it from the ceiling. But now I'm considering keeping it at a lower level pointed up. Kinda the same idea as reversing your fans in the winter so you're pulling air up rather than pushing warm air down. Up on the ceiling its more out of the way, maybe turn it over so its blowing up towards the ceiling and circulating air that way? Anybody try reversing their fan to blow up instead of down?

Offline Adkrs

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #317 on: Jan 18, 2021, 02:59 PM »
What cots are you guys running? I'm 6'0 230lbs. Was looking at cots on amazon. Reviews are all over the place. I'm a buy once cry once kind of person
Beer will get you through times of no ice better than ice will get you through times of no beer...

Offline sparksNfishing

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #318 on: Jan 18, 2021, 03:27 PM »
What cots are you guys running? I'm 6'0 230lbs. Was looking at cots on amazon. Reviews are all over the place. I'm a buy once cry once kind of person
I'm a bit taller at 6'2 but weigh the same and bought the simple one from Cabelas, Cabelas Camp Cot. Not sure on the weight limits but it seems sturdy enough and my feet don't hang over. I definitely prefer the buy once method too but thought I'd try the cheaper option first since it was only $60 on sale I think. Next year I may look at something better. Also having an extra cheaper one is not always the worst. Makes it easier for friends or family to tag along.

I use the foam floor pads from Harbor Freight. $9 per pack. Last time I was there they were out of the interlocking mats but had the 6' rolled mats, so I picked up two of those. They're a little thinner than the interlocking mats I think, but should work similarly.

I picked up a small desk fan that will run off a USB power source, and I was thinking of hanging it from the ceiling. But now I'm considering keeping it at a lower level pointed up. Kinda the same idea as reversing your fans in the winter so you're pulling air up rather than pushing warm air down. Up on the ceiling its more out of the way, maybe turn it over so its blowing up towards the ceiling and circulating air that way? Anybody try reversing their fan to blow up instead of down?
Hmm USB sounds like a better option. I have found some on newegg that come with a cord, switch and speed control for a 120mm fan. Yup, this is what im going with now. Thanks.

Offline Redsoxfan

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #319 on: Jan 18, 2021, 03:36 PM »
Hiker
Angler
Camper
Guitarist (Kinda!)
Golfer
Woodworker

Offline Adkrs

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #320 on: Jan 18, 2021, 05:41 PM »
Those cabela's ones look well made. I might have to snag that mattress too. I camp in my 4runner in the warmer months. I have a cheap roll up yoga mat that I use as a sleep pad.  That mattress looks awesome

Offline GBguy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #321 on: Jan 18, 2021, 06:02 PM »
I use the more inexpensive Cabelas Camp Cot. Zipper on the carry bag broke after my 2nd or 3rd use, but I couldn't return it because I bought it more than 3 months or 6 months earlier. Cot is fine, I'm 6'0" 175lbs.

Offline bassin212

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #322 on: Jan 18, 2021, 08:13 PM »
I know it’s probably been asked and answered before but any recommendations on a good zero degree bag?
Tight Lines!

Offline Redsoxfan

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #323 on: Jan 19, 2021, 11:14 AM »
Those cabela's ones look well made. I might have to snag that mattress too. I camp in my 4runner in the warmer months. I have a cheap roll up yoga mat that I use as a sleep pad.  That mattress looks awesome

it is.
Hiker
Angler
Camper
Guitarist (Kinda!)
Golfer
Woodworker

Offline manning1987

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #324 on: Jan 19, 2021, 04:23 PM »
Nick Lindner posted this video a couple weeks ago. Gives some good information.

Offline jakediesel1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #325 on: Jan 19, 2021, 04:31 PM »
ive camped twice on the ice overnight this season in a uninsulated hut, mr.buddy heater and a cot with no blanket. couldve used a blanket for more comfort but I managed. I fished all night with tip ups but would check flags every 1 to 2 hours so that I could clean holes. First time I went out I didnt clean holes and 3 inches of hard ice formed in just 6 hours and made it a pain. I use the Rio Gear smart cot xl and it fits perfectly at one end of my hut. Only thing i will do differently next time is keep my beer in the hut so it doesnt freeze and become undrinkable. haha
Around here you can leave tip ups unattended for 24 hours and marked with your AIS# and I see alot of guys bring their ice bar out to chip away for tip ups, but i think you miss alot of fish checking only once every 24 hours.

Offline Sylvanboat

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #326 on: Jan 19, 2021, 06:10 PM »
Check out www.wintercampingsympo sium.com for great info on winter camping.

Offline Irving.L

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #327 on: Jan 19, 2021, 06:39 PM »
Just joined this forum today and read this entire thread, I love camping on the ice we've used a permanent shanty and also pop ups. I've used the big buddy heater and am not a huge fan of them,  this my current heater and it does a great job of heating my 10 person clam

I drilled a hole in the plastic base and run a propane tree from a 20lb tank so it sits on top of the tank that way it uses the same footprint as the tank

Offline FG Steve

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #328 on: Jan 19, 2021, 06:40 PM »
Howdy, folks.  Nice to see some good traffic on my favorite thread!  We took our annual overnight at the end of December, but I haven't finished the write-up yet.  In the meantime, I wanted to pitch in on some of the questions.

Just wondering if anyone has any experience using an insulated vs non-insulated sleeping pad on a cot? Are they worth the extra $$. My set up would include a cot, foam pads on the ice, -15 sleeping bag along with extra blankets, flex heater with a smaller kicker heater if needed. I would go with a heavier sleeping bag if it means one less items I need to take. Conditions wise, it can easily drop to -25C at night without wind.

If you are running heat at night, and you never have any heater problems, it may not matter a lot.  On the other hand if you go overnight with no heat, on purpose like we do, or unexpectedly, then you want an insulated one for sure.  A straight air pad can be a super cold experience!

My net recommendation is with AKhardwater, all insulated, all the time.

We use the Disc-O-Bed L bunk beds, with extensions and foot pads.  They are rated at 400 pounds capacity, per level.  We really, really like them.  It is so nice to have two beds but use up only one bed of floor space.  We sleep two guys 6'5" and they fit us fine.  I'm about 200 lbs and sleep up top with no concerns at all.

If I am in a situation where I don't need the bunk beds, then I use my Slumberjack cot.  I think it is the equivalent to the current model called Tough Cot.  It is a comfy tank that has lasted many years.

I know it’s probably been asked and answered before but any recommendations on a good zero degree bag?

Alas, our are too old to recommend (long since discontinued).  I use a Slumberjack Glacier 4 Long inside a Peak 1 flannel-lined cotton duck.  I've comfortably slept under the stars down to around zero in that combo.

As always, my .02, IMO, and YMMV.
 Happiness is a wife who can outfish you.

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #329 on: Jan 19, 2021, 07:59 PM »
Good to hear from you Steve, I'm sure everyone appreciates the advise and is looking forward to the write up.  My best friend and I are discussing the details of where we might go this year.  I've upgraded to the otter resort which I am very interested in camping in.  It's proven to be extremely comfortable thus far.

Looking forward to your write up! 

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.