The ice fishing WY board is sponsored by:

Author Topic: Keeping ice-holes from freezing  (Read 5279 times)

Offline LT

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • "Need larger flamethrower, you will...!"
Keeping ice-holes from freezing
« on: Dec 22, 2006, 02:47 PM »
      When I was out at Ocean last night, there were a couple o' guys with those circular freezeless tipups ...I was clearing 1/4 inch every hour (10 degrees w/7 mph wind) and they never touched theirs.   :woot:I really like my Frabills so a thought crossed my mind...gotta be a way to convert them, so I went over to Bloedorn's and they had a busted sheet of that 3/4 foam insulation which I got for six clams, cut it into 10 X 10 squares, then incised a 2 1/2 inch hole in the middle. I figger it might be a lil cumbersome, but less than trying to chop 1/4 inch of ice outta the hole when I have a flag... :clap: danged circular ones are $24.00 each! Anybody out there ever try something like this?
                                       The ex-Lteeee    :thumbsup:

Offline bohman77

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Keeping ice-holes from freezing
« Reply #1 on: Dec 22, 2006, 02:57 PM »
I have heard that works but I have never tried it before. I have never really liked tip-ups because of the maintenance factor of them. I did buy two of those artic warrior fishing rod tip-ups to use and we will see. Hope those work. I was hoping to go to Ocean lake today but I have to work. Oh well good luck.

Offline LT

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Dec 22, 2006, 03:10 PM »
     Well, I won't know until Monday or so, my honey doesn't complain too much about th' excessive days spent fishing, but I do try to spend an equal amount of time with her and that would mean this holiday wkd....she really likes the wally filets, so that's a plus in my fishing-favor. I have a flat shovel that I'll clear the hole with before I set the rig down, but I'll be surprised if it fails to work.  :tipup:
     I lost a 2 pounder in the hole last night...yeppers, went right down that hole after him, mitten and all...laughed at me as he swam awaaaaaay.

Offline 4cator

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Will ya look at that pig!!
« Reply #3 on: Dec 22, 2006, 04:10 PM »
Just drink lots of beer, and coffee.  Then pee in hole every half hour or so. Works great!!!!! ;)
All tyranny needs to succeed, is for men of good conscience to remain silent.    Thomas Jefferson.

Offline LT

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Dec 22, 2006, 04:16 PM »
     ...and this you no doubt learned from our mutual buddy the 4 X 4 Elk-man who, by the way still refuses to tell the truck-wreck story. $3K damages...that's at least a broken tail-light. hee-hee ...Is a shot of Rebel Yell whiskey in my hot coffee a suitable substitute fer beer?????
                                             el-Teeeeee  :tipup:
oh yeah, wallys fer supper tomorrow night! 

Offline 4x4elk

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Dec 22, 2006, 04:19 PM »
4cator I knew them holes smelled fishy after you had been there!!! :D
exlt i was at sportsmans last weekend and seen something like that it was foam cut round with a slit and a hole in the middle!! about 2.00 a piece. :tipup: :tipup:
FIND'EM, CATCH'EM, FILLET'EM, GRILL'EM & EAT'EM

Offline LT

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Dec 22, 2006, 04:33 PM »
No kiddin'...so I guess I'm on the right track 4 X 4...sheesh, if it just cut down on how many times you gotta bust the holes open after dark...I'm tellin' ya, them trips way out onto that cold ice to pee in the holes...dunno, I'm willing to try...guess if I can go down the hole after a run-a-way wally... :tipup:

Offline 4cator

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Dec 22, 2006, 04:39 PM »
Quit losin them wally's  Patience is the key, ( I lost a slob the other night because of lack of).  Let em slurp it in.
All tyranny needs to succeed, is for men of good conscience to remain silent.    Thomas Jefferson.

Offline Bailbuster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Dec 22, 2006, 04:40 PM »
I wish we had holes in the to freeze!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Catching big fish is like winning the door prize!
Have to be there to win!!!!

Offline 4x4elk

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Dec 22, 2006, 04:41 PM »
ex lt here it is! it was about 10:30 in the morning and i had not seen an elk!! then i crossed a little creek and there they were several bulls and a ton of cows 5 shot's later i was chasing them. there was mud and snow and a truck i was not used to.. I hit a badger hole and the over burden of another one and we were off sliding down the hill towards the fence :o :o!! by the time i got it shut down i was damn near i the other side of the fence. the barb wire was from front marker light to the rear tail light. :'( then i had to call my wife and explain to her what happend and tell her no i missed the elk. the real sh!tty part was it still had the new sticker on it ;D

4cator that's not what kelly told us!!!

Offline Bailbuster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Dec 22, 2006, 04:43 PM »
I left out the word " ICE " we don't have any!!!!BB

Catching big fish is like winning the door prize!
Have to be there to win!!!!

Offline 4cator

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Dec 22, 2006, 04:43 PM »
Did you ask Kelly about the one he pulled the lips off of  :D

Offline 4x4elk

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Dec 22, 2006, 04:45 PM »
He said he was just tring to get in good with the new boss!! :roflmao: :roflmao:

Offline Ocean Eyes

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Dec 22, 2006, 04:49 PM »
ex lt here it is! it was about 10:30 in the morning and i had not seen an elk!! then i crossed a little creek and there they were several bulls and a ton of cows 5 shot's later i was chasing them. there was mud and snow and a truck i was not used to.. I hit a badger hole and the over burden of another one and we were off sliding down the hill towards the fence :o :o!! by the time i got it shut down i was d**n near i the other side of the fence. the barb wire was from front marker light to the rear tail light. :'( then i had to call my wife and explain to her what happend and tell her no i missed the elk. the real sh!tty part was it still had the new sticker on it ;D

4cator that's not what kelly told us!!!

He forgot to mention that the Elk were behind the fence (tame elk), he was out of bullets (normal for him), he was a little upset for missing the Elk (tame) at 40 yards and thought he could just run one over.  That's the rest of the story!!!!

Offline 4x4elk

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Dec 22, 2006, 04:50 PM »
 :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao:

Offline 4cator

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Dec 22, 2006, 04:53 PM »
Oh, by the by, Don, that is a very nice article in Bugle.  Well done, and well said.

:tipup:

Offline LT

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #16 on: Dec 22, 2006, 05:01 PM »
Hey thanks, I appreciate that. It was fun to write, but not to experience. That's some paradox, how guys like us who've killed a "herd" of deer over the years we've hunted, fret over one deer with its leg near shot off. Go figger. Thank you for those kind words.
                                    Don

Offline LT

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #17 on: Dec 22, 2006, 05:06 PM »
:roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao:
Oh oh... 4 X 4's discovered the "more" button and he's laughin' at us! I suppose sharing your elk steaks with him just became a dead issue.  I'd like to say I killed one too, but we're still eating on that big bull from last year. ;D

Offline 4x4elk

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Dec 22, 2006, 05:58 PM »
You're killing me I was laughing at kr's rest of the story

Offline LT

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #19 on: Dec 22, 2006, 06:03 PM »
Whoooops!  ;D Lt muff  :callcops: dumbcops!

Offline 4cator

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #20 on: Dec 22, 2006, 06:04 PM »
Speaking of eatin, I whupped up a batch of moosie stew the other night.  Threw a little deer in for good measure. The kids destroyed the stuff, even wifey had several bowls. Wanted to save some to take for work,  NOT!!!!! :P

Offline LT

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #21 on: Dec 22, 2006, 06:10 PM »
Man that sounds great! BTW guys, you know Willie Zimmer? writes the Outdoor stuff for the Casper Tribune? He e-mailed and ask me to write an outdoor shortie..a New Years fishing resolution, not a long piece but very entertaining. He said it would be out this coming week...mine and a few others with Willie narrating. Stew recipe was what reminded me of it...I mentioned at the end of the story about Laura's killer ling recipe...ain't caught one since and there was a time I couldn't keep em off my line. Make ya a deal, I'll post the ling if you post the stew...LT

Offline 4cator

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #22 on: Dec 22, 2006, 06:16 PM »
Well, a maybe next time we are out there, I just whup up a batch and we shall partake.

and of course smack a few eyes.  :tipup:

Offline rumdrinker

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #23 on: Dec 22, 2006, 07:54 PM »
Well back to the subject, a couple years ago i had alot of spare plywood and some foam bed matting.  So we decided to make some hole covers by gluing them to the plywood cutting them into 13' squares. 
They worked great, we were fishing in 10 below weather and left them overnight and just had to chip away about a half inch of ice, so they defintaly work.

Did you have any luck at ocean?? :tipup:

Offline LT

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #24 on: Dec 22, 2006, 08:04 PM »
Well rumdrinker, that gets me all worked up about my lil whatchacallits. Can't wait to use 'em, cause what other reason to get outta the truck or camper than to catch a flag...or chip off the danged ice!
     Ocean, yep, caught one good wally and 2 big ole perch and went down the icehole after another wally that come off on the lip o' the ice. That north side around Dickinson is good...so is the outlet but it's only 3-4 ft of water with a big pressure ridge not too far out. Thing is, all my perch have been big ones, 11-12 inches and chunky.  ;D

Offline LT

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #25 on: Dec 22, 2006, 08:05 PM »
Well, a maybe next time we are out there, I just whup up a batch and we shall partake.

and of course smack a few eyes.  :tipup:
...sounds like a tasty plan. Yep. won't be any o' that Rebel Yell whsikey left though.

Offline Cargo

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #26 on: Dec 23, 2006, 06:15 AM »
4cator,
          Did you say whup up a batch of Moose I'll be there too! I have been trying to keep up on this Elk story that 4x4elk almost got! The barb wire and new truck thing sounds real bad. That's quite the story. Maybe ex-lt can write that up and send it in??? The badger hole and his truck flying in the air while he trying to get a round in the chamber!!! Sounds more like the Dukes of Hazard to me!
         I'm really lost on the rippin the lips off and he was trying to get in good with the boss!@#$%^

ex-lt,
        It was great visiting with you last night. But I have done just about what rumdrinker did with plywood hole covers. The only problem I see with the foam is when it freezes down it comes up in pieces.

ex, One more thing I have always enjoyed watching someone go up to the elbow or arm pit after a fish down the hole, Ive been there, but you can look at that person all day and just laugh because it takes soooo long for that sleeve to dry out. What we will do for a fish! heeee  heeee

Offline 4x4elk

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #27 on: Dec 23, 2006, 08:25 AM »
Big ice we were talking about a F.N.G. that we work with and 4cator taking him out fishing in the dark :o

Offline LT

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #28 on: Dec 23, 2006, 09:26 AM »
Well yeah, Big Ice-man, that wet sleeve was a part of it, but the most annoying thing was missing the wally, then that danged icewater was so cold, I just instinctively jammed my wet paw back into that warm (now wet) mitten without stopping to THINK!
   :woot:   ...4cator, what th' hecks an "FNG" ? ...and do you get extra points fer takin' one ice fishing in the dark? And hey all of my friends here on the iceshanty, let me say, Merry and blessed Christmas to all of you and yours!  :thumbsup:
    GOtta share this with ya before I close out...my honey loves to hunt. Well, she drove over to Ocean the other day to visit me (since I'm rarely home these days) and I let her look at a big ole flock of 1000 geese with my Brunton binoculars. She near about wouln't let em go, drooled on 'em and all. What she didn't know as that weeks ago, I caught a sale on them, half-price, and there's a nice pair giftwrapped under the tree.   :clap:This'll be one Christmas I won't wonder if I gave her the right gift...up to now, she's been hunting with them lil bird-watching things of hers...Tight lines, my warmly bundled friends, tight, happy lines!
                                               Don   :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao:

Offline 4cator

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #29 on: Dec 23, 2006, 09:52 AM »
FNG is the F%#king new guy at work. He will soon be a shanty member, or I won't take him out in the dark anymore.

Merry Christmas and happy holidays and a very joyous  Hannakristmanoelkwanzi ka to all.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.