The ice fishing WY board is sponsored by:

Author Topic: Boysen Ice?  (Read 9786 times)

Offline bohman77

• Team IceShanty Regular
Boysen Ice?
« on: Dec 03, 2006, 07:29 PM »
He folks, this is my first post and I am happy to be a part of this forum. I was curious as to the ice conditions at Boysen and Ocean Lake. Im stuck down in Pueblo CO for a hazmat class for the Casper Fire Department. I obviously  live in Casper and I am stuck down here for another week but when I get back I was hoping to be able to ice fish.
Can anyone help with some info. Thanks a bunch folks.

Bill Bohman

Offline LT

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • "Need larger flamethrower, you will...!"
Re: Boysen Ice?
« Reply #1 on: Dec 03, 2006, 08:51 PM »
I was out on Boysen busting bunnies a few days ago and there was no ice even though temps had dropped to the teens and this weeek it's supposed to be below zero a few nights and not much above twenty. Ocean might have some on the protected bays but I wouldn't go out on it at this point. I think....and this is what I'm trying to find out...Big Sandy might be iced really good.
                                            ex-Lt

Offline bohman77

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Dec 03, 2006, 09:46 PM »
Where is Big Sandy located. Thanks for the reply. Whats that outlook on the Lake this year in terms of Walleyes. Do you think that it will be productive this year.

Thanks
Bill Bohman

Offline LT

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Dec 03, 2006, 10:38 PM »
Big Sandy's just north of Farson and there's a rec area sign on the highway, accessible all year, but I'm not sure there's ice yet...dunno about Wallys, probably as good/better than last year w/low ater levels.
                                           LT

Offline LT

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Dec 04, 2006, 12:01 PM »
Okay, here it is, new intel, Ocean, according to several of my sources, has ice on it, G&F lady said she;s not certain how much but her Game Warden husband saw guys out on it  ??? ...Lloyd over at Boysen State Park told me there's ice on the south end of the lake and some on Poison Creek and all the way up to Fremont Bay  :clap:...I'm gonna give it a few more days and instead head to Big Sandy Res where I hear there's 9 inches.  :thumbsup:
                                          ex-Lt  :callcops:  :tipup: LT not much on thin ice...

Offline Wyoming_Ice

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice Fishing God's Country "Big Wounderful Wyoming"
« Reply #5 on: Dec 04, 2006, 06:20 PM »
HEY EX LT,
LET US KNOW HOW YOU FAIR ON THE BIG SANDY.
I AM HOPING TO GET OVER THERE IN A FEW WEEKS.
THANKS,
 WYO ICE
RIP "LT"   This place just won't be the same...

Offline rumdrinker

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Dec 04, 2006, 07:45 PM »
Sounds good for fishing around teh riverton area, I will be up there next week to check out ocean!!

Offline LT

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Dec 04, 2006, 08:04 PM »
HEY EX LT,
LET US KNOW HOW YOU FAIR ON THE BIG SANDY.
I AM HOPING TO GET OVER THERE IN A FEW WEEKS.
THANKS,
 WYO ICE
     Well, I got over there late (honey-do's) about 2 pm had sveral hits and finally caught about a 20 inch ling,  :thumbsup: put him back, if I can't stick my fist in their mouth, I won't keep 'em...although somebody who lives over there told me they were REQUIRED to keep the first 3 they catch   :woot:...anybody know anything about that??? Anyway, the ice was a solid 9-10 inches all over, roads pretty clear at 10 degrees. Nice! I needed that! I fished off that first point you come to right after you cross the dam, west side of it, got him in 15 ft of water. Good dry run for the new VXR although I must admit, I think it's going to take a while for me to learn to use it efficiently. I'd really like to know about that area 4 ling requirement if anybody knows.
                                     the ex-Lt  :callcops:

Offline bohman77

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Dec 04, 2006, 09:11 PM »
Well that is some great news folks. It sounds like if the weather doesnt get to warm during the day and it keeps freezing at night, ice fishing season is kicked off. Thank you ex lt for the info, its so hard to find up to date fishing reports in wyoming. This time of year its so useful to have info, due to ever changing conditions. How big is Big Sandy Reservoir, and is it a deep lake w/ a lot of rocks and drop off's. Whats a good area to start at. Thanks for all the info. Ex Lt how do you like your aqua view sonar? I have an vex fl-18 and I dont know how I fished so many years w/o it. I just bought a camera this year w/ the temp on the screen.

Bill Bohman

Offline LT

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Dec 04, 2006, 10:17 PM »
Big Sandy drops off drastically from the bank of that point near the dam (the one with all the bushes on it) from 10 ft right at the bank to 40-plus out 50 yards...you'll just have to x-periment mostly. It's 40-plus off the dam face and pretty filthy with ling...don't know if anybody's caught bows or browns.   BTW, great thing about this "WYoming" site is we'll get to share info on places within striking distance of our danged tipups!!!
                                                LT  :tipup: :tipup: :tipup:

Offline rumdrinker

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Dec 04, 2006, 10:20 PM »
I love my vexlar, I am not sure how I got buy with out mine, well yea I do it was alot of beer ;D.  But I did not care for my camera that much.  I had a aqua view camera and as many different waters I fished last year, some were cloudy and some were clear. So I put mine on ebay and I am just sticking by with my my vexilar.  Although I am excited I bough an Ice Shanty and am looking forward to fishing in that for those windy and cold days on boysen.  Well I am getting really excited about boysen and hopefully I will make it up next weekend to atleast try ocean. :tipup:

Offline Bigred1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Dec 04, 2006, 11:13 PM »
Ex-Lt,  ling in the Green River drainage is not a good thing.  The green does not support the feed sources that the North Platte and Wind River drainages do.  We don`t have perch, walleye, or other warmer water minnows that are present in these drainages.   The ling and walleye that some uneducated idiot decided should be there will probably cause serious harm if not the destruction of one heck of good trout and mac fishery.

In answer to your question about keeping ling, you broke the law when you returned that fish to water alive.  The orders state that all ling caught in the Green River drainage will be killed immediately.  The limit is 25 per day.  I don`t know what you do if you catch 26 ling, but thats a problem I hope to have since the danged things are getting pretty thick in the northern regions of the gorge.

Offline bohman77

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Dec 04, 2006, 11:18 PM »
I have a Clam Yukon Trap that I love. Its light enough to carry down the bank if you have to but sturdy enough to hold up. Has anyone ever used the Salmo Chubby Darters. I bought a few last year and I cant wait to use them. Thanks for the info on where to fish in Big Sandy. I'll have to give it a try.

Bill Bohman

Offline bohman77

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Dec 04, 2006, 11:28 PM »
Does anybody fish the trees off to the east side of the sister islands. We fished there last year but only caught a few perch. I was hoping to target the feeder creeks on the north and south side of tough creek, and also between the badwater and tough creek areasa. Does anyone have any suggestions as to tactics and depth's. I dont have a map and I dont know where to find one if there is a map. Thanks. Any help w/ Ocean would be great also. We managed 5 eyes last year by the outlet by the big point. Does anyone else have any ideas about other areas in the lake.

Bill Bohman

Offline rumdrinker

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Dec 04, 2006, 11:41 PM »
It will be a little different fishing those waters now with the water levels down, it should be eaiser to find structure points.  But I had good luck with perch and crappie around the islands.  I caught some big cats out of there a couple years ago.  But ifyou are looking for perch, get into the flats about 30 feet - 50 feet.  Just drill a bunch of holes and drop your vexilar in each hole to see if you see any activy on the bottom.  I usually find a hole and stick with it all day.  I have only caught a couple walleye around the islands, to me it seems hit and miss.

As far as the map, go down to rocky mountain and they have some really good maps now that show GPS grids on it.  Definatly worth the seven bucks!! :tipup:

Offline LT

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Dec 05, 2006, 09:10 AM »
Ex-Lt,  ling in the Green River drainage is not a good thing.  The green does not support the feed sources that the North Platte and Wind River drainages do.  We don`t have perch, walleye, or other warmer water minnows that are present in these drainages.   The ling and walleye that some uneducated idiot decided should be there will probably cause serious harm if not the destruction of one heck of good trout and mac fishery.

In answer to your question about keeping ling, you broke the law when you returned that fish to water alive.  The orders state that all ling caught in the Green River drainage will be killed immediately.  The limit is 25 per day.  I don`t know what you do if you catch 26 ling, but thats a problem I hope to have since the danged things are getting pretty thick in the northern regions of the gorge.
     That's the intel I was asking for and I thank you for it. I know the wardens are pretty p***** about it and that's understandable. In my previous post I was simply citing that there should be no reason for confusion about how they eventually made their way to Fontenelle...I suppose that also accounts for the lil dead 12-incher I noticed on the ice. Now I know. But just for the information of all who may read this post, I checked the area 4 regs before I went over there and there was no mention of any special regs on Big Sandy reservoir, also I've fished it in years past and the limit was 3, but keeping was not mandatory. After 25 years in law enforcement, I wouldn't intentionally violate a fishing reg!   :woot: If that's the law and I do not doubt what you said, it should be written in the area 4 regs with Big Sandy listed. Again...I thank you.
                                                            The ex-Lt  :callcops:

Offline LT

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #16 on: Dec 05, 2006, 10:10 AM »
He folks, this is my first post and I am happy to be a part of this forum. I was curious as to the ice conditions at Boysen and Ocean Lake. Im stuck down in Pueblo CO for a hazmat class for the Casper Fire Department. I obviously  live in Casper and I am stuck down here for another week but when I get back I was hoping to be able to ice fish.
Can anyone help with some info. Thanks a bunch folks.

Bill Bohman
Bill, sorry for not doing this earler, welcome to the site, this can be a lot of fun!
                                                   ex-Lt (Don) Lander

Offline Bigred1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Dec 05, 2006, 12:58 PM »
No offense intended ex-Lt.  I just get a little worked up about my fishing, especially when someone tries to out think the professionals and stock ling and walleye where the fish haven`t managed to get themselves in the last millennium or two.  The on-line regs found on the Wy game and fish site have the ling limit on them, at least thats were I found them. 

I am going to try and make it up to the Big Sandy res. this weekend and see if I can`t use your intell and catch a few of those stray but tasty rouges.

Again sorry if any offence was taken,  Bigred1

Offline LT

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #18 on: Dec 05, 2006, 01:18 PM »
Bigred1....we've all met cops who bent the traffic/game and fish regs.  >:(   I've always believed we had to be squeaky-clean about it. No offense taken and please take a look at my newest topic post re: "Ling in Green River Drainage" You might want to add that info about the G&F site to it as a reply...I'd never have looked for it there...look forward to corresponding with you in th' future and maybe stretching the lips 'o the ling at Big Sandy with you. Sled said he and his wife caught three over by the dam...I spent most o' my dam-day fooling with my VXR, it's new and I just haven't mastered it yet. BTW, I took a 13 pound ling  :roflmao: out of that spot last year...took him home, that is. Tight lines brother. BTW, what's behind the name Bigred1...military?
                                               ex-Lt  :callcops:

Offline Bigred1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #19 on: Dec 05, 2006, 01:37 PM »
No military, just 6`2'' 250 lbs and red hair.  Bigred was taken, so I added a 1.  I know something about coppers though, my son is on the Green River pd and really loves it and his job.  I am glad there was no offense taken.

Offline LT

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #20 on: Dec 06, 2006, 07:42 PM »
Ha! I'd say after I looked at it, you couldn't drag me out on it, but I did walk 50 yards out at Fremont Bay and talk to a couple of anglers, but you could feel it give under your feet.  :woot: There was already a lot of open fractures, 3 inches of ice, 2-3 inch space BETWEEEN chunks, but when it's that fracked up 40 sq feet and smaller of chunked ice with the sun hitting it...3 inches ain't enough! well, they said it was good and solid in the am though. I'd have been off that sucker by noon, sittin' in the pickup drinking coffee.  :roflmao:
      UPside is that there's a good solid 5 plus inches on Poison Creek, but since the water level has dropped, instead of fishing 8-9 ft of water you're in 3 or 3 1/2, four tops.
     Ocean is a killer 5-6 solid inches everywhere.  :thumbsup:
                                                    ex-Lt  :callcops:  :tipup:

Offline rumdrinker

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #21 on: Dec 06, 2006, 08:46 PM »
Well that is good news, I would never go out on 3", but that is just me.  Well I think I am going to try ocean next weekend. I think we will see better fishing out of ocean this year!!

Offline LT

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #22 on: Dec 06, 2006, 09:21 PM »
I gotta tell ya Rumdrinker, that was a butt-puckering walk for me...never agin...! BTW, I stopped at all the honey-holes in Ocean on the way back, good, solid five inches...guys were driving 4-wheelers on it. I punched a couple o' holes just to be there and have the experience...got there right before dark, just great!
                                          LT

Offline SLAYERFISH

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #23 on: Dec 07, 2006, 08:33 AM »
Lt- do you mind me asking why you weren't fishing?   If I walk on ice, i'll have at least 1 rod with a kasty on it!
Love Me or Hate Me-
All Metal all the Time!

Offline LT

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #24 on: Dec 07, 2006, 09:11 AM »
cluck, cluck...I've always walked on the edge in life as well as professionally,  :flex:  but this was just a lil too hinky even for me, jumping 3 inch ice floes,   :woot:  besides, I was there on a mission, get the intel I needed to write the article for the Lander Journal Outdoor page, "Ice Fishing Kicks off at Boysen." I thought I might like to actually live long enough to punch the keys on it.  :roflmao: Plus, I'm reluctant to publish a story which encourafges novices to go out there when I know the temps tomorrow are climbing to the 50's... I know, I know, you'll stand on the edge of a pressure ridge and fish open water.  ;D What a  guy!
                                              LT  :callcops: Later Slayer
ps, I actually DID go over and fish Ocean, but I had much ice to cover yesterday in a short time. Oh, you didn't know I retired and became a notorious writer?... then catch my article on page 121 of the month's Bugle. (Rocky Mt Elk Foundation magazine)

Offline SLAYERFISH

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #25 on: Dec 07, 2006, 02:31 PM »
Cool, I'll try and read ya!
Love Me or Hate Me-
All Metal all the Time!

Offline LT

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #26 on: Dec 07, 2006, 09:20 PM »
That article in the Lander Journal will be out this coming Wednesday, pretty comprehensive, with a quote from the Regional Supv of WY G&F and pics ...enjoy! I just can't believe I'm getting paid to write about fishing...hee-hee  ;D

Offline WYOiceman

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #27 on: Dec 11, 2006, 11:04 AM »
I went to Boysen yesterday and the ice at badwater is 4-6" good solid ice.
I only fished from 10:00am till about 3:00pm. I caught 2 ling about 3lbs and 6 perch.
I've heard the ice is good up to tough creek, but I haven't been up that way yet.
Has anyone been up to the birds-eye area yet? Is there any ice that far north?

Good luck to all!!!

Offline LT

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #28 on: Dec 11, 2006, 11:12 AM »
Wyoice, how the heck do you get to Badwater outta Shoshoni, last time I tried (last year) the road was closed.
                                       Elteeeeeee ;D

Offline WYOiceman

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #29 on: Dec 11, 2006, 11:25 AM »
Wyoice, how the heck do you get to Badwater outta Shoshoni, last time I tried (last year) the road was closed.
                                       Elteeeeeee ;D

Go past the mushroom farm, through the fence, take a right as soon as you go through the fence and follow the fenceline to the north, take the first left you come to (there are 2 two tracks)and head to the old concrete water tank, take a right at the water tank, take the 2nd left off of that and it will bring you in on the south side of badwater bay.
There is another road that you can take that will bring you in on the north side of the bay. If you are on the highway heading from Shoshoni to Thermop take the first left past the turn to Bonneville, stay on the mainest looking road, and you should go through a small tunnel to get under the tracks, then stay to the left and you should come between the cliffs that are out by the lake and some that are back in the bay.

Hope that this makes sense and is useful to you.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.