Author Topic: 12/31 Lake Winchester  (Read 1480 times)

Offline mungo544

• Team IceShanty Regular
12/31 Lake Winchester
« on: Dec 31, 2008, 04:26 PM »
My son and I got there at 7:00 AM walked to the stump field, 2"-6" inches of ice. Nice smooth ice on the way out, but 3 inches of snow by 11:30, took over 30 minutes to drag the sled off , better wax the sled next time. Got a bunch of blue gills a couple yellow perch jiggin with trout worms and mousies , windy as a mother and 20 degrees. Had some big shiners on tipups, no flags.

Offline spanky1

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: 12/31 Lake Winchester
« Reply #1 on: Dec 31, 2008, 07:10 PM »
Hopefully that snow will get blown off tonight.

Thanks for the report.
Don't give up, don't EVER give up - Jimmy V

Trooper Bri

« Reply #2 on: Dec 31, 2008, 08:21 PM »
Seems like the wind has died down since i was out there shoveling after work. Maybe it's a good sign. I'll take 5" of light, powdery snow over the wind any day.

At least you got out there mungo. Were you the only ones out there ?

Offline mungo544

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Dec 31, 2008, 08:34 PM »
Seems like the wind has died down since i was out there shoveling after work. Maybe it's a good sign. I'll take 5" of light, powdery snow over the wind any day.

At least you got out there mungo. Were you the only ones out there ?
Yes we were the only ones out there, haven't fished there too often not sure where the best spots are. We like fishing for pike, usually Bantam or Mansfield, but like I said I don't know where to fish for pike on Winchester.

Trooper Bri

« Reply #4 on: Dec 31, 2008, 09:30 PM »
I've seen and heard enough reports to know you can get a pike just about anywhere up there mungo, but working in and around the visible stumps seem to produce more results for us. Some guys seem to do well there, but for a lot of us, the place is a stumper. No pun intended. My only gem from there is the 6lb'er in my avatar.
Try moving tipups around if they aren't popping. Due to the structure, sometimes you'll find a hole that produces just about anything.

And i retract my earlier weather observation. I went outside a few minutes ago to put my portable shovel in the car and got freakin' sandblasted by some evil winds! LOL !! My Ice Armor is gonna earn it's keep tomorrow. 13 degrees according to my thermometer.

Offline hrdwtr24

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Jan 01, 2009, 07:22 AM »
I've seen and heard enough reports to know you can get a pike just about anywhere up there mungo, but working in and around the visible stumps seem to produce more results for us. Some guys seem to do well there, but for a lot of us, the place is a stumper. No pun intended. My only gem from there is the 6lb'er in my avatar.
Try moving tipups around if they aren't popping. Due to the structure, sometimes you'll find a hole that produces just about anything.

And i retract my earlier weather observation. I went outside a few minutes ago to put my portable shovel in the car and got freakin' sandblasted by some evil winds! LOL !! My Ice Armor is gonna earn it's keep tomorrow. 13 degrees according to my thermometer.

Good luck Bri you are braver than me LOL! never fished Winchester may give it a shot this season...Bob..

Offline FondoFishin

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Jan 01, 2009, 11:11 AM »
Thanks for the report. I was wondering if it was safe enough to walk all the way up there. Like bri said, the stumps are a good place to catch pike, but its a gamble. You will get snagged eventually. One tip, dont give up on a stumped fish...if you cant horse it through the snag, just give a little slack, re-set the flag, and wait...it can take a while but I have seen it work.

Offline fishingman17

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Jan 01, 2009, 12:49 PM »
is anything safe

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.