The ice fishing ME board is sponsored by:
Visit Dags visit derby website

Author Topic: Pleasant Pond, Caratunk  (Read 2057 times)

msh

Pleasant Pond, Caratunk
« on: Dec 20, 2006, 10:23 PM »
Public hearing in Bingham around the 10th of January to open this lake to ice fishing.  This is a palce that was stocked with Togue and the BT populations took a big dip.  I guess some of the camp owners have decided to put some additional pressure on the togue population.  More info coming.  I hope all icefishers will support this and "get-r done"

Offline ifishhi

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Pleasant Pond, Caratunk
« Reply #1 on: Dec 21, 2006, 03:45 AM »
you mean to open this year or next ??? man that would be sweet . thats some of the better togue fishing around here :thumbsup:

M.P.H.C. freedomfighter #000004

Offline billditrite

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • R.I.P. Bobberstop 6-14-1944 ~ 7-21-2010
« Reply #2 on: Dec 21, 2006, 05:36 AM »
i have fished pleasant a lot... but never through the ice. its is a deeeep cooold lake. id love to icefish it havent been there in years thx for the info. keep us posted maybe i can arrange a convoy from the south  :thumbsup:

Offline Butch Moore

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • OOOOPS!!
« Reply #3 on: Dec 21, 2006, 06:44 AM »
Notice of Agency Rule-making Proposal

Advertise: December 20, 2006
Agency: Department of Inland Fisheries and Wildlife
Rule Title or Subject: Ice Fishing Regulations

Concise Summary: The Department of Inland Fisheries and Wildlife has been petitioned to consider the following fishing regulation:

Pleasant Lake, Town of Caratunk, Somerset County - Open to ice fishing

THIS RULE WILL__ WILL NOT_X_ HAVE A FISCAL IMPACT ON MUNICIPALITIES.

Statutory Authority:12 MRSA, Section 10104

Public Hearing: January 11, 2007; Quimby Elementary School, Main Street (Route 201) Bingham; 6:30 p.m.

Deadline for Comments: January 26, 2007

Agency Contact Person: Andrea Erskine

Agency Name: Inland Fisheries & Wildlife

Address: #41 State House Station,
Augusta, ME 04333-0041

Email: [email protected]

Telephone: 287-5201
We must all hang together, or assuredly we shall all hang separately. - Ben Franklin

Offline Butch Moore

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • OOOOPS!!
« Reply #4 on: Dec 21, 2006, 06:46 AM »
Note the date above - it's the 11th of January.

For those who can't make the convoy, be sure and send in your comments!
We must all hang together, or assuredly we shall all hang separately. - Ben Franklin

Offline Ice Time

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Dec 21, 2006, 07:14 AM »
It’s a shame they put togue in Pleasant oldtimers say it used to have lots of brook trout in it. When I fished it a few times years ago the togue were stacked up like cord wood. Its about 200 feet deep and some cold. I recall several years ago a petition tried to open it to ice fishing but the camp owners squashed it. I hope they do open it up this year and I’ll be there fer sure.

Offline nativetrout

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Best time of the year!
« Reply #6 on: Dec 21, 2006, 01:15 PM »
I also have been told the brook trout fishing at Pleasant was great, but the stocking of togue killed it quickly.  Open it up for ice fishers, we will help catch some big ones. Always like to help out.

Offline gamefisher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Dec 21, 2006, 01:33 PM »
This will be interesting how this one turns out.  Pleasant has always been one of those storied waters that you just couldn't talk about regarding change.  This may be another case were the State chooses to manage to public opinion over biology.  I'm sure there are more than a few influential camp/land owners who will wish to keep it just the way it is.  One of the main problems guys is we've all changed and none of us keep anything anymore!  Moosehead, Tunk, etc. their begging people to take their limit and still not happening.  Really hope this doesn't turn into a Branch Lake deal of some sort. Talk about "gin clear" waters....

Offline yukoncornelius

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Dec 21, 2006, 04:46 PM »
from what i am hearing so far, proposed regs would look like:

NFALB
liberal togue limits in terms of size & bag
no bag limits on brooktrout - not sure if we'd see something along the lines of 'all BKT released alive at once/no BKT removed from the water' or anything additional

waiting on more word on this

sounds good to me - lakers taste best in the winter - a little butter, lemon & fresh dill anyone?

Offline weav11

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • I did it all for the brookie, the brookie
« Reply #9 on: Dec 21, 2006, 07:27 PM »
Tim-
Weav here...Chesebro and I are hitting a 80 acre pickeral infested pond (w/ the small chance of icing a brown) on the 1st if you are interested..its a stone's throw from rt 1 in Nobleboro...might have ice on it if we're lucky...good place for kids...welcome to join us.

sorry to highjack the thread...if reg change helped strike a balance in the water I'm all for it...wouldn't be a bad pond to hit one day during the belgrade derby...usually don't have too many togue entered in that one....togue smoked over apple wood...mmmmm.  :D
Tippy Tundra 1 Weav 0

Offline Ice Time

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Jan 12, 2007, 08:54 PM »
Did anyone go to Bingham. How did it go? It would be a good to open this up in my opinon.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.