The ice fishing WY board is sponsored by:

Author Topic: Boysen/Ocean Road Trip...  (Read 3127 times)

Offline Ratso

• IceShanty Rookie
Boysen/Ocean Road Trip...
« on: Dec 29, 2006, 09:55 AM »
Hi All,

I am new to this forum and am an avid ice fisherman in between being a dad / business owner and husband ;) Somethings got to give and lately its been the lack of fishing for me :-\

I love the site and all the information and hope to be a strong contributor moving forward, now to the real reason for the post.

I live in Colorado and enjoy the ice fishing out here but I would love to do a trip to Boysen/Ocean and try to catch some of those perch and eyes ( maybe a ling or two )that I have been hearing so much about. 

I am looking at sometime in January ( not sure when ) and would love some company because as of now I am flying solo for this trip.  Anyone in Colorado or Wyoming want to meet up on the ice or caravan down?  I could use some pointers on the ways of the elusive wyoming
walleyes on either of the above mentioned lakes 8)

Hope to hear from some of you. 

Talk soon,

Chris

Offline ryaninwy

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Boysen/Ocean Road Trip...
« Reply #1 on: Dec 29, 2006, 10:20 AM »
Hey chris when you find out that you are going i might be able to meet up with you... I am always looking to go ice fishing and that is what i need is another buddy to go with...
This Icefishing obsession i have never melts away....

Offline Ratso

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Dec 29, 2006, 11:13 AM »
Ryan,

Sounds great.  I am possibly looking at the week of 1/15 or 1/22, I will definately let you know and hopefully we can meet up.

Chris

Offline ryaninwy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Dec 29, 2006, 08:46 PM »
Sounds good just let me know and i hope to work things out so that i can go... I do have to tell you though i am not so great at the walleye but would love to catch more of those gators... I have fished boysen about 10 times in the last year but i have never fished ocean but would like to get of there this year sometime... Are you looking to spend the night out on the ice? If you want to not a problem for me i can drag my trailer for a place to eat and sleep... Later..  :)
This Icefishing obsession i have never melts away....

Offline LT

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • "Need larger flamethrower, you will...!"
« Reply #4 on: Dec 30, 2006, 10:32 AM »
Newbies, welcome to what is the best of Iceshanty. I've been fishing Ocean pretty heavily lately. If I may offer a suggestion, you might try Mills Point (Catch it off 8 mile road which runs between US 26 and Wy 134.) The lake has been very kind with wallys and ling. I've been running my tipups mostly late evening through 9 pm and in 5-6 ft of water....they seem to be running the banks, chasing minnows. Tight lines and again, welcome...you'll enjoy being here.
                                        The ex-lteeeeeeee  ;D

Offline Reeldeal

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Dec 30, 2006, 10:22 PM »
Well I'm planing on taking my 5th wheel up Monday and leaving it at Ocean or Boysen so I don't have to keep dragging it back and forth from Casper.I have some buddies at Ocean this weekend and am waiting on a report before I make a decision on where I want to set it up. I've never fished Ocean, but have spent plenty of time at Boysen. EX LT I met you last year on the ice at muddy, I had a white F 250 with a camper on it and two ice huts. Any suggestions on where to leave the rig.

Offline Reeldeal

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Dec 30, 2006, 10:27 PM »
[/url]g]Last years perch. hopefully the moderator can fix this post, Because I still haven't figured out how to post pics yet. ??? ??? ???

Offline LT

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Dec 30, 2006, 10:36 PM »
Right, I recall that meeting, good to hear from you again, well, at Ocean, there's a lot of sites at Long Point you catch off of WY 133, after you turn off at the highway at the Kinnear Spur, catch LOng Point Rd down to the lake and you'll probably be alone...hardly any large numbers of fishermen go there, good shelters, BBQ pits and about the deepest water you can get is 20 ft or so...I'll say this about Ocean, I'd be reluctant to leave my camper there unattended, enough said, fishin's good, less quantity than other Ocean spots or Boysen but considerably larger wallys. I haven't fished Boysen  this season yet and probably won't as long as the fishing is good at Ocean...much less perch, but all keepers  ;D

Offline Hellsangler

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Dec 31, 2006, 12:15 PM »
Little help for Reeldeal .

Nice Toads !!
Utah Ice

Offline benwyo

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Dec 31, 2006, 12:37 PM »
Check out some of the fish you have been catching, they could be a state record.

http://gf.state.wy.us/fish/fishing/stats/records/index.asp

Perch = 2.2 lbs, 16" Length, 12" Girth.
Crappie Black = 2.34 lbs, 15" Length, 13.5 Girth, Caught Boysen Dec. 4, 1997.
Crappie White = 2.31 lbs, 15" Length, (Unknown Girth), Caught Glendo 2000

benwyo

Offline 4cator

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Will ya look at that pig!!
« Reply #10 on: Jan 01, 2007, 02:27 AM »
There are no good places on Boysen to catch a Fish.  It's fished out, and the G&F said that they were not going to restock it until the drought is over.  Shame too, cause it used to be a good place to catch a fish or two.  Oh, I suppose if you want to catch a limit of 4lb rainbows you could go over there.  Ice is bad and the wind makes the place absolutely miserable. But you may be able to dredge up a few.  Oh, and I have heard of some people catching a limit of perch, or occasionally some crappies. But that only happens when the fish are biting. Once in a while, an "old timer" may catch a walleye or two. I have also seen several real nice stringers of catfish caught out of there. They caught some slobs last year in January. Oh did I tell you that the world record Ice caught Walleye was caught out of Boysen. 17.42 lbs She is mounted and is located up at the State Park headquarters.  Ling, oh yes ling.  Did I mention ling??? Holy cow did I catch some nice ling out of there. Course that was last year.  Gonna have to fish over in the Green River drainage this year though. Sounds to me like all the ling went over there to spend the winter.  Yeppers, looks like Boysen will be a waste of time this year.  OH Well,  good luck to ya, and don't catch them all.   Ocean lake, oh ocean lake, Ex LT caught all the fish out of there, so I wouldn't even bother.

laters

The Cator.
All tyranny needs to succeed, is for men of good conscience to remain silent.    Thomas Jefferson.

Offline LT

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Jan 01, 2007, 09:01 AM »
Haaaaaaah!!!!  :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: :tipup:
                  Ooooh..that's FUNNY, Cator! el-teeeeee

Offline Ratso

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #12 on: Jan 01, 2007, 11:27 AM »
I am thinking about bringing the pop up down there and camping for a few days. I've never tried the pop up camper in the winter :o
I hope I'm not in for serious shrinkage at night ;D  The camper has a heater , but with the wind and real low temps, it may be interesting.

Anybody else ever tried the pop up in the middle of winter? 

Not to change the subject off ice fishing, but I'd love to bring the 22-250 for coyotes and make it a combo trip.  Can you hunt around Boysen/Ocean? Is there enough public land around the areas to make it worth while?

Thanks Guys !

PS- Cator I don't mind fishing for Ex-Lt's throw away scrap fish, we'll see if we can't round up any leftovers 8)

Offline LT

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Jan 01, 2007, 12:27 PM »
Ratso...there is at least one big ole leftover wally...he got off the hook  just before I could get him onto the ice and I went down the hole after him  :woot: .....unsucessfully, brrrrrr. Good luck, shoot me a note before you go, might be able to stop and say hi  ;D
                                         LT

Offline Reeldeal

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Jan 01, 2007, 12:53 PM »
Ratso, I used a popup truck camper the the last two years with temps reaching 12 below and stayed plenty warm. I traded it in this year on a fifth wheel and wish I didn't trade it in. It was real handy for a couple of guys and I could set up anywhere I could get my truck.

Offline Ratso

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #15 on: Jan 01, 2007, 01:15 PM »
Ex-Lt,

I would have done the same thing, diving down the hole after a nice eye :D You have to do what you have to do ! I'll shoot you an email before I head out, hopefully you'll be able to stop by and grab a cup of coffee....or something resembling coffee.

Reeldeal,

I have to say those perch are some toads  :o Are those from Boysen? Man, I'd be happy with their little brothers or sisters.  I might give the pop up a try,what the heck, if anything it will be an adventure and learning experience.

Offline LT

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #16 on: Jan 01, 2007, 01:44 PM »
Roger that! Seize ya!  ;D BTW, you'' do fine with the popup.
                                             LT

Offline Reeldeal

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Jan 02, 2007, 08:03 AM »
Ratso, those perch were caught on Super Bowl Sunday Last year. Me and a buddy caught our limit that day and didn't get home till half time. I had 4 of them mounted together. ;D

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.