Author Topic: Weed worms/ Blackeyed Susans this year?  (Read 1360 times)

Offline riverbottoms

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Hardcore
Weed worms/ Blackeyed Susans this year?
« on: Nov 13, 2012, 01:05 PM »
Went out today looking for weed worms/blackeyed susans, only found a couple of handfuls of sticks for my effort compared to what I had found last year. The drought must have  effected this years hatch? Anybody else finding the same results.

Offline blufloyd

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
Re: Weed worms/ Blackeyed Susans this year?
« Reply #1 on: Nov 13, 2012, 05:32 PM »
been years since saw a wild black eyed susan....
I fish better with a lit cigar; some people fish better with talent. ~Nick Lyons, Bright Rivers, 1977

Offline VanderLaan

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Nov 14, 2012, 02:45 PM »
===The drought must have  effected this years hatch?===

Not too sure about the drought's effect on the weed worms, but the prairie grass in my back pasture had a fraction of the black-eyed susans that it usually has.  I attribute it to the drought. 

Where are the worms on a BES?  We usually find the pods on Goldenrod.
The test of man is not how how far he will go to win, but how far he will go when he has already lost.

Offline blufloyd

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #3 on: Nov 17, 2012, 02:31 AM »
Inside the square stems.  really nice bait.  I think you need really damp area to find them though.
I fish better with a lit cigar; some people fish better with talent. ~Nick Lyons, Bright Rivers, 1977

Offline riverbottoms

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Hardcore
« Reply #4 on: Nov 17, 2012, 08:04 AM »
 Years past I had my best luck finding weedworms along rail road right aways and fence lines on country roads. But this year with the drought I think Blufloyd is right areas with high moisture in the soil might be the place to find them.
 The acorns this year where heavy with nice size grubs. They work great later in the year when the hardwater fishing slows down and you should downsize on bait your presentation. That is also when goldenrod grubs really work also. 

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.