Author Topic: Trapping Bait...  (Read 3230 times)

Offline TCASS

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Nothin but Knobb!
Trapping Bait...
« on: Dec 01, 2009, 11:31 AM »
Was able to get a bunch of bait traps in this morning.. Going to give it a day or so and check them out.  Got a later start this year than i wanted to but with this warmer weather I dont think it will hurt anyhting.  Hopefully this weekend I can hit my sucker and fallfish spots for some pike baits!! 
Ain't nothing to it but to do it!!

Offline northwestslayer

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • gone and fishin
Re: Trapping Bait...
« Reply #1 on: Dec 01, 2009, 12:33 PM »
Yeah the skim ice gave me a scare this morning so I headed out to jig some pondies for the ice. Got a good amount some decent size. I had a bunch but I have been pikeing it up on the houssie. That river is underestimated to say the least. We have been catching alot of decent fish. sorry no pics dropped my phone in the drink again..

Offline jss111678

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Dec 03, 2009, 07:39 AM »
tcass how did you do did you get any good bait? i think i need to get another trap i only have one. seems like most of you have a few in the water in differant spots

Offline miket.

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • ICE IS NICE
« Reply #3 on: Dec 03, 2009, 01:49 PM »
everytime i put one out , it gets stolen.
hard core fanatic  Http:
http://timeanddate.com/s/1a9j

Offline TCASS

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Nothin but Knobb!
« Reply #4 on: Dec 03, 2009, 07:30 PM »
I havent had a chance to check them.  I dont mind seeing as 3 of them are in a new place I have never trapped before.  New places i like to give a few days for them to find the traps.  As soon as I check them I will keep you posted.

Offline TCASS

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Nothin but Knobb!
« Reply #5 on: Dec 06, 2009, 06:48 PM »
So i fiannly check my traps yesterday and today.. between 2 ponds and only 5 total traps, I got close to 150 shiners... Off to a great start!

Offline Kierran

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • theCTyankee.com
« Reply #6 on: Dec 08, 2009, 11:31 AM »
I just dropped a trap into a river this morning.  Hoping for common shiners, fallfish and black nosed dace.  For bait I used dry cat food, a can of wet cat food with holes poked into it, a hard roll, and a few dinner bisuits.   I will let it soak for two or three days. 

Offline jss111678

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Dec 08, 2009, 12:35 PM »
let us know on that one, put mine in a stream today pretty deep spot. i have seen lots of suckers and dace in that area when fishing for trout.

Offline jonserfish1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Hi, my name is Jeff and I'm a fishahaulic!
« Reply #8 on: Dec 09, 2009, 06:55 PM »
how do you know where to try and trap shiners?

Offline jss111678

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Dec 09, 2009, 10:53 PM »
you should try to know the bait in the waters you fish. try swamp ponds or streams with dace in them.other than that trial and error

Offline jonserfish1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Dec 10, 2009, 05:54 AM »
you should try to know the bait in the waters you fish. try swamp ponds or streams with dace in them.other than that trial and error
what do you use to jig for them(to see what's in my pond)?

Offline jss111678

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Dec 10, 2009, 06:07 AM »
not sure bout jiggin but from what i hear if you use a little piece of worm, mousie, or spike with a small jig that should work if you find them. i also hear if you take wet cat food and put it in a bag like a onion bag or maybe a bag oranges come in, and shake it in the water once in a while that it works like chum to keep the fish close by

Offline Kierran

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • theCTyankee.com
« Reply #12 on: Dec 10, 2009, 07:00 AM »
let us know on that one, put mine in a stream today pretty deep spot. i have seen lots of suckers and dace in that area when fishing for trout.

Sigh...my trap was empty.  I don't think the rain/snow helped, as the stream was crankin'.  It did have almost 24 hours to soak before that though.  I need to find a better body of water.

Offline jonserfish1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Dec 10, 2009, 11:15 AM »
not sure bout jiggin but from what i hear if you use a little piece of worm, mousie, or spike with a small jig that should work if you find them. i also hear if you take wet cat food and put it in a bag like a onion bag or maybe a bag oranges come in, and shake it in the water once in a while that it works like chum to keep the fish close by
thanks

Offline jss111678

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Dec 10, 2009, 11:27 AM »
kierran checked mine today 48 hour soak in a stream i know has suckers and dace. nothing in it in a spot that i always see the fish. what part of the state you from maybe i could help you find some give you a few options. goin to a new spot today with the trap and pole to try my luck.

Offline Kierran

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • theCTyankee.com
« Reply #15 on: Dec 10, 2009, 12:12 PM »
what part of the state you from maybe i could help you find some give you a few options.

I'm along the shoreline.  Much better at trapping saltwater species ;)

Offline jss111678

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #16 on: Dec 10, 2009, 12:53 PM »
opposite me im up north near the mass line

Offline Romey

• IceShanty Rookie
  • TEAM CT
« Reply #17 on: Dec 10, 2009, 12:55 PM »
just got back... got a half dozen dace on the rod and reel.  all about 5-6 inches.

Offline carpboy

• IceShanty Rookie
Trapping Bait...
« Reply #18 on: Dec 10, 2009, 07:30 PM »
I tried getting to some of my puddle places in the Enfield/Somers area for shiners but before I knew it, they had a skim of ice on them. Hit 3 stream/river spots with nada result. That rain/snow through me for a loop as if it was the weather/or crappy spots. Trying a new one 2maro with trap and pole in hand for dace...29 degrees for a high though, not too thrilled about that!

-Carboy

Offline Kierran

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • theCTyankee.com
« Reply #19 on: Dec 10, 2009, 09:04 PM »
Kierran if you plan on going to the eastern-central area of the state let me know, I can send you to a couple of my old bait holes.

Thanks, Jon.  AaronS lives in central CT.  Maybe I can get him to set my trap up that way. 

...29 degrees for a high though, not too thrilled about that!

I thought we were all rooting for the cold? ;)

Offline spanky1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #20 on: Dec 10, 2009, 09:13 PM »
I'm not having any luck with the traps either Kierran. I have 2 spots left to try but thankfully we're running out of open water time. I had to break ice to get my empty trap back today. ;D

The rod & real have produced about 3 doz nice fallfish but only managed to trap a few. Almost time to use them!!!!!
Don't give up, don't EVER give up - Jimmy V

Offline Kierran

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • theCTyankee.com
« Reply #21 on: Dec 11, 2009, 06:51 AM »
3 doz nice fallfish

That's about 2.5 dozen more than I got!  I got some wild cards though.

Offline TCASS

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Nothin but Knobb!
« Reply #22 on: Dec 12, 2009, 04:29 PM »
Checked the traps again this morning, got about 2 dozen or so.  Then this afternoon I hit a local stream and found a few fallfish.  I need to set up a seperate tank for these guys. I think it is a bad idea having them in my shiner tanks.  I hope to go back in the morning and grab another dozen or so.

Offline elcapitanmas

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • explaining ice fishing is impossible
« Reply #23 on: Dec 12, 2009, 07:28 PM »
shiners and stream fish don't mix well for some reason, def found that out the hard way.

Offline hawk01

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #24 on: Dec 13, 2009, 03:04 PM »
Hey i live in thompson ct close to the MA line, I have a huge problem nobody is carrying any golden shiners or any big bait at all i need some very badly.... Does anyone know some -ponds i can jig some shiners up... Please help me out here

As far as Bait shops, Our sponsor CT Outfitters usually has big bait in stock,and did at the seminar 10 days ago. This includes large Goldens. Call first.  According to the last CT State electrofishing survey, Black Pond in Woodstock, which is close to you, is supposed to have a healthy supply of Goldens. I have not had much luck trapping them there though. Good Luck

Hawk

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.