Author Topic: Mt. Tom ice  (Read 3467 times)

Offline pettinicchis

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Don't horse em son !!!
Mt. Tom ice
« on: Dec 28, 2009, 05:11 PM »
Decided to try Mt. Tom this morning in Bantam area to try and find some Salmon. We had 4.5" of black ice only 20 ' out. We continued to drill toward the middle and ran into 2.5". Had to abort and go to Tyler in Goshen. Always a safe bet for ice.....7". We pulled in 5 or 6 yellow perch, 1 calico, and 1 brown. Not a bad first day out.

Offline ctfishermanct

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • LET THERE BE ICE!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Re: Mt. Tom ice
« Reply #1 on: Dec 28, 2009, 05:24 PM »
nice at least you got out

Offline linebreaker

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Dec 28, 2009, 06:21 PM »
I stopped be Mount Tom and saw your holes this afternoon. It should freeze up pretty quick with the cold weather the next couple days. Are there Salmon in there??  Never caught any  just trout.  Good job on the day though. Checked Waramug too and that will take a while as the far side by the state beach is all open water.

Offline pettinicchis

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Don't horse em son !!!
« Reply #3 on: Dec 28, 2009, 06:30 PM »
I stopped be Mount Tom and saw your holes this afternoon. It should freeze up pretty quick with the cold weather the next couple days. Are there Salmon in there??  Never caught any  just trout.  Good job on the day though. Checked Waramug too and that will take a while as the far side by the state beach is all open water.

I am told that they stocked the place with 300 salmon late fall. Sanzeries bait shop in Thomaston said that someone caught a 20 " yesterday before finding the thin ice and leaving. I don't know why I thought it would be much better today.

Offline jss111678

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Dec 28, 2009, 09:43 PM »
salmon were stocked this year i think it was 100 in there

Offline linebreaker

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Dec 29, 2009, 05:04 AM »
I am going to try it tomorrow. With the storm coming on new years eve I won't be able to get up there till sunday as I will have to plow unless it changes to rain.  Would love to be a weather man! lol
Any thoughts on catching salmon through the ice? In NH I fished them 4' under the ice in 40' of water with shiners

Offline pettinicchis

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Don't horse em son !!!
« Reply #6 on: Dec 29, 2009, 05:47 AM »
I am going to try it tomorrow. With the storm coming on new years eve I won't be able to get up there till sunday as I will have to plow unless it changes to rain.  Would love to be a weather man! lol
Any thoughts on catching salmon through the ice? In NH I fished them 4' under the ice in 40' of water with shiners

I was going to try small shiners about 3 feet of the bottom to start, but I am no expert on salmon. I like the big mouth fish.

Offline lives2fish

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Dec 29, 2009, 06:09 AM »
Try fishing small medium to medium shiners 3' below the ice with no weight. I also like to use a lighter leader when fishing for salmon. No more than ten pound test. This way the shiner swimes more naturally. But you need to really play the fish out. Try not to let the line rub on the edges of the hole. When they get closer to the hole they tend to just swim the circle like they know it will break the line. I have been pretty successful with this method. Hope it works for you and good luck...
No, I mean I REALLY REALLY LOVE TO FISH!!!

Offline linebreaker

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Dec 29, 2009, 07:15 AM »
Try fishing small medium to medium shiners 3' below the ice with no weight. I also like to use a lighter leader when fishing for salmon. No more than ten pound test. This way the shiner swimes more naturally. But you need to really play the fish out. Try not to let the line rub on the edges of the hole. When they get closer to the hole they tend to just swim the circle like they know it will break the line. I have been pretty successful with this method. Hope it works for you and good luck...

thanks!

Offline hawk01

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Dec 29, 2009, 07:16 AM »

What lives2fish said. Just under the ice, small shiners. set up before 1st light. early morn bite is generally best. They stocked 100 at Mt tom and 100 at Crystal in Ellington this past October. They are smaller this year than last (like 2-6 lbs) still nice fish. Crystal Lake sports was keeping a tally of what people brought in this past Fall, last I knew it was around 40 fish.  The year before they stocked some fish upwards of 20 lbs with many in the 12lb range.  Good Luck.

I know you can't use outboards on Mt Tom during soft water, any problem using gas powered augers there?

Hawk

Offline linebreaker

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Dec 29, 2009, 07:19 AM »
No problem so far I have seen many there

Offline hawk01

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Dec 29, 2009, 07:19 AM »
Thank you

Offline jebra

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #12 on: Dec 29, 2009, 01:34 PM »
Lives2fish... if you are only 3 feet below the surface of the ice then your leader has to be less than that, correct?
And if you don't mind, how does your rigging for catching trout differ from what you described here for the salmon...or is it the same? ???
 Thanks! :tipup:

Offline fishingabomb2006

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #13 on: Dec 29, 2009, 01:45 PM »
smelts for bait are the ticket!!! if you can get them that is, almost feeling like getting 10 or 15dozen from maine and keeping them in a fishtank in the garage
Team Goldfish 55 :-D :-D
lifetime jigging goals:
gill-done; perch-done; crappie- done; bass- done; carp-done; catfish-done, splake-done; rainbow-done; brookie- done; pike- done; pickeral-done (29inch6.5lb); white fish-done;  laker-  ;cusk-  ;salmon-  ;walleye-

Offline linebreaker

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Dec 29, 2009, 02:12 PM »
I have used smelt in NH with great success but they are really hard to keep alive and are expensive.

Offline Squirtx16

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Dec 29, 2009, 02:34 PM »
Decided to try Mt. Tom this morning in Bantam area to try and find some Salmon. We had 4.5" of black ice only 20 ' out. We continued to drill toward the middle and ran into 2.5". Had to abort and go to Tyler in Goshen. Always a safe bet for ice.....7". We pulled in 5 or 6 yellow perch, 1 calico, and 1 brown. Not a bad first day out.

Fish shallow at Mt. Tom medium shiners right of the bottom.......

We were at tyler early the same morning then headed over to Mt. Tom. Always good for a few stockie size trout...

Offline Squirtx16

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Dec 29, 2009, 10:29 PM »
good to see ya on here squirt! ;)

Thanks Jon...

Offline linebreaker

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Dec 30, 2009, 03:41 PM »
Stuck it out with my father for about 6 hours today. Not a very busy day but we did manage to get a stocky rainbow and a 15" brown. There were many guys there but not many flags. My father had a huge brown steal the bait when he looked into the hole, so I guess they were there but just not hungry. Gonna hit a small pond in Ridgefield tomorrow with a bunch of young kids, see if we can get some of them addicted too!  Great to be out on the ice again!

Offline readyforsomeice

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #18 on: Dec 30, 2009, 09:50 PM »
Was there today. Got 1 Rainbow stocked about 14-15" no other flags o other touches jigging, was there for about 4 hours. Ice in the middle out from the boat launch was still only 3-4 inches thick. 7-8" near shore.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.