Author Topic: Pike Tips  (Read 4915 times)

Offline CFFuts

• IceShanty Rookie
Pike Tips
« on: Jan 11, 2007, 07:16 PM »
I'm headed up to Champlain in about a month (fingers crossed for ice) and I'm looking for some advice on rigs for Pike.  This is my second time ice fishing, so I have don't have a lot of ice time (4 days total - although I'm an avid fisherman) and am looking for some tips and advice. 

I was thinking of running the following setup:
- Heritage Laker Tip Up
- Line: was considering 20 lb braided Dacron - too heavy / light?
- Leader: line tied to a barrel swivel mated to a heavy wire leader
- Hooks: any size recomendation?  I was thinking circle hooks.
- Bait: we plan to use live shiners

Also, the tips ups are brand new.  Should I spray paint a clear Polyurethane on the exposed wood (before I setup my line) or is this going a bit too far?

Thx in advance for the tips.

Offline pike-perch01

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Pike Tips
« Reply #1 on: Jan 11, 2007, 08:27 PM »
i would recommend that you spray those tip ups.take them apart and do a nice job on them.you can leave the hardware on them just mask it off.as for the leader mat'l forget the heavy wire leader,use sevenstrand wire 18 lb. and for hooks treble hooks size eight or ten.welcome to ice fishing,but be careful it becomes an obsession.have a good time. :D

Offline pikekiller

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Love those toothy critters!
« Reply #2 on: Jan 11, 2007, 10:57 PM »
One tip about spraying poly on the tipups.  I would recommend you mask off the area where the wood pieces contact each other.  Some of my finished tipups will not tighten, because there is no friction between the wood pieces.  You might be able to put some kind of washer in there to get them to bind, but I would say just block off a small area around the bolt holes.  Yes, its a good idea to protect the wood with finish, but keep this problem in mind.  loose tipups are a pain.  other suggestions?
"You can't catch 'em from your living room!"

Offline brujharr

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Jan 16, 2007, 07:51 PM »
Let them break in! Any, maintenance now, will just a bad smell!  :-\  For the fish!

Offline pikekiller

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Jan 17, 2007, 07:23 AM »
I've been trying heavy flourocarbon leaders, with pretty good success.  the clear leader makes for a better presentation.  sometimes pike are hesitant, and this has increased my flags so far.  flourocarbon has good abrasion resistance, but I check for scuffs, and change the leader if I find any wear.  its easy enough to tie a bunch of these up in advance to keep with you on the ice.

Offline deadsmelthead

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Length 47 3/4 " Girth 24" NY Northern Pike
« Reply #5 on: Jan 17, 2007, 05:03 PM »
I've been trying heavy flourocarbon leaders, with pretty good success.  the clear leader makes for a better presentation.  sometimes pike are hesitant, and this has increased my flags so far.  flourocarbon has good abrasion resistance, but I check for scuffs, and change the leader if I find any wear.  its easy enough to tie a bunch of these up in advance to keep with you on the ice.
Same here, I use 30 lb and you only need about 2 1/2 feet, another thing over looked is not using the obvious bait thats already in the lake, when I am out pike fishing I am jiggin for perch, especialy the 4-8 inchers. You obviously can't not bring any, I usually get a dozen pike shiners to start but end up swithing all over to perch if I can. Pike can't turn them down  especialy if you hang them right under the ice.
TeamNumbnutts on youtube ... Subscribe !
https://m.youtube.com/results?q=teamnumbnutts&sm=3

Offline pikekiller

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Jan 17, 2007, 05:50 PM »
I usually get a dozen pike shiners to start but end up swithing all over to perch if I can. Pike can't turn them down  especialy if you hang them right under the ice.
Do you find that it matters if the perch are alive?  When I try this, they seem to die very shortly after hooking them.  I spoke with someone last year that said dead perch still work fine. Do you fish them just under the ice regardless of water depth, or do you typically only fish pike in shallow water? 

Offline Water Wolf

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice anglers walk on water.
« Reply #7 on: Jan 19, 2007, 12:32 AM »
I would also take a jigging rod or two, it's great to feel a strike from a big old pike and with the jigging rod you can keep tention on the fish. :)

For trophy pike try and find some of the largest bait you can find 12 - 15 inches is common. It could include large suckers, ciscos, smelt, anchovies or other oily fish {check with regulations first to see if there are restriction on baits used}.
If the bait is dead / frozen no worries, it can work just as well as live bait. ;)

WW

Offline pikekiller

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Jan 19, 2007, 07:06 AM »
Yes, jigging for pike is a blast!  I have a few heavy jig poles rigged just like my tipups, which sort of takes the finesse out of it.  I set the drag really loose and listen for the "music".  I do occasionally hook into one while hunting for panfish.  lost a few good swedish pimples like that.  I've managed some decent pike on 4 lb. line though.

Offline deadsmelthead

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Length 47 3/4 " Girth 24" NY Northern Pike
« Reply #9 on: Jan 19, 2007, 06:07 PM »
Do you find that it matters if the perch are alive?  When I try this, they seem to die very shortly after hooking them.  I spoke with someone last year that said dead perch still work fine. Do you fish them just under the ice regardless of water depth, or do you typically only fish pike in shallow water? 
Yeah you will get a couple that will die if your hooking them in the back, I put a treble right on the edge of the meaty section of their tail it makes them swim akward, wounded  whatever you want to call it. Dead perch will work well late ice  and you will find you will almost exclusively catch females on them we were useing half perch last year because we could jig any up, female after female after female and some realy big ones too.
TeamNumbnutts on youtube ... Subscribe !
https://m.youtube.com/results?q=teamnumbnutts&sm=3

Offline Doggz1

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Think like pike
« Reply #10 on: Jan 19, 2007, 06:20 PM »
I also use the flurocarbon leader and find it is much more productive that any steel leader.  80 lb tst is good (for the teeth) but kind of tough to tie a snell ( you'll get used to it).  Have had more flags with fluro than steelies and use them all the time now
Fish when I can

Offline Doggz1

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Think like pike
« Reply #11 on: Jan 19, 2007, 06:28 PM »
I'm headed up to Champlain in about a month (fingers crossed for ice) and I'm looking for some advice on rigs for Pike.  This is my second time ice fishing, so I have don't have a lot of ice time (4 days total - although I'm an avid fisherman) and am looking for some tips and advice. 

I was thinking of running the following setup:
- Heritage Laker Tip Up
- Line: was considering 20 lb braided Dacron - too heavy / light?
- Leader: line tied to a barrel swivel mated to a heavy wire leader
- Hooks: any size recomendation?  I was thinking circle hooks.
- Bait: we plan to use live shiners

Also, the tips ups are brand new.  Should I spray paint a clear Polyurethane on the exposed wood (before I setup my line) or is this going a bit too far?

Thx in advance for the tips.

One tip i could give you about pike fishing is this...you'll set up...sit....watch and wait. when u make your rounds to de-ice your holes or to check your bait do this:  lift your trap up and pull your bait out of the water...put it back in the hole right away..wait or walk back to your camp.  Flags could start flyin.  Ive notice that my flags happen more often if i lift the bait out and drop it back in (i think it catches the attention of a passing fish or entices a pike that was stalking it before you pulled it out.  It may be luck but its worth a try...good luck
Fish when I can

Offline Muskie Matt

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Throw'em back! & report abuse EPO # 800.632.8075
« Reply #12 on: Feb 06, 2007, 02:50 PM »
Good tip Doggz1!  I've noticed the same thing too.  It works well on thriggering pike that have been in the vacinity of your bait all day.

Offline deadbait dave

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • ><(((((((((((((((((((((o>
« Reply #13 on: Feb 06, 2007, 05:57 PM »
I also use the flurocarbon leader and find it is much more productive that any steel leader.  80 lb tst is good (for the teeth) but kind of tough to tie a snell ( you'll get used to it).  Have had more flags with fluro than steelies and use them all the time now
i crimp anything 80lb and up forget the knots!
trout make big pike fat and happy!

Offline Natwild

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Mar 11, 2007, 01:44 PM »
i crimp anything 80lb and up forget the knots!

Hey DB Dave you talking like a leader crimp for the fluro?  I use heavy fluro on our monster lakers in north Saskatchewan and knot tying can sometimes be an issue.  Had 1 Knot slip loose last year and dont want to loose proven world records because of it.

Any other tips you have for this type would be appreciated. thx

Offline deadbait dave

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • ><(((((((((((((((((((((o>
« Reply #15 on: Mar 11, 2007, 03:18 PM »
i crimp all mono 80lb and up for all fishing applications. crimping needs to be done right or it will not hold to the breaking strenght of the line. i  use jinkai or momoi crimps. correct size crimp for your line dia. and a top of the line hand crimper or bench crimper is a must!            d. b. d.       :tipup:
trout make big pike fat and happy!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.