Author Topic: Lost the wingnut to my Nils Auger (Might be at Bigelow)  (Read 1616 times)

Offline Velcro

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • The jigging snowflake
Welp, I was about to drill my first hole at Bigelow today, pick up my beloved Nils... and the wingnut is missing rending it into a sharp sled weight. I'm not sure where I lost it and I'm hoping it turns up at home, but if anyone fishes Bigelow I'd appreciate it if you could keep an eye out for it.

And if you're looking in any haystacks there's a needle I'm missing too.

It was such a miserable trip, it might be funny after I stop being so mad. I reminded myself that when I started icefishing I didn't have an auger and spudded through 12" of ice on my first ice fishing trip and used to just reopen old holes so I decided to do that instead of giving up for the day (which I should have... a positive attitude can only go so far when the naiads of Bigelow feel like messing with you) I was trying to be nostalgic... There were quite a few holes with just a skimming of ice on them, but evidently none were in any good places because I didn't get any real flags not counting the wind, not a nibble on my jigs. I can handle being skunked, if all I wanted was fish there's grocery stores for that. But everything that could get tangled got tangled, what was supposed to be secure would get loose. My hair decided to brake my hairtie and thought it was great fun to push off my hat and even mess with the visor on my hood (I think I'm a descendant of Medusa, there was a lot of Greek and Roman mythology going on there today including curses from the gods and me). When I decided to pack up I though that was the end of it, but while I was putting my first tipup in my bucket my jigging rod's hook holder decided to launch the jig and a Lindy's Rattlin' Flyer pinned a waxworm to my hand (I think I'm up to date on my tetanus shot when I got a hook in my eyebrow a few years ago but I'll be double checking that).

When Velcro cusses in the forest, and there's no one around, does she make a sound?  :%$#!:

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
Re: Lost the wingnut to my Nils Auger (Might be at Bigelow)
« Reply #1 on: Jan 31, 2018, 08:11 PM »
I think I have mine.  Ill check and let you know.  I use the tanaka anf have a finbore for my backup.  If I have it still its yours.

Offline Ice Scratcher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Jan 31, 2018, 08:20 PM »
Local hardware store here carries metric and SAE wing nuts... Maybe yours might be able to help..

<°)))>{

Offline Travis Rage

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Jan 31, 2018, 09:27 PM »
Literally lost my nut two trips ago too ha . I think it’s 9/16 . It’s big for sure. I got two and keep one in my tackle bag from now on

Offline Velcro

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • The jigging snowflake
« Reply #4 on: Feb 01, 2018, 07:18 PM »
My wingnut is still at large, it might have wound up in my parents' driveway got snowed on and then shoveled under a pile of snow. Or is at the very bottom of the trunk of my sister's car (she has two kids, it's gonna be a long time before it's found :o)

I rooted through two buckets of nuts and bolts to find one nut that fits, unfortunately I need a wrench to tighten the nut but I guess it will do until I can get a wingnut. I was thinking I'd just bring the handle into a hardware store and find what I need... and buy a couple extra for my tackle box.

Offline JimG2

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Above the Black Cloud is sunshine
« Reply #5 on: Feb 03, 2018, 01:09 PM »
I have no clue what the setup looks like, but if you buy or make a new wingnut setup, use an extra long bolt, and get some wire leader material and crimps. Take one end of the leader and make a crimped loop to fit loosely on the bolt. then run a nut up the bolt close to the loop, then another and tighten the nuts together.....called double-nutting. You can get crazy and use locktite, but it shouldn't be necessary. The bolt should spin freely around the cable. Then crimp the other end of the cable TIGHT on whichever end makes sense, the auger end or the drive end. Drill and add an eyed screw if you need to. Then you can't lose the wingnut/bolt.
Bring your kids hunting and fishing

Offline JimG2

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Feb 04, 2018, 06:48 AM »
Oh, I just thought of this potential solution. In the drawered section of the nuts and bolts at the hardware store, you may find allen head cap bolts in the size that you need. They have knurled edges on the heads and often they sell plastic wing nuts that fit over the heads nice and snug

Offline esox slayer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Feb 04, 2018, 07:05 AM »
Why complicate something so simple?

Get a replacement wingnut, make it snug and then a wrap of electrical tape  (encompassing both the "head" of the bolt and the wingnut) around everything.

Problem solved.  No wires or cables, no clamps, crimps, etc.
Marine Infantry NCO- Semper Fi!!!

Offline JimG2

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Feb 04, 2018, 07:14 AM »
esox, I'm under the assumption that Velcro has to disassemble her auger to get it into her vehicle. She either needs multiple spares in her gear bag (because you never notice these things until you walk 20 minutes onto the ice) or needs to have a system to "tether" her wingnut to her auger. I am also assuming that by wingnut, she means a bolt with a wingnut instead of a hex head that threads into the shaft/auger connection. Assembling then taping together is not an option.

Offline Ice Scratcher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Feb 04, 2018, 09:20 AM »
Thanks for the clean up Mr. Moderator...

Another easy removable option...

You could thread on a regular nut, then use a wing nut as a jam nut...

Or....

Might be a little harder to find, but the ultimate solution would be a thumb screw (no wrench needed) and a Nyloc wing nut...

Good luck!!

<°)))>{

Offline Velcro

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • The jigging snowflake
« Reply #10 on: Feb 04, 2018, 01:27 PM »
Heh, my thread has gone nuts  ;D

My Nils can fit in the car without folding down the handle (I know this because on one of my earliest trips with the Nils I tightened the wingnut too much and couldn't unscrew it to go home, needed a little help with an adjustable wrench to loosen it...) But it fits better in my sled folded (otherwise I have the handle poking me in the calves as I pull the sled  :o it's like being chased by a short unicorn).

When I finally get to the hardware store and find what size I need I'll post it here (because I'll probably lose the new nut and the spare nut and I can come back here to look it up, lol)

Offline bugchazer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Feb 04, 2018, 01:52 PM »
Maybe a longer rope for your sled too , it will pull better and not punch you in the leg. ;D

Offline Ice Scratcher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Feb 04, 2018, 02:20 PM »
Maybe a longer rope for your sled too , it will pull better and not punch you in the leg. ;D

X2

<°)))>{

Offline Velcro

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • The jigging snowflake
« Reply #13 on: Feb 04, 2018, 04:42 PM »
It's already a pretty long rope, and even longer if I'm using the drag harness. I'm more worried about damaging the handle if it's sticking out though.

Offline Jjiossa

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #14 on: Feb 04, 2018, 08:36 PM »
Lost mine a few weeks ago, I Found that a 3 1/4' hitch pin works great. Under 2 bucks, you can get them at any hardware store and you can throw a few extra in your kit for the day it happens again.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.