Author Topic: question  (Read 527 times)

Offline toadhunter2

• Team IceShanty Regular
question
« on: Jan 09, 2013, 06:40 PM »
OK my question is does nobody fish for pike with live bait using  :tipup: on the Mississippi river I can not find any bait shops that sell large shiners or roaches out west only crappie and fat heads you go east and north of rockford and every bait shop has them I just find that kind of crazy because pike is the best meat in hot oil
early mornings,cold north winds,hard ice,good friends and cold high life..FLAG UP!.priceless

Offline Kevin23

• Team IceShantyholic
Re: question
« Reply #1 on: Jan 09, 2013, 06:45 PM »
No, I don't think anyone around the QC area has any shiners or anything like that. I know a couple places ordered in big chubs for the walleye tourneys last year, but that was about it. Not really a big pike fishery until you get up around PDC.
EYECONICFISHING

Offline blufloyd

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #2 on: Jan 09, 2013, 08:20 PM »
Plus only people I know that eat pike are from up north.  I hear the glowing reviews all the time. I have tried to eat it numerous times.  Not a fan. 
I fish better with a lit cigar; some people fish better with talent. ~Nick Lyons, Bright Rivers, 1977

Offline harpenter

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Jan 09, 2013, 08:43 PM »
I remember reading a post on this site w/in the last couple of weeks where people were talking about fishing for Pike.  The main consensus seemed to be using small Bluegill with their fins cut worked better.

I don't know all the rules about using gills for bait, but I thought it was something like you have to catch them on the same body of water you are using them for bait on.  Make sure you check your local regulations before doing such a thing.

Offline tbirdbassr

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • illinois
« Reply #4 on: Jan 09, 2013, 10:28 PM »
If you use gills for bait it has to come from that body of water thats the rule.But there are a ton of other baitfih out there that will catch pike you have chubs and suckers that live in every stream that flows into the Mississippi. I have fished tounerys on that river for years anything you get there you earn do your homework you can get bait but you'll never buy it!!!

Offline toadhunter2

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Jan 09, 2013, 10:49 PM »
well unfortunately for me all of my chub Creeks are dry or frozen and all I know is with the number of spinerbaits and swim jigs I have that get trashed every year on pool 13 by pike while I am fishing bass tourneys I feel it is time for some pike pay back the hot oil is ready to give them a new home
early mornings,cold north winds,hard ice,good friends and cold high life..FLAG UP!.priceless

Offline boscolab

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Jan 10, 2013, 12:27 PM »
Up der in da nort, they use dem der froze ciscos and uder froze critters from da tradin post.

I may try to find a few variaties when i hit a few pike lakes in early Feb.
If I had a penny for every time, people thought they would get rich from getting pennys for every thing they claim they do or hear, over and over again, I would be richer than Richy Rich.
HUH?

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.