Author Topic: Cleaning & Cooking Tips?  (Read 2115 times)

Offline bostoned

• Team IceShanty Regular
Cleaning & Cooking Tips?
« on: Jan 25, 2008, 09:02 AM »
I see a lot of people talking about how good gills are to eat.  I have never kept one in my entire life.  They always got thrown back.

I wouldn't mind trying them but don't know how you clean them and how you would cook them.

Do you filet them or do you just gut/cut head off and cook (sort of like a trout)?

-bostoned

Offline DustyRhyno

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Giddy up!
Re: Cleaning & Cooking Tips?
« Reply #1 on: Jan 28, 2008, 09:18 AM »
We have always filleted them. My wife then lightly breads them before frying. Yummy!

Offline gonephishin19

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I CAN CATCH FISH IN A MUD PUDDLE
« Reply #2 on: Jan 28, 2008, 09:21 AM »
They taste great...I just fillet them, Dip in flour and egg and then your favorite breadcrumbs and fry in olive oil for about 5 mins or until crispy..(My favorite is to eat them like that on bread with mayonase) :woot: so good

Offline Van_Cleaver

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Feb 05, 2008, 07:43 PM »
Just had some gills for dinner. Here's my easiest method. Heat a little white wine, throw in fillets, season with dill and lemon pepper. When I have a bit more time, (or aren't so beat) I dip fillets in beaten egg, roll in seasoned bread crumbs and pan fry in melted butter till golden brown.....mmmmm. That will be tomorrows dinner!

Offline Piggyn

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Feb 10, 2008, 12:44 PM »
Fillet the gills, coat them with Andy's fish breading, deep fry in peanut oil, and you will never throw back a nice bluegill again!
Catching the lunkers of tomorrow today!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.