Author Topic: 2 days on Bantam, on the smallies  (Read 4057 times)

Offline mungo544

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: 2 days on Bantam, on the smallies
« Reply #30 on: Mar 15, 2013, 08:29 AM »
Ive had smallies there slam swimbaits I use for pike.  Theu taste better in the winter because they are not growing and have less oil in the flesh.  All and all I'd say Bantam has a awesome fishery.

Keitech swimbaits are one of my favorite lures for bass. They hammer those things.

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #31 on: Mar 15, 2013, 09:22 AM »
Keitech swimbaits are one of my favorite lures for bass. They hammer those things.

Yup but I'm talking 7-9" swimbaits arent those keitech's smaller?  I never used them because I nail so many smallies on gulp minnows on a jig head I've never had the need to try anything different!

Offline mungo544

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #32 on: Mar 15, 2013, 03:03 PM »
The biggest I use are 6 inch.

Offline Kokanee King

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #33 on: Mar 15, 2013, 07:11 PM »
Mungo, you eat carp too.  I'm laughing in disbelief.  It sounds like every thing you guys you catch you eat.  Laughing....... :cookoo: :cookoo:

Offline saxmatt

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #34 on: Mar 15, 2013, 07:44 PM »
Smallmouth are delicious, way better than carp. I don't eat everything I catch though, I use trout and Kokanee for pike bait and release all the pike.

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #35 on: Mar 15, 2013, 08:44 PM »
Smallmouth are delicious, way better than carp. I don't eat everything I catch though, I use trout and Kokanee for pike bait and release all the pike.

Right on, those are good baits!

Offline bugchazer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #36 on: Mar 16, 2013, 05:41 AM »
Nothing wrong with eating a few fish you catch, personal choice on catch and release. Another case of people trying to push thier beliefs on others. :-X

Offline Tom G

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #37 on: Mar 16, 2013, 08:37 AM »
Mungo, you eat carp too.  I'm laughing in disbelief.  It sounds like every thing you guys you catch you eat.  Laughing....... :cookoo: :cookoo:

"It is better to keep your mouth shut, and have people think that you are a fool, than open it, and erase all doubt."

Offline thndrvlly

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #38 on: Mar 16, 2013, 09:34 AM »
"Nothing wrong with eating a few fish you catch, personal choice on catch and release." Another case of people trying to push thier beliefs on others. :-X
  Nice pics and looks like an awesome  day!! everybody puts a lot of time and money into ice fishing trips you should be able to reap the benefits of all your efforts. Nothing like a good fish fry with your buds. For those of you complaining I think Wii puts out a fishing game, you can catch and release all you want!

Offline mungo544

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #39 on: Mar 16, 2013, 12:47 PM »

How did you know I ate carp, I never posted it you must be clairvoyant. Bantam has the only population of tench in Ct., a form of carp that is a delicacy in Asia. here is a link to a youtube video about Bantam tench)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-wWtc4VxOoA

I tried it last year, excellent white fish. Ironically, in Great Britain, tench is a sport fish. If you eat them the sport fishermen do stupid things like complain about people that have the nerve to eat it. Sound familiar?

Offline mungo544

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #40 on: Mar 16, 2013, 12:53 PM »

Don't get caught using trout for bait in Ct., They specifically ban the use of largemouth, smallmouth, pickerel, pike, trout, salmon, carp and goldfish for bait.

Offline pikemanEd

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #41 on: Mar 16, 2013, 02:15 PM »
Matt is talking about using trout in NJ where he lives where it is legal   
Go big or go home

Offline adkRoy

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
  • Beware of squirrels playing banjos
« Reply #42 on: Mar 16, 2013, 05:13 PM »