Author Topic: Batterson  (Read 9757 times)

Offline E-man

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Batterson
« Reply #30 on: Mar 15, 2015, 05:25 AM »
good late day bite. caught a few dinks jiggin and two keepers. 1 28in 1 20in on traps friday.

Offline octanehi5

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Work was made for people who can't fish, I'm retir
« Reply #31 on: Mar 15, 2015, 07:00 AM »
In my past experiances,When the weather is at its worst the bite is at its best, there is something to be said for having shelter in this weather. Have not heard any big walleye fish stories lately out of batterson . There were alot of guys fishing it friday, I think Batterson got a little to hyped up about its walleyes. Its not in the Beach pond, Gardner, Saltenstall, Mashapaug, Pogotopaug, Class of walleye fishery

Offline octanehi5

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #32 on: Mar 15, 2015, 08:08 AM »
Nice fish  E   Walter is in there just very elusive. With the small perch that I saw jigged up. they have plenty to feed on. Hopefully the state will continue to stock Walleye in our lakes. The bucket brigaids that hit that place in soft water months take anything they catch,no regard for slot limit.It takes some time for a walleye to reach harvest size. I believe they were first stocked in 2001,being in there for 14 yrs. there should a few 30+" fish, Your 28" is proof  of that

Offline Dawas

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #33 on: Mar 15, 2015, 08:35 AM »
Hello everyone on friday 03/13/15 at batterson left home depot bucket with the underwater camera aqua vu type micro av II if someone found please contact me 860-538-2087 thanks...

Offline Grizzzz

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #34 on: Mar 15, 2015, 03:42 PM »
I really hope you find it. Not everyone visits this site.

Offline NewGuy123

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #35 on: Mar 15, 2015, 04:21 PM »
Hello everyone on friday 03/13/15 at batterson left home depot bucket with the underwater camera aqua vu type micro av II if someone found please contact me 860-538-2087 thanks...
May be worth it to make a flyer on bright orange paper or something and go post it at the boat lauch offering a small reward,
Hope you find it, best of luck

Offline stabilicer

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #36 on: Mar 15, 2015, 11:32 PM »
Dawas hope someone turns it in if they have a conscience.I would report it to the Farmy and NewBritain PD, you might just get lucky.
Friday I met a real cool New Britain cop at the launch when I was leaving, and thats all he wanted to talk about was fishing, great guy.
Just a few of us diehards out there tonite braving the 35 plus mph gusts but finally I pulled a walley through the ice, a 15 ", my friend iced his best walley ever at 20" and we iced two little dinks and 5 perch.
Fished from 2:30 - 10:30.

Offline KUBES90

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hog Livin'
« Reply #37 on: Mar 16, 2015, 04:55 AM »
Wish batt wasn't so far for me to drive, the action is only gonna continue to pick up from here
"And I'll be catching them northern pike like on a 10 pound test"- Kid Rock

Offline NewGuy123

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #38 on: Mar 16, 2015, 07:52 AM »
Curious how you guys set up for night fishing
do most of you guys have shanties etc?
im assuming headlamps  and lights on your tip ups

Offline stabilicer

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #39 on: Mar 16, 2015, 09:36 AM »
I use reflective tape on my flags and keep shining the spot light on them but thats getting old. Its time to switch to the lights.
I only use the eskimo shanty when its in the teens with my heater and a headlamp is mandatory.

Offline octanehi5

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #40 on: Mar 16, 2015, 10:09 AM »
Stabilicer Congrats on your first Walter through the ice. Its always nice to catch fish that we target. Batt. seems to be giving up a few.May have to go back later this week Also maybe Pocotopaug? I'm thinking we will have good ice for maybe 3 weeks

Offline Getbent

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #41 on: Mar 16, 2015, 11:01 AM »
I finally payed up and bought the frabill lights for mine.  Well worth the money

Offline KUBES90

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hog Livin'
« Reply #42 on: Mar 16, 2015, 11:07 AM »
Looked at those lights... 15 bucks a pop sound right or should I keep looking? Hoping to find a multi pack too. For now I've got these rubber band bicycle light (red and white) that my wife picked up for buck a piece at the target cheapo section. They are bright enough and I can see em waving if my flags flyin

Offline Getbent

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #43 on: Mar 16, 2015, 02:44 PM »
They had them for a little cheaper at cto.   Other than that there's some knockoffs online. But after paying $10 and then more for shipping the frabills are the way to go

Offline octanehi5

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #44 on: Mar 16, 2015, 05:15 PM »
you can find the frabil lil shiner for $9.99 each on ebay,thats the going rate.  Priceless at night fishing for Walleye

Offline Getbent

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #45 on: Mar 16, 2015, 06:00 PM »
I saw some on eBay with $6.00 for shipping :o

Offline stabilicer

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #46 on: Mar 16, 2015, 07:46 PM »
Thanks Ron!Glad to hear your still going out, but be careful out there.There were some holes opening up pretty good Sunday. For peace of mind, I will be wearing my life jacket for now on end even though in most places thickness was 17".

As for the tipup lights, the frabil lil shiners are on their way from Gander Mt for 9.99 free shipping. I called around the area and into Ma and every shop was soldout for the season but cto's had one left.That was it. 

Offline eiderz

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #47 on: Mar 16, 2015, 08:07 PM »
Thanks Ron!Glad to hear your still going out, but be careful out there.There were some holes opening up pretty good Sunday. For peace of mind, I will be wearing my life jacket for now on end even though in most places thickness was 17".

As for the tipup lights, the frabil lil shiners are on their way from Gander Mt for 9.99 free shipping. I called around the area and into Ma and every shop was soldout for the season but cto's had one left.That was it. 

Few things in icefishing are as exciting as the flashy light in the dark. I like the lil'shiners, I leave them permanently on a set of Polars which are my dedicated walter rigs. Had them seven seasons, changed the batteries the first time this season. Mount them as low as you can on the flag wire, it keeps the weight down so that a stiff wind can't keep the flag from popping sufficiently to activate the light. FWIW, I have sets of the lil' shiners, Arctic Fires and the HT two color version. IMO, the lil'shiners are the best on Polar styles while I favor the Arctic Fires on Heritage Lakers and similar "classic" style tipups. The HT offers a yellow color which make it easy to differentiate whose flag popped in the dark.

And as a bonus, I can attest to the fact that a lil' shiner flashes for at least three days when dropped in the hole in six feet of water. Proven by my friend this year with a brand new one, dropped while trying to attach it over the hole. The plastic is more pliable when warm, snap them on at home and forget about taking them off. Hope you get to chase lots of lights at Batterson!

Offline rosie

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #48 on: Mar 16, 2015, 09:44 PM »
Went tonight until ten o clock  very slow for all pan fish and walleyes. Let me know how any body did. THANKS

Offline rosie

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #49 on: Mar 16, 2015, 09:50 PM »
Very slow tonight. Stayed until 10 o clock.

Offline stabilicer

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #50 on: Mar 17, 2015, 12:18 AM »
EiderZ, now thats a wealth of information for any member whos contemplating lighting the place up. Thankyou much.

Offline eiderz

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #51 on: Mar 17, 2015, 06:31 AM »
Forgot two things about the lights.

Most importantly they are made to snap on round flagwire similar to Polars or Lakers. Flat flagwire requires a rubber band or other rube goldberg setup and the flat wire may not be strong enough to support the light.

Second, I noticed that the newer li'l shiners have a snap on the bottom cover, which you need to screw in or out to turn them on and off. You need to get them adjusted just right so that the bottom snap isn't in the way. But, the newer type are the 3-day fully "waterproof" model.  ;)

Offline octanehi5

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #52 on: Mar 17, 2015, 06:35 AM »
Gander sounds like a good deal, Batt. being only 140 acers,small pond, ice will melt quickly. we do have some cold weather coming back that will help sustain what we have, Make no mistake, from the melting snow the waters running into our lakes and ponds are warming,melting ice from the bottom side. stay safe

Offline pikemanEd

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #53 on: Mar 17, 2015, 06:41 AM »
Ht nightstar tip up lights you can make then blink red or yellow and can be seen on tipups over a 1/4 mile away and blink faster then the frabill lights and only 6$ each
Go big or go home

Offline octanehi5

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #54 on: Mar 17, 2015, 06:46 AM »
thats a good price, And were are they at $6, These lights we have seen go off at a mile away

Offline KUBES90

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hog Livin'
« Reply #55 on: Mar 17, 2015, 09:24 AM »
At batterson this morning went out at 3 am, couldn't catch fish fast enough but walleyes wee only10-12 inches. Non stop jigging them until 730. You're right on with the ice melting from the bottom too, felt with my scraper about 4 inches slush under the hard stuff. Thinnest solid ice I saw was 5 in.  Be very weary around abandoned holes, that's all I fished (didn't take my auger) and my foot fell through, there was 6 inches of water between two layers of ice

Offline NewGuy123

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #56 on: Mar 17, 2015, 10:45 AM »
At batterson this morning went out at 3 am, couldn't catch fish fast enough but walleyes wee only10-12 inches. Non stop jigging them until 730. You're right on with the ice melting from the bottom too, felt with my scraper about 4 inches slush under the hard stuff. Thinnest solid ice I saw was 5 in.  Be very weary around abandoned holes, that's all I fished (didn't take my auger) and my foot fell through, there was 6 inches of water between two layers of ice
what are you jigging them up on?

also good advice to be careful of old holes managed to step on one yesterday and went in almost to my knee

Offline KUBES90

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hog Livin'
« Reply #57 on: Mar 17, 2015, 10:53 AM »
Anything with a half a shiner on it, I tried em all to get a monster to bite

Offline NewGuy123

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #58 on: Mar 17, 2015, 12:30 PM »
Anything with a half a shiner on it, I tried em all to get a monster to bite
Out by the island?
maybe will try to go out before the ice is gone
or if its gone by the time i have time   il go out in my kayak

Offline KUBES90

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hog Livin'
« Reply #59 on: Mar 17, 2015, 12:36 PM »
Off the bank on east side. Seemed to get sloppy past 50 yds, don't know if that's all the way around, I didn't go too far

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.