The ice fishing WY board is sponsored by:

Author Topic: Boysen Ice?  (Read 9791 times)

Offline LT

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • "Need larger flamethrower, you will...!"
Re: Boysen Ice?
« Reply #30 on: Dec 11, 2006, 10:16 PM »
Does, sure does, thx Wyoice...BTW, I hit Ocean late today, 1 perch, 1 wally, lost a 2d wally...wind was blowing 40 mph...blew a full ice chest across the lake almost to the bank...coooold...

Offline bohman77

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #31 on: Dec 12, 2006, 09:12 AM »
I guess my buddy went to Ocean the other day and him and another guy caught a bunch of perch and 7 walleyes. THey were fishing by the big point.

Offline LT

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #32 on: Dec 12, 2006, 09:16 AM »
...probably Long Point on the west side?  ;D
                                     ex-Elteeeeeee  :tipup:

Offline bohman77

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #33 on: Dec 12, 2006, 12:10 PM »
He told me that they were all caught on tip-ups in about 8fow. Is anyone have reports about Boysen in terms of walleyes? Thanks

Bill Bohman

Offline bohman77

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #34 on: Dec 12, 2006, 10:25 PM »
Hello fellow Ice fisher-people. Has anyone heard about the ice conditions out at boysen and ocean since all this warm weather? I would be willing to bet that its still ok but I wasnt sure. Also does anyone use Salmo Chubby Darters and if so how do they like them?   

Offline LT

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #35 on: Dec 12, 2006, 10:31 PM »
I was at Boysen last....Friday and the bays are frozen good with 5-6 inches of solid ice, but it looks like open areas such as Fremont Bay, which is hardly a "bay" at all had 3 inches of rather bad ice on it. I walked out about fifty feet and got tired of jumping ice-floes and counted myself lucky for not getting wet.  :woot: Plus, temps were supposed to be in the thirties through Friday, but they're predicting closer now to the high forties. I'm sticking with Ocean till we get some cooler daytime highs.
                                  exLteeeeeeeee  :tipup:

Offline sledneck

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #36 on: Dec 13, 2006, 06:27 AM »
Hello fellow Ice fisher-people. Has anyone heard about the ice conditions out at boysen and ocean since all this warm weather? I would be willing to bet that its still ok but I wasnt sure. Also does anyone use Salmo Chubby Darters and if so how do they like them?   

I am curious about the Salmo Chubby Darters as well. Hopefully somone will help us out with some good info.

Offline SLAYERFISH

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #37 on: Dec 13, 2006, 11:07 AM »
I have both Chubby darters and Jiggin' Rapalas and they both s@ck!   I rarely have much luck, I dont have confidence in them I suppose!
Love Me or Hate Me-
All Metal all the Time!

Offline icemonster

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #38 on: Dec 13, 2006, 11:30 PM »
I plan on hitting Boysen this weekend. Dose anyone know if Fremont Bay is fishable yet? Hows the bite down lower?

Offline LT

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #39 on: Dec 14, 2006, 09:15 AM »
Twas 3 inches of idiot ice    :woot:  last Friday afternoon on Fremont, sun beating down on it. I walked out on it, but it was like jumping from VW-sized ice-gfloe to VW ice-floe.  Temps climbed to 45 over there yesterday, my guess would be with the stretch of highs...iffy-ice. But I noticed the enclosed bays were a good 5, but again, this warm daytime stretch is killin' us....that guy at the state parkl office keeps pretty cvlose tabs on it though...ex-Lteeeeee  ;D

Offline Dr Hook

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #40 on: Dec 14, 2006, 08:41 PM »
This is my first time on here.  I love ice fishing but I'm stuck here in Eastern Colo and there is never any ice.  My sons and I, along with my brother-in-law, end up at Lake John every January for 3 or 4 days, but we're tired of catching only trout.  We'd like to plan a trip to Boysen in early January.  Is the 2nd weekend in January too early?  Are there campgrounds open at the lake?  Is there bait available at the lake?  Any dangerous spots to be avoided?  How's the highway there from Casper?  Any info at all would be greatly appreciated.
                                                                Dr Hook

Offline LT

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #41 on: Dec 14, 2006, 09:47 PM »
Dr Hook, probably that time in Jan would be fine, we keep looking at the daytime temps and thinking, this has gotta end soon, but it just keeps on hanging on. Plenty facilities for camping, several restaurants in Shoshoni, the Wrangler comes to mind for brkfst, lunch, dinner (just as you are leaving town, left side of hwy going toward Riverton... you might want to avoid tent-camping at all costs...10 tow 20 below zero at night then... Bait at B&K near the west entrance to the park...a few thousand yards above the causeway toward Riverton. Hwy from Casper is good, may be icy, snowy or both in mid-Jan...Actually there's a good 5-6 inches of ice in the protected bays now, although it gets really slick with the noon sun beating down on it...Dangerous spots? Hmmmm...if this year is anything like last year, there are a lot of pressure ridges forming...about 9 last year, maybe more this year. Be careful around them...open water, no fun. need more info? Just ask,  ;D
                                    The ex-Lt  :callcops:

Offline SLAYERFISH

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #42 on: Dec 15, 2006, 08:55 AM »
This is my first time on here.  I love ice fishing but I'm stuck here in Eastern Colo and there is never any ice.  My sons and I, along with my brother-in-law, end up at Lake John every January for 3 or 4 days, but we're tired of catching only trout.  We'd like to plan a trip to Boysen in early January.  Is the 2nd weekend in January too early?  Are there campgrounds open at the lake?  Is there bait available at the lake?  Any dangerous spots to be avoided?  How's the highway there from Casper?  Any info at all would be greatly appreciated.
                                                                Dr Hook

3 of us did the exact same trip last year on MLK weekend.  I have a pop-up on the Dodge and we camped at I think North Muddy Creek C.G.  We had a couple snowmobiles but ya dont really need 'em.   It was our 1st time icin Boysen and we caught perch, a burbot, and a bunch of 18"-22" bobo's.   It was a blast.  The road from Casper is fine but a little dark at night(imagine that).  Almost hit several deer but I managed to go in between them :o. I highly recomend the trip!
Love Me or Hate Me-
All Metal all the Time!

Offline rumdrinker

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #43 on: Dec 17, 2006, 08:30 PM »
Well I finally made it up to Boysen, not bad for the first trip and as limited as I was for places to go, but I fished off libby point and my partner and I caugt 3 nice trout, 4 Ling and a perch.  No eyes yet but as the ice starts to set up on the northern part of the lake I will give that a shot!! :tipup:

Offline bohman77

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #44 on: Dec 17, 2006, 08:59 PM »
Did you guys set up w/ tip ups or were you jigging. It seems that I can only catch them on tip ups. I was just curious as to what everybodies favorite tactic for ice fish. It doesnt matter what species, I was just curious.

Bill Bohman

Offline LT

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #45 on: Dec 17, 2006, 09:01 PM »
Rumdrinker, was Fremont Bay pretty solid? How much ice?
                                          LT

Offline rumdrinker

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #46 on: Dec 17, 2006, 09:46 PM »
There was a good 6-8" on Fremont, there was a group with 4 four wheelers out there yesterday.  So the ice is pretty solid, just be careful around the pressure ridges, they were starting to open up bit from the warm weather.  But I think winter is finally here so we can get some good ice!!

Offline R.J.

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • It must be that time again!
« Reply #47 on: Dec 17, 2006, 11:16 PM »
Hey, I'm ready to come up and hit it!  Sharpen the blades, Ex-Lt!!!  Won't be long now!

Offline LT

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #48 on: Dec 18, 2006, 09:06 AM »
Bring it, RJ, bring it!  :roflmao:
                                ex-Lteeeeeee  :clap:

Offline R.J.

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • It must be that time again!
« Reply #49 on: Dec 19, 2006, 04:30 PM »
Oh, I'll be bringin' it Lou!  You just make sure that new Vex knows where the perch are!  And a nice walleye spot would be just fine by me as well!  ;D

My latest intel says it will be MLK weekend once again!!

Offline LT

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #50 on: Dec 19, 2006, 07:08 PM »
Alrighttttttt!! Maybe you can teach me to use mine! Looking fwd to it, ice is good, weather's finally dropping down to hardwater-acceptable...yeppers,  :roflmao:
                                        Theeee ex-Lteeeeeee yahoo!  :thumbsup:
...now if I can just find a soft-water spot ta put my minner trap... :woot:

Offline rumdrinker

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #51 on: Dec 21, 2006, 08:32 PM »
Hey LT,
Have you ever tried the Popo Agie, I had a friend trap there, he always said it was hit and miss but was able to get a few from the river.....

Offline rumdrinker

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #52 on: Dec 21, 2006, 08:36 PM »
Hey has any one been up on the north end of the boysen yet, when I was out last weekend it was still open.  Just wonding if it fishable yet I want to try the north end a little more this year???

Offline bohman77

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #53 on: Dec 22, 2006, 02:04 PM »
In response to your north end ice I havent a clue, but when it does freeze it offers some incredible opportunities for ling,perch and trout. We didnt catch any walleyes or sauger but according to reports neither did a lot of people last year. We had easlily 50-60 fish days with ling, and countless perch and every trout we caught was over 4 lbs. I even caught a 7 lb brown it was awesome. If you folks are wondering we only kept a couple ling and few perch and all trout were released.  I cant wait until its frozen up there again.

Bill Bohman

Offline LT

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #54 on: Dec 22, 2006, 02:39 PM »
Hey LT,
Have you ever tried the Popo Agie, I had a friend trap there, he always said it was hit and miss but was able to get a few from the river.....
     Naaah...I'm in area 2b which runs from the Boysen Dam and above to the res boundary. Nearly all the rivers in that area are on private land.
                                      LT

Offline 4cator

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Will ya look at that pig!!
« Reply #55 on: Dec 22, 2006, 04:41 PM »
I was told they have been smackin some nice eyes in fremont, but I am very skeptical. In fact I call B.S.   I will have to see it first.
All tyranny needs to succeed, is for men of good conscience to remain silent.    Thomas Jefferson.

Offline LT

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #56 on: Dec 22, 2006, 06:04 PM »
I agree, I'd be really surprised...

Offline rumdrinker

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #57 on: Dec 23, 2006, 07:48 PM »
Hey guys,
I just got back from Tough Creek and the ice is not that thick yet, I was on 4-6".  So if you are out there and on 4 wheelers I would really be careful or think about walking out there!!  But the perch fishing was good!!! :tipup:

Offline bohman77

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #58 on: Dec 23, 2006, 07:52 PM »
That is great news. I cant wait to fish Tough Creek this year. I heard that the whole lake had a cap on it. Is that true? Great job out there. Were you fishing jigs or tip-ups.

Bill Bohman

Offline rumdrinker

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #59 on: Dec 23, 2006, 09:47 PM »
I am not sure, I asume that the entire lake is covered, the fog was really heavy today while I was out there....

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.